I could care less

FrozenBacon

Veteran
Am I the only one who is annoyed every time this phrase is spoken, or read? I am not a grammar nazi, by any means, but whenever someone says this phrase, their disregard for what they are actually saying is so blatant that it irritates me.

If you could care less, why even bother expressing your opinion? If you care about the subject but not by much, why do you not say that instead? If you really could not care, then just say "couldn't care less"!

Could care less has to be the dumbest slang term I ever heard.

o lawd i no wat u mean 2 dawg! i say the otha day a frien o mine was typin the wors shit onntha planet and it was pissin me off!

Well they could care less, but they don't, so they have to add their two cents. But if they really "couldn't care less," they wouldn't say anything, or they're pompous liars.

We live in a text generation where kids will grow up to become illiterate and you're worried about that saying?

Actually, double negatives bother me so I can understand your pet peeve.

I could care less about that. However, what bothers me the most is that when you pull the first tissue from a tissue box, you end up getting 2 instead of one. Every single time. Fucking annoying.

StalfrosCC said:
People who get upset over this need other things to think about. They should probably masturbate more.
keepithowitis said:
what bothers me the most is that when you pull the first tissue from a tissue box, you end up getting 2 instead of one. Every single time. f****** annoying.

Was this what you had in mind, Stal?

keepithowitis said:
I could care less about that. However, what bothers me the most is that when you pull the first tissue from a tissue box, you end up getting 2 instead of one. Every single time. f****** annoying.

Sometimes you just need more than one.

And that link earlier, gnarly.

It bugs me, not because it's the incorrect phrase but because it conveys the exact opposite of what the speaker wishes to say. The phrase is meant to say that the person doesn't care about whatever they are talking about, not one bit. Instead, what they're actually saying is that they care at least a little bit; they could care a lot or they might care a smidge but on a scale of 0-10 of caring with 0 being not at all they're at least a 1.

To anyone saying there are better things to be concerned about well, yes there are. But pedants are capable of multi-tasking just as much as anyone else.

Bretimus_v2 said:
StalfrosCC said:
People who get upset over this need other things to think about. They should probably masturbate more.
keepithowitis said:
what bothers me the most is that when you pull the first tissue from a tissue box, you end up getting 2 instead of one. Every single time. f****** annoying.

Was this what you had in mind, Stal?

In that scenario two tissues are better than one!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle