I want to go vegeterian...but i can't!

Do you think people should become vegeterians?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I don't know.Ask them.

• I like pie!

• Total voters
Trippysmurf said:
Enigma said:
Did you even consider that one of the reasons may be that their religion restricts their consumption of meat?

There are a lot of pompous "know-it-alls" in this forum.

You know a lot of religions would allow us to kill, enslave or pour acid on you for speaking out of place. What's your point?

Dietary laws, are for the most point, obsolete relics from a less enlightened age. They were based on the fact that thousands of years ago, we couldn't cook things properly, nor did we understand about bacteria, parasites, and other health risks inherit in undercooked meat.

Granted there is still a risk in consuming certain foods, but lately they seem to be based upon vegetables (the salmonella scares in tomatoes, spinach, etc.), thus negating the "only meat is bad" theory.

Lastly, human evolution has proven that we require the essential proteins and other nutrients found in meat. Most vegans and vegetarians supplement this by taking numerous multivitamins or supplements; however they often have iron deficiency issues, which omnivorous humans naturally do not suffer from.

PS: as a know-it-all, you spell "A LOT" wrong.

Speaking out of place? I'm simply speculating on what is the modern world. I work at a childcare centre and its my job to ensure that my staff don't feed Buddhist vegetarian children foods containing animal products, ginger or garlic. It's just a fact of life. Those children shouldn't be told that they aren't healthy simply because they don't eat meat.

We teach the kids about healthy eating and healthy living. If children can respect that another child doesn't eat meat because of their religion, or allergies, or beliefs... then I don't understand why adults can't.

Enigma said:
There are ALOT of good reasons for people to become a vegetarian or a vegan AND it is their choice. Who are you to tell them they are making the wrong decision?

Did you even consider that one of the reasons may be that their religion restricts their consumption of meat?

There are a lot of pompous "know-it-alls" in this forum.

..Enigma... "A Lot" is two words in the US.

You can give up eating RED meat, but that means no steak, burgers, just beef in general, and pork. To me thats a recipe for assy disaster.

I went Vegan for 6 months. it's simple really: Pasta, tofu, and loads of Portabella mushrooms cooked with garlic and vinegar.

That and I'm one of those people that can live off of anything mixed with garlic. You give me a head of lettuce and you'll get a sauteed garlic salad.

telefono said:
Just a bit off-topic but, has anyone heard about Obama's brutal murdering of a fly, and specially, PETA's reaction?

"Get out of here," the president told the insect. When it didn't, he waited for the fly to settle, put his hand up and then smacked it dead.
He then joked with his interviewer: "That was pretty impressive, wasn't it? I got the sucker."

Nothing can stop OBAMA!

I consider myself a pretty big health freak. I went vegetarian for 4 years when i was a teen and then completely vegan for two after that. All for health reason's I could care less about the animals.

The truth of the matter is I am the healthiest I have ever been since I started watching what I eat, and I am living off an organic balanced diet now, I eat meat, I just stay away from foods that treat your body like shit (fatty foods) and try to watch my calorie, sugar, salt, and alchohol intake. I think as far as health is concerned everyone just has to find their own "nitch" on what makes them feel the best. I am 6 foot 2 and 175 pounds. When I was eating vegan I was only around 160 which was pretty bad.

One problem with being a vegan is that it is hard to get the proper nutrition that we need to function. Mainly calcium and vitamin D. With a vegetarian diet it can be hard to get enough Vitamin B12 or iron if you aren't careful.

Lol whatever you do just make sure you eat Breakfast, No one does it anymore and it is seriously the most important meal you can eat.

Haha, GR sucks at helping people. Most of the people here are "MEN LOVE MEAT" people...I said people too many times.

If you really want to become a vegetarian, do it gradually, especially if you are currently a hardcore meat eater. Just start taking certain things out of your diet one item at a time. Don't all of a sudden take all meat out of your diet one day.

Another option is to not go hardcore veg either. There are a bunch of different levels of vegetarianism, you don't need to go vegan or anything. Like Longo mentioned, his sister is a pescatarian. She still eats fish. So that is an option.

If you want to do this for health reasons you could just cut out red meat, or have it once in a while. If your doing things because of the animals and you want them to be happier you could choose to only eat animals that weren't abused, etc.

You have tons of options, just do some research and go talk to a doctor about what is the right choice for your body.

letusprey said:
I just stay away from foods that treat your body like s*** (fatty foods)...

I'm sure you're just generally speaking about fats, but, specifically speaking, certain fatty foods (e.g., olive oil, peanut butter, nuts) do not treat your body like shit (unless you're allergic to nuts like I) and are quite beneficial for you.

Sorry to nitpick; just like to clarify that fats aren't altogether bad and are quite necessary for a properly balanced diet. It depends on what type of fat we're speaking of.

Also, you are skinny; get some meat on those bones!

Its annoying cause i believe that as humans we should be turning our diet towards one with more focus on vegetables and grain. Although i love meat, the way we try to thus substitute for it absolutely fails, e.g all those tofu "burgers", no, its not a burger.

Soy protien which is used in all these things, in itself is horrible for the body, inhibiting vitamin and mineral intake. From what i remember reading soy bean oil aint any better.

Anyway, but also looking at what is considered a traditional 'meal' plate, which i guess could be lets say a steak. The meat is the focal point, with your veg and prerequisite carb. Why is it always like this? They say we gotta get a balance of things, and i think most people think this is the balance.

Another problem is that vegetables these days just simply don't taste as gopod as they used too (when organic was a misnomer since there wasn't non-organic foods). Tomatoes are bland, lettuces are limp and so on. Looking at it, the meat industry isn't one all that much better and also i might add, McDonalds only cook their meat too kill off the bacteria and parasite because its shitty meat. Think about it, when you eat a steak do you always need to have it well done? Nope, and i would hope not casue tahts a steak wasted anyway.

I think it's a good idea to be vegetarian, getting there is gonna be hard, i dont think you can try to substitute vegetables for meat so you just gotta find an alternative all over together.

I tried to be a vegetarian for a little while to see what it would be like when I was in high school. I had a lot of Hindu friends who did not eat meat and they encouraged me to give it a go. So I did... I lasted about 2 months but in the end my undoing was mum cooking bacon and eggs on the BBQ one Sunday morning. I just LOVE bacon, lamb and fish. And eggs and fine cheeses too!

Since then though it defiantly made me re-evaluate my diet. I now choose a side of salad rather than chips and when at home cooking, opt for the smaller size of meat and larger portion of veggies. Thats easy for me though because I love veggies! Fruit however! :S

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo