Food Inc

piracer

Rookie
I just finished watching this movie and i know its a feel months old (was waiting for torrent) and wanted to know if anyone else here has watched it in the first place and of course thoughts, especially our American friends since this is based on their homeland.

With regards to how it affects me, i personally have stopped eating at most fast food places (i have not touched McDonalds since 2004) and i do try to persuade my family to buy organic and what not, even though, yes it is far more expensive.

Thoughts?

That movie kinda blew my mind. I was also surprised how it also affect tofu (I.e the tofu farmers) and how the remaining "old style" meat farmers are being harassed by the big meat industry.

Totally worth the watch.

And i haven't been to a MacDonald since 2000

If it's one thing I've learned, it's that movies stop big bad corporations!

Supersize Me stopped McDonalds
Fahrenheit 9/11 stopped George Bush
March of the Penguins stopped Penguin orgies

...wait just a gosh darn second here... why... those movies didn't stop any of that at all! Not one bit! THOSE SONS OF BITCHES!

WHY GOD WHY?

i'll explain myself a little. there's a movie about any and every niche these days, which was the bigger point of BlackStar's post. Conspiracy theory, food at McDonalds. WE know this stuff already, and someone's profiting off of the zeal of an internet meme.
If you already know this stuff, why would you blow money on it? Well, if you torrent the movie, I guess you've wasted nothing. But you're marketing for them for free.. so it balances out in the producer's favor in a way.
There's lots of things to care about, and every one of them has their own movie with some dude raging against something.

having said that, i'd like to see this movie myself because i know it's gonna be interesting. You've pulled me in! where's your 10%? :p

But the purpose is not about marketting the product, its about the message that is in the movie of our food. I wanted to hear people's thoughts about it and what we think of our food industry. It's the same as every discussion here on this forum.

I was going to pay to watch this in the cinema's when it came, but as it was, it came and went, which is why i torrented it.

I mean, there were also a lot of things in there that i didn't know off before, like how much corn is really part of our food structure now days.

I wouldn't have heard about this movie without this topic... but I had a feeling this movie or one like it was out there. I don't know much about deforestation either, but I have a feeling there's a movie about that too somewhere.
But you're into cooking and so am I. So this makes sense.

I found a megavideo link and will definitely check it out.

I still prefer the good ol days when food was completely fresh almost everywhere you went.

These days, apples have about 20% of the nutrients they should have.

madster111 said:
These days, apples have about 20% of the nutrients they should have.
Actually, I was shocked when I realized that a serving of 100% apple juice has about 10% DV of Vitamin C.

The problem is that you're eating apples. Oranges are much better. if you eat the skin, you're set for the day.

*nomnomnomnom*

Chris_Crime said:
Cast Level 17 Ugh Defense
aka calling Ugh to the thread

never mind, he'll probably just agree with you both.
Ugh summoned:
Chris_Crime used Ugh to release thoughts:

I never saw this movie. From what I read, people are trying too hard to become healthier. McDonald's is one the most leading fast food chains because Ray Kroc made every McDonald's the same. Same type of management, same food, same tools etc. He figured out if everything was being made the same way, he would use that to his advantage. People thought he was crazy, but look at his family's wealth now? Ray Kroc was just a great entrepreneur.

But there's a time for everyone to leave the greasy and fattening place. As I said in my New Year's resolution, I'm leaving that company. I'm tired and the stress level is extremely high when dealing with customers complaining their fries aren't hot even though that were just from the fryers. Please help UghRochester find a new job

Vince Edwards said:
"If you can grow a chicken in 49 days why would you want one you gotta grow in 3 months."

Bravo, Edwards.

I'm only about 15 minutes into this movie and I'm sure the director will spin this man's words against him soon enough, but if you CAN grow a chicken in 49 days WHY would you want one you gotta grow in 3 months???

I bet the director was fuming by this point.

Ugh, the very first people they attack were the McDonalds Brothers. i'll send you a link

Chris_Crime said:
Vince Edwards said:
"If you can grow a chicken in 49 days why would you want one you gotta grow in 3 months."

Bravo, Edwards.

I'm only about 15 minutes into this movie and I'm sure the director will spin this man's words against him soon enough, but if you CAN grow a chicken in 49 days WHY would you want one you gotta grow in 3 months???

I bet the director was fuming by this point.

Ugh, the very first people they attack were the McDonalds Brothers. i'll send you a link

Well, i don't know how much you've watched the movie by now, but you seem to have a lack of care of where your food comes from... Don't you think that all these hormones are wrong inside our meat? That a chicken is grown so fast for the meat that its bones and internal organs can't catch up? And on the culinary side, this kind of meat is flavorless - sure it might be tender and yields large amounts of meat, but whats the point to eating a sponge than?

flavorless? add spices maybe?

No actually I'm with you more than you think.
But how sure can you really be that your food is 100% organic? That's my only issue with organics.
I'd like to see some proper regulation showing when and where - some real accountability - but I doubt it's coming anytime soon seeing as how Americans like their food fast and cheap.

Maybe so, but you can still only add so much spice :S

But of course theres the issue of what organic still means, i believe its quite a loose term at the moment, but i feel its start more then anything else.

dude that one farmer reminded me of Ted Wolff. In a good way of course. Like if Ted Wolff were a farmer, he'd probably be like that farmer.

Welp finished watching the movie.

Basically it's everything you already know, people. So start buying more from your Farmers' Market and such, or you're not eco cool. And if you're not eco cool, then you're not cool at all. Also buy a Mac?

No but that's messed how this one company basically patents the freaking soy bean. They literally patent life and control almost all soy bean seed sold in America, so if you're growing you basically go through them (or they sue ya one way or another).

After checking the Food Inc trailer out on youtube and reading some of the comments, you can see for yourself that people in other countries judge americans one way or the other because of this film. I'd like to see an investigative film about the food regulatory system found in other countries, especially when america is used as a template for just about every damn thing (xept health care :D) there is in the world when it concerns industry..
But this movie didn't take sides other than the obvious one -- your personal health.
It did pull back the veil on some big political figures.. lobbyists turned politician turned VP of Tyson Chicken sorts.. but I bet that's going on all over the world.

that's why regulation is so difficult. the food industry is world wide but found in your super market, any change is fucking with someone's money along the way, even if that someone is in Brazil.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle