take care

C_nate

Rookie
So to jump right into things, last month my dad passed away. One of the many side effects of this is that I've kind of become more withdrawn in all areas of my life than I usually am. Like I've been checking my e-mail once a week for example and it's why I have not been around that much online at all.

I thought about writing a long blog post about it, but decided it's not the right place for it.

Not to get into a whole long thing like I usually do, but I'll probably not be around that much for a while. Might drop by from time to time to drop an overly long, overly opinionated, post about something one of you wrote, but in the meantime I'll be focused on my family and my games.

Sorry to hear that. Try not to let the grief eat at you too much, but don't bundle it all up either. My condolences.

I don't know how to understand that feeling until it happens to me. Sorry to read. Stay strong

My condolences Nate. Losing a parent is extremely difficult, and if you feel like posting about it if it helps we're all ears man. Mourn as much as you need to man but try not to withdraw. We'll do our parts to help here and make it our jobs to say something explosive enough to bait you into commenting about it. ;)

BdY39Gd.jpg

Stay up dude,
Urban

Hey C_nate, I'm very sorry to hear about your father. That's tragic news. My condolences goes out to you and the rest of your family. Please take care of yourself and your family. Check in when ever you want, chances are we'll be here.

Look after yourself and please, have a good Christmas with your family.

See you around, man.

C_nate. I'm so sorry that you're going though this. I lost my mom ten years ago to a six-month battle with cancer and this year I lost my brother to a motorcycle accident. Losing my family has been the hardest trial I've faced. I may not be in your shoes but I've walked the path twice.

I don't know where you are in life, but let me give you some hard won nuggets that helped me.

1. You have the right to grieve. To cry, be angry, be whatever. If you're feeling something there is a good chance it's part of the grieving process. Don't be ashamed.
2. Communicate. Don't shut yourself off. Talk to your loved ones. Find a confidante you can just talk to, a priest, a therapist, a friend to go share a drink.
3. In all your grief, take a moment to consider your day to day actions and their consequences on yourself and those around you. (Don't so anything drastic. )

Take it, leave it. Your call. But most importantly, I wish you the best and hope you know you have friends around you and here as well who care.

As someone who has also lost a family member, I agree completely with what Bretimus says.

Everyone goes through the grieving process differently. Believe me, talking about it is the best thing that you can do.

Sorry to hear, Nate. I wish you the best whatever you're up to, you're a top bloke.

Be there for people, and let them be there for you.

Hey guys, first off I just wanted to say thanks for all the kind words. It meant a lot.

It's a new year now and I always start every new year with a bunch of idealistic notions and one of the things I wanted to try and tackle was these mixed emotions I've been dealing with, so if you don't mind reading a bit (as in, a lot probably) I'd like to write some about what happened.

So to start out, my dad had been struggling off and on for nearly a decade with prostate cancer. It was something that went on so long it kind of faded into the background but was still always present in everyone's mind. The last few years it had finally started to win and his health had started to decline at an increased rate, but in the end it wasn't the cancer that killed him, It was actually a complication from it. A massive blood clot that traveled from his leg to his lungs.

The day my father died, my mother called me sometime before noon and said that he was a little worse than usual and was having some trouble breathing. One of the many, many, "What ifs?" that have been circling in my brain since that day was what if we had called the paramedics the very moment the said that. But instead we went over to visit and while my dad was a bit more out of it than usual, he didn't seem to be in any immediate distress. So we told my mom to keep an eye on him and if his condition worsened, to call an ambulance. Well, later on that night, that is exactly what happened.

I got a text later on after midnight saying that they took him in cause he was having even more trouble breathing. Not long after I got another text saying that things were getting worse and if I could get there, I should. I quickly threw on some clothes, and as I was rushing out the door, got the final text saying that he was gone. It happened that fast.

I still went there to see him and my family. The whole experience was very surreal and I was pretty numb throughout.

Since then, I've been struggling with all typical feelings associated with losing someone. Anger, guilt, sadness, depression, and so on. There are days I forget he's even gone, and there are other days where I can't stop thinking of him. I started thinking of my relationship with my dad over the years and realized it probably has a lot to do with all the conflicting feelings I've been having about his passing as well as slowly coming to terms with the circumstances surrounding his passing in regard to more, "what if he did this differently, or that?"

We're doing our best to pick up the pieces of everything left unsaid and unfinished and get on with our lives and some days are like any other day and other days, not so much.

I'm not sure if I'll ever resolve all my issues with everything and there are times that gnaws at me relentlessly but other than that, life is kind of getting back to the day to day.

So that's what's been going on. Sorry if this post is a bit of a downer, and thanks for reading.

Hey Nate,

Thanks for sharing. Its crazy how things can quickly escalate and no one is really ever "in the clear" until its gone completely.

Try not to entertain the what if's very much. If you feel it helps as a part of your healing then don't fight it, but do NOT play up the guilt. Easier said than done, I know, because you have to actively break your trances when your mind drifts and in a way the what if scenarios are comforting too because in those daydreams your loved one is still with you. I still do that occasionally with my dad (passed away from a stroke a few years back - and lead an extremely toxic lifestyle).

One of the things that helped me was talking with my mom. Before that point, my relationship with my mom was loving but not intimate in the way where we confided in each other. She was talking about how much she should have forced him to have a better diet, exercise more, cook better meals, etc,. and those memories brought out some laughs, but in the end I recognized it as her housing some guilt. After talking with her a bit over time, it moved to discussing funny memories, annoying habits, and recent dreams.

Its natural to notice the absence at random points, on random days, for no reason at all - but Keep talking it out, with family, friends, professionals - whatever helps.

I'm not a grief counselor and I don't know much about life, but I'm just telling you what I would say if you were my relative or my good friend (which you are). Give it time. No matter how you grieve time will help heal your heart. Be strong for your mom and have some laughs with her, because you are her connection to him. I hope this helps a bit. Stay up man!

No worries Nate, thanks for sharing.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, if we had that then everything would be hunky dory!
And Mr Masque is spot on - time heals all wounds. No one is expecting you to get over this in a week or so.
And be strong for your relatives, talk to them and let them talk to you. Team effort!

Just don't grab an uzi and climb a clock tower ;)

Take care of yourself Nate, were all here for you if you need anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod