Ready to puchase my new TV... but..

intoTheRain

Regular
I have a question maybe someone can help me with..

I've googled to my hearts content but cannot find any solid information. People have told me that TV prices tend to drop off a lot in February but I cannot seem to find any proof, nor reason of this.

The closest thing I can find is that the lower end companies like Vizio will start to pump out the new models (LEDs), so the big boys like Samsung and Sony will have to lower their prices to compete, as a Vizio would go for 1/3rd the price.

It makes sense, but I see no information pointing to the fact it will happen in February.

Another reason being the new models come out, making the old models cheaper.

Anyway, question is, does anyone know about TV trends and if TV's, specifically LEDs will be dropping in price anytime soon? I just don't want to go drop 3k on a TV and have the price drop 1K two weeks afterwards.. I'm not looking to buy until at least Feb, but even still, if I knew prices were going to drop significantly as early as march/april or maybe as far as may, i'd probably hold off, if not I'll probably purchase in the next few weeks, as soon as i see a good sale on the TV I'm looking at.

edit: and before someone comes in and tells me an LED TV is just a fancier LCD TV but marketed as something totally different, i know. :p

Hey now, I have a 60" Vizio LED and it looks pretty damn nice. I dunno how much it was, but fairly expensive (I got it around Christmas). But if you're on a budget Vizio would be your best bet.

not really on a budget, i know which one i'm getting, just wanna get it at a good time.

getting the Samsung 55" LED 120Hz

been waitin for the right TV for years, and that TV is it :)

and yea, the power consumption is like 40% less than an LCD which is a strong selling point for me.. and not gonna lie I love how flat they are, even though space isn't an issue for me.

Don't let anyone convince you that 120mhz eliminates motion blur...I have a 40 inch Samsung LCD 120 and it gets horrible motion blur at times on blu ray and HD sports. Sometimes it works smooth as a babies ass though, must just depend on the different color contrasts that you might notice it more.

I'm convinced all HDTVs have blur during sports and it has more to do with how it is broadcast and not how the TV displays.

Intotherain, very happy.

I've never noticed ANY motion-blur on my plasma, and it's about two years old now.

I think it depends on the brand, but more so on the specific features. Also, from personal experience LCDs seem to experience much more motion blur than Plasmas.

50"+ Pioneer plasma TVs is where it's at, apparently.

I personally don't care for most 120hz t.vs that I've seen. The image is way too clear and sharp. It feels like I'm watching a digital video. Film's aren't meant to look that clear. Most are shot at 24fps and here's television sets forcing 120 out of them. Maybe I'll get used to it the more I see it, maybe not.

Either way that's a good quality T.V you're picking up!

Lethean said:
I personally don't care for most 120hz t.vs that I've seen. The image is way too clear and sharp. It feels like I'm watching a digital video. Film's aren't meant to look that clear. Most are shot at 24fps and here's television sets forcing 120 out of them. Maybe I'll get used to it the more I see it, maybe not.

You just turn off the 120Hz for programs you don't like it with. What you're talking about is the "soap opera effect", where the picture looks almost too real. When you watch a movie it looks you're watching a play. I believe it is good for video games and sports however.

EliaSoZ said:
I've never noticed ANY motion-blur on my plasma, and it's about two years old now.

I think it depends on the brand, but more so on the specific features. Also, from personal experience LCDs seem to experience much more motion blur than Plasmas.

50"+ Pioneer plasma TVs is where it's at, apparently.

Your plasma is probably 600Hz, and are known to have little if any problems with motion blur. 60Hz LCD's had lots of problems with motion blur which is why 120Hz and 240Hz are now available. There is definitely a difference between 60 and 120, but I'm skeptical about 120 to 240.

And I thought about a pioneer plasma, but they're ridiculously expensive.

I also was thinking about the 54" panasonic plasma, but I think the samsung 55 LED is what i want after a ton of research.

intoTheRain said:
Lethean said:

You just turn off the 120Hz for programs you don't like it with. What you're talking about is the "soap opera effect", where the picture looks almost too real.

Yeah, I know that's what it is which is why I mentioned it :p. Didn't know you could turn it off though. Would be interesting to see how film's look with it turned off.

Lethean said:
intoTheRain said:
Lethean said:

You just turn off the 120Hz for programs you don't like it with. What you're talking about is the "soap opera effect", where the picture looks almost too real.

Yeah, I know that's what it is which is why I mentioned it :p. Didn't know you could turn it off though. Would be interesting to see how film's look with it turned off.

Should look the same as a 60Hz TV

tis just like a monitor how u can change the refresh rate

Lethean said:
Nice. Well then maybe it's worth the investment when we get a new t.v. Thanks for that info!

i'm sure when you get a new tv it'll all be about 3D TV's. be a totally different story

advancing technology is so great, yet so flocking annoying at the same time..

i'd wait for 3D, even though it doesn't interest me in the least TBH, but i know if i wait for 3D, 4D will be just around the corner and I'd have to wait for that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle