Food Inc

I thought what was pretty sad to see was also how the Mexican workers were treated. I mean, its pretty rough like it showed that they come along for 15 days or so, then have be given of as a 'quota'.

But i agree, the Minsanto thing is pretty bad...

15 days? The movie says 15 years. I know there's a ton of illegals floating around, but every 15 days is just ridiculous... what company could afford that processing every 15 days?

15 years is a good run for an illegal. Admirable.

I don't remember it saying 15 years... But i don't remember it saying 15 days either...

oh and Chris, about you saying this is stuff people already know. Well sadly, that's not the case, ok granted in this situation i was at a party and somehow i started going on about this whole issue here, and ok, so i was only talking to 6 other people but non of them had a clue of what was going on.

Annoying of course, being drunk and talking to slightly drunk people didn't help and they thought i was high when i started going on about how HFCS will fuck you up.

Well simply cause their idiots. Ok, I might be wrong but one of them was wearing his cap backwards, which might have indicated a failed audience in the first place, but i thought i would try.

I like to believe most Americans know this stuff but are too stubborn to change their ways. But i wasn't too shocked about any one thing in the film. We've seen bits and pieces of the same stuff on the evening news throughout the years.

Chris_Crime said:
I like to believe most Americans know this stuff but are too stubborn to change their ways.

I don't know about that.

(Finally got around to watching this, so thought I'd update the topic!)

I found the movie interesting (nothing shocking; I knew most of it already) because of my recent experience. I'm from Iowa, and went to Iowa State University, so the focus on ISU corn research and Iowa farmers is a topic I'm close to.

Now my experience consists of two parts.

1. My girlfriend currently attends ISU as a dietitian. So it's humorously ironic that the type of corn research that contributes to food that isn't exactly the best for you goes on right under the noses of the people who study how to help people eat better. And guess what? Most of those dietitians don't know the deeper story. This health topic (corn research, corn uses, industrial farming, etc.) isn't taught in the classroom. Heck, my gf and some of her classmates didn't even know about this stuff until they watched it in one of their club meetings (that is, outside of class), and even then, they only saw it because the local food coop ("the" organic food store) in town gave them the video.

So what Chris says is both correct and incorrect. One, this movie just preaches to the choir (funny that the Stonyfield guy in the movie mentioned this too, and then the movie he appears in falls victim to that same problem). Two, not everyone knows about this.

2. I work as a facilitator for a research project (also through ISU) that works to educate local families about nutrition. Guess what again? Yep, these families don't know the truth. These are families that grow up around corn and livestock farming, families that live in the heart of it all. And yet they don't even know how to read food labels and what to look for on those labels.

Simply put, a lot of people don't know "the whole truth," either because they don't want to, don't care, or simply don't know, even those who are closest to it.

Heck, even informing them isn't enough. The movie made a stink about how food companies resisted calorie label mandates, but research hasn't even yet shown that those labels even help. In fact, a study investigating the calorie intake of people after New York mandated calorie labels found that people consumed more calories! So the stubbornness Chris says is also true.

All in all, I thought the movie was decent. It focused too much on big, bad corporations and not enough on the problems with government facilitating that big-badness.

And for the record, the movie stated the illegal workers work with that company for about 15 years, but every day 15 or so are rounded up as a "quota," so it's always a revolving door, but not so much that the workers are all new and untrained.

Oh, and lol @ Chris's comment about me and the farmer. That guy was pretty cool!

I haven't watched this movie, but if the message is "McDonald's food is bad for you", well, you don't have to be the brightest kid around to know that.

What really bugs me about McDonald's and other big fast food companies is what they teach you about food, what they make you get used to; boring food made without love or passion. Food is to be loved and enjoyed.

I took a Sociology of Food course, and one of our biggest issues was genetically modified food, and the local/organic options. The system is really fucked up. I quit eating fast food, and cancelled my meal plan this semester, so i buy my own food and cook it on campus. I don't trust shit when it comes to food production. It is really killing us all slowly.

Ted_Wolff said:
funny that the Stonyfield guy in the movie mentioned this too, and then the movie he appears in falls victim to that same problem

I'm waving hello from my deluxe big breakfast® desk.

Agreed Rain, its hard to trust now where your food comes from. I was in the supermarket the other day with a friend and I was having this sort of conversation. He was saying that its impossible to escape from it, which i think is totally wrong.

Like the message in the movie tells us, whatever we buy does have a vote on what might be sold in the future. It is so difficult now days to find juice that is just that - pure juice. Now its all filled with perservatives and uneeded extra sucrouse or fructose sweetening.

Whilst labels might not be totally effective, i think its important to know what does go inside, and for said juice, i try to find juices that are 100% fruit juice. Its hard, and i pay a bit more, but atleast i know its the 'right' thing to do and it'll be better for me, and finally, more often then not, taste better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle