ITT we post awesome things (Deez Sour Nets!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
madster111 said:
Urban, how many watts an hour do those solar grids put out?
grids or arrays?

I think you may be mixed up or they may be the same thing. you aussies.
It all depends on the size.

one panel will put out X amount of watts.
Panels put on houses tend to produce in kWh.
Arrays/grids in the desert or on wider scales (utility companies or industrial businesses) tend to produce in MWs.

Mostly it was the back and forth between Urbz, Eyebrows and I.

Also: "Hi, solar panel, my name is Supernova. What now?"
hs-1999-19-i-web.jpg

Bretimus_v2 said:
Mostly it was the back and forth between Urbz, Eyebrows and I.
Also: "Hi, solar panel, my name is Supernova. What now?"
hs-1999-19-i-web.jpg

People ALWAYS bring this up when discussing solar panels. without fail, EVERY conversation I have with people trying to put them on to solar - someone (usually reasonably educated) says, herp derp "what about a prolonged eclipse, or a black hole, or massive amounts of darkness".. and their usually serious.

Lets put it like this - if we are ever in a situation where this is a issue, the human race has BIGGER problems then it how plans on powering their homes.

COME AT ME

basically, there is NO REASON why the US shouldn't get behind this. The biggest obstacles are religious demagogues who dont think we need to invest in renewables because the good lord is going to call us ALL home soon.

Okay, I'll go off of offhand comments I've heard; the materials used to make solar panels are expensive, these materials come from China, which would have us by the balls.

solar panels are a cousin of the Toyota Prius, which is like being the cousin of Hitler. Do you want to be the supporter of the cousin of hitler? hmm?

I say we go nuclear, more fun that way. I mean shit, who wants to play A. Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, or B. Lovelies: Lets stroll through a solar park and recycle shit.

And urbs, i'll come at you all you want, you keep talkin' like that.
Performance_Artist.GIF

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Okay, I'll go off of offhand comments I've heard; the materials used to make solar panels are expensive, these materials come from China, which would have us by the balls.

solar panels are a cousin of the Toyota Prius, which is like being the cousin of Hitler. Do you want to be the supporter of the cousin of hitler? hmm?

I say we go nuclear, more fun that way. I mean s***, who wants to play A. Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, or B. Lovelies: Lets stroll through a solar park and recycle s***.

And urbs, i'll come at you all you want, you keep talkin' like that.

2mascotf027.png

Materials that are used to make solar panels can be found ALL OVER THE WORLD,and are especially found in the US. A lot of solar companies plant themselves in california (silicon valley) because of the cost of materials in the industry is cheaper because it is local. IN THE PAST, solar has been expensive because there was only one way of making panels in the industry - now PV systems are exclusively silicon based (which is grown on glass) now there is CIGS, CdTe, CdS, etc..

With the exception of silicon the materials used to create solar panels are cheap and abundant. The PROCESS of creating solar panels are expensive because it typically requires vacuum chambers and sometimes several different process steps.

comeatme.jpg

To be honest, of all of the alternative energy solutions, solar power tends to be the most feasible and constant. Wind power is much more inconsistent than solar. Blah blah blah. Arizona, where I grew up, has a couple solar farms and a lot of people have a few on their roof. They're a nice way to reduce your energy bill and I had one neighbor who actually had a negative energy consumption (note: the power company does not pay you back. I know because he would tell you the same stupid story every time he saw you). I just remember that if they break you're basically buying a new one, which whether it's cheap or not chaps my hide.

UrbanMasque said:
The biggest obstacles are religious demagogues who dont think we need to invest in renewables because the good lord is going to call us ALL home soon.
Hmm, as I recall the Lord gave us "dominion" over the land and the creatures, which in most cases means that you take care of it. Wasting resources seems contrary to my understanding of the topic. Also, by the quoted logic it would seem that using medicine to prolong life...blah blah blah...die already and stop using my resources!

Also, eyebrows, people who compare anything to Hitler are worse than Hitler. (I do, in fact, note the irony of this statement.)

I'm pretty sure Eyebrows was being sarcastic. Hopefully.

But still, solar panels are pretty cool. But it isn't quite awesome. You know what is awesome?

COLD FUSION MOTHERFUCKER!

I know. I just hate the practice. Also, I like the included paranthetical statement.

And I feel like I'm not adding to this thread in its intended purpose, so.....
drinkbirdwisc.gif

It's drinking the WATER!!!

Longo_2_guns said:
But still, solar panels are pretty cool. But it isn't quite awesome. You know what is awesome?

I agree. Cold Fusion is awesome - and so are the Xmen. Sadly, neither of those are real.

Longo_2_guns said:
I'm pretty sure Eyebrows was being sarcastic. Hopefully.

When am I not sarcastic?

Although I was being honest that the Prius is an awful thing. Needs to be destroyed.

I agree, somewhat. Or Prious owners. If all Prius's exploded, then we'd be able to lower overpopulation and faggot rates. Also, if all vans exploded we'd have fewer illegal immigrants. Also, if all Mercedes exploded we'd have a better distribution of wealth.

south-park_thaaannks.jpg

Hey it's good to have an opinion on prius! I'm just happy these guys are doing something for the environment, thaaaaaaaaaannks!

Fun Fact; The materials used to make the batteries for the prius damaged the environment (factoring in shipping) more than driving a land rover 100k miles in a year.

Urbs, your support of solor powah is suspect, biased source that you are. And you're putting coal miners out of work, and harming the coal miner's unions in the process.

REPUBLICAN.

Urban.

Solar panels are one of the stupidest things we can do, when we have the technology to build nuclear reactors which will power homes without any pollution, from a single relatively small facility.

Only the fear of morons who think 'hurr chernobyl' is holding us back from attaining cheap, easy, reliable and pollution free energy.

And dont get me started on the pathetic prius.
My response is simple.
Volkswagen Golf Bluemotion.

madster111 said:
Urban.

Solar panels are one of the stupidest things we can do, when we have the technology to build nuclear reactors which will power homes without any pollution, from a single relatively small facility.

Only the fear of morons who think 'hurr chernobyl' is holding us back from attaining cheap, easy, reliable and pollution free energy.

My response is simple.

I hope youre kidding, but if not I'm proud to be called a moron, especially when it comes from someone holding an opinion such as yours, and says 'hurr derr chernobyl was rare - and we should risk possible other incidents b/c probability of it happening again is low''. Meltdowns can make regions the size of Kansas uninhabitable. Nuclear reactors are FRAGILE F***ing things, and there is no accounting for human error in these places. Please look up Three Mile Island. Go ahead, what you do in your country is your business. Just don't bring that stuff here. You want to use nuclear reactors to create energy - do it on the moon.

You really cant use Three Mile Island as an example of the danger of nuclear power when the plant is still open and operational and will be for years to come. So actualy you should probably look it up before spouting off such ignorance.

Good job MattAY, I was getting bored of scrolling through an awesome thread and seeing nothing but text :?

Time to Simpson up this place rite hur!

If The Simpsons were in Twilight...
simpsonsfanart4.jpg

simpsonsfanart08.jpg

simpsonsfanart18.jpg

reservoirsimpsons.jpg

realsimpsons.jpg

simpsonsd.jpg

1107765margeandflanders.jpg

0527100933simpsonsfan14.jpg

thesimpsons708.jpg

homersimpson20081017022.jpg

bartanimewallpaper.jpg

lossimpsonsnavidad.jpg

thesimpsonzubyspacecoyo.jpg

UrbanMasque said:
madster111 said:
Urban.

My response is simple.

I hope youre kidding, but if not I'm proud to be called a moron, especially when it comes from someone holding an opinion such as yours, and says 'hurr derr chernobyl was rare - and we should risk possible other incidents b/c probability of it happening again is low''. Meltdowns can make regions the size of Kansas uninhabitable. Nuclear reactors are FRAGILE F***ing things, and there is no accounting for human error in these places. Please look up Three Mile Island. Go ahead, what you do in your country is your business. Just don't bring that stuff here. You want to use nuclear reactors to create energy - do it on the moon.

Three Mile Island killed...nobody, not even a chicken and released a whopping...0% of dangerous radiation.

There has only been 2 horrific nuclear power plant accidents, chernobyl is one, and another happened on the other side of the Urals in the 1950s and the russians covered that one up (at least according to some guy that has been banned from Russia for being a tad anti russian.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle