I got a new TV!

UrbanMasque said:
Spending >$300 on a decent TV that also doubles as a Computer monitor is stupid. period.

Invest in HD Projector brah

In my last post I mentioned a projector and then edited it out. Weird!

I almost got one but the quality of projector I want is out of my budget and I don't have a dedicated HT room/wall space for a fixed frame screen or lighting and tensioned pullfowns are out of my budget. I do want a projector but it will be when I can build a dedicated home theater room.

Lethean said:
UrbanMasque said:
Spending >$300 on a decent TV that also doubles as a Computer monitor is stupid. period.

Invest in HD Projector brah

In my last post I mentioned a projector and then edited it out. Weird!

I almost got one but the quality of projector I want is out of my budget and I don't have a dedicated HT room/wall space for a fixed frame screen or lighting and tensioned pullfowns are out of my budget. I do want a projector but it will be when I can build a dedicated home theater room.

Projectors work so well against anywall in the house. Spend a bit more to get a high powered one you can use during mid-day.

With the amount of light coming in here the projector image would look washed out and our wall texture isn't ideal. Plus I can do 1500 on a tv. No way I can do 2.5 to 3k on a projector :(

Don't forget those bulbs. If you're running it all the time you'll probably go through 1x a year, and those bastards are expensive.

have made an agreement with the GF a while ago the next time I upgrade it will be for a super high end projector.

I don't think projectors are worth it until you drop the big bucks. then they're incredible.

Put your money towards something more important than a tv, fellas. Spending that much money on a tv = instant buyer's remorse after purchasing. You have an HD 50 inch? You're set. Anything above that is overkill and overpriced. OR wait til the next big thing and blow your wad on something truly innovative out of the box.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv9SdMeSEAM

meh I spent 6-8k on my entertainment center and I don't regret it at all. i prefer watching movies on it over a theater, so I save lots of money there..

and I love to watch movies, play video games and watch hockey games with friends etc. so i still feel it was a very worthwhile purchase. and the only thing I'll ever need to replace if I feel necessary is the TV itself. high end speakers last a lifetime as long as you take care of them and don't overly abuse them.

I put 20%+ of every single pay into savings/long term savings which i never touch and put 1-200 dollars into a savings account that is just for buying toys. its my fun account, if its empty, which i never allow it to be in case there is some crazy deal that pops up, i can't buy anything unnecessary. my way of choosing what i spend my money on carefully.

i have a pension, an IRA, and a 457. I know about saving for retirement, so it's good that you're already on that, but for me 6k or more is way too much to spend on a television setup. I spent way less on my entertainment center. Way, way less. I'd put that much money towards a new car. You must really love your movies. For that much money, I'm okay with just "being friends." It will last a lifetime, though, so long as you're not crazy with it.

Not judging though. It's your money, and i bet watching the game is awesome at your house, but it's a hockey game so who the fuck cares anyway.

Chris_Crime said:
i have a pension, an IRA, and a 457. I know about saving for retirement, so it's good that you're already on that, but for me 6k or more is way too much to spend on a television setup. I spent way less on my entertainment center. Way, way less. I'd put that much money towards a new car. You must really love your movies. For that much money, I'm okay with just "being friends." It will last a lifetime, though, so long as you're not crazy with it.

Not judging though. It's your money, and i bet watching the game is awesome at your house, but it's a hockey game so who the fuck cares anyway.

really though, everyone thinks spending money on some things is pointless and some things is worthwhile. whatever makes you happy, as long as you're saving properly and thinking about your future in the meantime.

Just as you said you'd put money towards a new car, I have zero interest in blowing money on a car that gets me from point A to point B and not much else. But if that makes you happy do it up. As long as my car is reliable and I don't have to throw money into repairs every other week I'm content.

Would love to have an awesome car if I was rich, but thats about it.

unfortunately most don't do that anymore though.. i have so many friends that are like 40-50k in debt.. and think its normal, its so pathetic. but if they want to live like that its up to them i guess. i'm personally terrified of debt.

We're in 60k worth of debt...Student loans. A lot of ppl don't even think of that as debt which is silly. I think there's an out of sight out of mind mentality when it comes to debt and until students graduate and see the first bill they won't realize that yes, they are in fact in debt.

We try to live as debt free as possible. We've paid off all but one or two of our credit cards (which we will have paid off by the end of this year) and will start spending the 315 a month we were putting on a car payment into a medium risk mutual fund, hopefully with a 6-8 percent interest rate. Higher would be nice but who knows in this economy. Do that for 20 years, factor in a 401K with a 5 percent company match and *possibly* a market link CD and we should be good for retirement.

I normally don't buy extravagant things. I only bought this T.V because, well, I simply wanted to haha. I won't be spending any more on a tv for years. Not until we're making a combined income of 100k a year or more, which this day in age isn't even a lot. Chris, I agree with you and if this wasn't something I was saving for I'd likely have not done it. I wouldn't dream of putting it on credit or anything like that. Or doing what a lot of people do which is think "hey I have money after the bills are paid! that means it's spare money!"

As far as TV size goes, a 70 inch would be awesome to have C-Nate. All 70s were out of the budget though. I could have gotten a Panasonic 65 inch S60 for 1500 but I had to weigh in whether or not I wanted to give up some PQ and 3D for 5 inches. Size matters but not *that* much.

Craig - You should just walk off with it. I doubt she'd notice a blank space where a 55 inch TV used to be.

intoTheRain said:
I have no debt, the GF has 50k student loans debt, but thats her not me :p I have no part of it.

Until you marry her! :p

Are you still with Elisha? Did I spell her name right?

Lethean said:
intoTheRain said:
I have no debt, the GF has 50k student loans debt, but thats her not me :p I have no part of it.

Until you marry her! :p

Are you still with Elisha? Did I spell her name right?

elisia, and yep. and no it will never be my debt and we're signing a prenup. romantic right?

she knew thats how i felt from the beginning though and was OK with it. too many friends who married people and they thought it was true love and "forever", then got divorced and wives took everything.

not happenin to me.

if the girl im with doesn't like it she can GTFO

Chris_Crime said:
Let her read your post and I think that would solve all your problems, Rain

what? what would she read that I haven't told her?

would you like me to video tape her reading my post? basically word for word the discussions we've had before on the topic.

Not at all. Still think that's pretty fucking cold no matter how logical and progressive it may seem. Probably could've been a bit more tactful than that is all.
I'll just remind myself that I'm the crazy one in this scenario.

I don't think its cold at all.
Its 2013, we don't live in a society in which women are at a disadvantage in the work place anymore.

Good job rain for not only using your brain but finding a girl great enough to understand the topic.

http://www.avoiceformen.com/
compassion for boys and men

Chris_Crime said:
Not at all. Still think that's pretty fucking cold no matter how logical and progressive it may seem. Probably could've been a bit more tactful than that is all.
I'll just remind myself that I'm the crazy one in this scenario.

And you made a topic where you were basically planning to bang your engaged boss if given the opportunity.

I guess your definition and my definition of cold are different.

What I've done hurts no one, if she didn't like it she had every right to move on.

That said, I liked it more when we were like this Chris

tumblr_mgy5g07Xnu1rdd58ro1_400.jpg

I'm beginning to feel more like this..

Crop-of-Rams-butting-heads-resized-600.png

So I'll leave it at that.

<3 Chris

Sourdeez said:
I don't think its cold at all.
Its 2013, we don't live in a society in which women are at a disadvantage in the work place anymore.

Good job rain for not only using your brain but finding a girl great enough to understand the topic.

http://www.avoiceformen.com/
compassion for boys and men

1338784566963.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod