Makin' that thread

Sweet. I could see some of those rooms transforming into awesome gaming rooms. I've been thinking of making the switch from apartment to condo. The rent goes up but the service goes down in my building, lol.

Green_Lantern said:
STL I believe.

Ding! :eek:

Jim: This is my first house. Repossessed property in the outskirts of the city. I haven't shot photos of the beautiful upstairs area with it's brown shagpile carpet, drop ceiling tiles, and wall to wall wood paneling

Thanks folks!

To used: I don't believe there is any drywall in the whole house; it's 100% plaster (downstairs at least) with a concrete basement. That KILZ/damplock work on that?

for 50 grand, for it to have a roof is an accomplishment

fixer uppers are nice because you don't have to settle, make shit the way you want it

Damplock would be for the concrete basement, or any brick (interior/exterior) that needs to be sealed to stop moisture from getting in the house. I've used it on a basement, never on brick, but I know it works for that. Also, Damplock is just one of many brands, I'm sure. The idiots at Lowe's or Home Depot probably have something that would work and you just talked to the wrong idiot.

As for the Kilz working on plaster or stucco, I had to look it up since there's not much plaster work in AK. According to the Kilz website, the oil-based primers absolutely work on plaster. I've even used it before to cover the subflooring (plywood base layer) in an old house after we pulled the carpet and linoleum up.

Fun times. I'm sort of in a bind right now: leave the livingroom/dining room alone and just paint the bath/bed/kitchen. I want to remove all carpet; but leaving it down while I paint (free drop cloth! sounds like a fair idea. Oh bother!

Congratulations on the purchase. I'd love to find an inexpensive home with lots of potential. Did you go through a Realtor or how did you find it? Houses in Oregon are kinda out of my price range right now.

MattAY said:
Looks like it will be a pleasant home when finished! What's the area like?

Pretty good. neighbor is a police officer, army reservist, and named Marlin. Pretty badass.

More pics on thursday. Scraped paint, demolished that ugly fake fireplace to get to the brick under it (original falling apart brick fireplace.)

It's going well! sorry, got some images, work work work.

And this, yuck:
IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

What Will be my upstairs office, all hail paneling:
IMG_0106.jpg

Oh look painting!
IMG_0113.jpg

and bathroom redoing
IMG_0112.jpg

And look what I found under this cheap, plastic/wood fake mantle piece:
IMG_0103.jpg

Looks like it's going to be a lot of work. All I know is that my parents have done 3 major remodels on their house, plus a number of smaller ones since they've lived there. They're on their second mortgage (not at the same time, they paid off the first one early, took out another one to do a remodel, looks like they'll pay that off early too). Houses can be a lot of work.

That office/sex den looks nice.

If you stare at that sideways bathroom pic long enough, Gunner's comment starts to look accurate and it will freak you out.

I'm still working on it. Damn, some reason it turns them back sideways when I upload :\ Second to last picture you can see some brick through the gap; that leads down into the kitchen, working on getting a return vent up through there.
IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

That is quite a bit of work Eyebrows. I'm sure you will have a great feeling of accomplishment once you have it all straightened out. Congrats!

Word to the wise, when dealing with the insulation, cold shower afterwards. My brother worked insulation for a while, and he always said that. Warm shower opens the pores, that crap gets in, you'll itch for a while. Cold shower sucks momentarily, but you avoid the itch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod