Solar Flares and You

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by Bretimus_v2, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Interesting article

I always find this stuff interesting, I don't know why. I think you get so caught up worrying about the minutia of your own life (why am I still eating so much high fructose corn syrup) that you forget about the people, environment, etc. around you.

I guess what mostly interested me is that the solar flares have the ability to disrupt (I think destroy would be too strong a word) so much of what we are becoming used to. The majority of it appears to be dealing with electromagnetic pulses that will mess with our sattelites. Luckily, we're safe our atmosphere is quite good at deflecting radiation. We keep expanding our scope. It used to be sayings like "a whole village to raise a kid", or "it's a small world" worked, but apparently "it's a small solar system" seems more apt to describe the situation we're facing here.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, and was wondering, a little

2. Rakon

Rakon Rookie

Man, the sun is awesome. A ball of fire so big it cannot be comprehended? Suck it Zeus, Ra is my man.

3. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

You mean Amaterasu...duh.

My boss is an astronomy nut. He told me about this and how it could cause more damage than you'd think. 'tis pretty nifty.

And I dont know why, but I love the photo of the day with the two ladies doing yoga. "Say helloooo 2 da sun!"

4. Hlallu

Hlallu Rookie

Is it ironic that mine and a few of my friends cell phones arent working right now lol? Or is verizon just being an ass?

-Edit: Never mind, it had something to do with something near me. I think its funny if cellphones are down, EVERYONE freaks out and flocks to their computers to complain through statuses, but dont think of talking to the people they were texting through IMS.

5. DocMoc

DocMoc Rookie

Our sun is just a kid. Want to see something that will blow your mind?

VY Canis Majoris.

It takes light almost three hours to travel around the circumference of this baby.

6. lokness

lokness Rookie

I saw something similar last night on TV. it was a space doco and mentioned how an giant magnectic field was protecting the solar winds or flares or whatverthefuckitscalled from frying us all. It had something to do with the Earths iron core. Mecury is the only other planet that has an iron core and also has this field, although its too close to the sun to protect it.

7. Wes

Wes Rookie

This will always blow my mind

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Haha, I remember Paradox posting something like that about a year ago. It blew my mind too!

9. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Canis majoris? Seriously? I'm not educated in Latin, but doesn't that mean something like "Big Dog?"

I love nerd scientists.

10. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

They always name new discoveries rubbish names. Usually it's the cliche naming it after the wife.
    I actually quite like Big Dog in Latin, if I was a scientist I'd probably do the same to be honest!

11. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Yeah we both saw that.

And that if the sun had a burp tomorrow we'd all be fucked.

12. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

13. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

The Sun: "FEEL MY WRATH PLANET EARTH! MUWAHAHAHAHA... oh shit here comes VY, play it cool man..."

14. DocMoc

DocMoc Rookie

Me too.

That star is one Big Dog. It's the biggest dog!

15. Wes

Wes Rookie

That we know of...

16. schimmel

schimmel Rookie

Really? Nobody's gonna sig this?

17. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

My comment for the video is simply this: It doesn't matter how big it is, it just matters how much fun you have with it.

And I'm enjoying Earth plenty...wouldn't catch me anywhere near those big planets. I'm no chubby chaser.

18. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, I need to think about it. Since I'll conquer Earth pretty soon, I need to think about where to go next. Saturn looks cool. In fact, I'll claim Pluto afterwards, then I'll make it big enough to return to our solar system!!

19. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Speaking of Pluto, why the hell is it no longer called a planet???? Because they discovered something new about it that doesn't classify it as one?

Hrmph! Science is like a blabber mouth that ruins a movie by telling you how it ends! Well I say there are things we don't want to know! Important things!

20. DocMoc

DocMoc Rookie

The problem with Pluto is that there are bodies beyond it that are bigger. In fact, there were several found that were larger than Pluto and there is a Pluto sized asteroid in the belt. Scientists were debating whether these other objects should be classified as planets and many disagreed. Pluto is now in a new category called "planetoids".