Solar Flares and You

Bretimus_v2

So tired.
Interesting article

I always find this stuff interesting, I don't know why. I think you get so caught up worrying about the minutia of your own life (why am I still eating so much high fructose corn syrup) that you forget about the people, environment, etc. around you.

I guess what mostly interested me is that the solar flares have the ability to disrupt (I think destroy would be too strong a word) so much of what we are becoming used to. The majority of it appears to be dealing with electromagnetic pulses that will mess with our sattelites. Luckily, we're safe our atmosphere is quite good at deflecting radiation. We keep expanding our scope. It used to be sayings like "a whole village to raise a kid", or "it's a small world" worked, but apparently "it's a small solar system" seems more apt to describe the situation we're facing here.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, and was wondering, a little

Man, the sun is awesome. A ball of fire so big it cannot be comprehended? Suck it Zeus, Ra is my man.

You mean Amaterasu...duh.

My boss is an astronomy nut. He told me about this and how it could cause more damage than you'd think. 'tis pretty nifty.

And I dont know why, but I love the photo of the day with the two ladies doing yoga. "Say helloooo 2 da sun!"

Is it ironic that mine and a few of my friends cell phones arent working right now lol? Or is verizon just being an ass?

-Edit: Never mind, it had something to do with something near me. I think its funny if cellphones are down, EVERYONE freaks out and flocks to their computers to complain through statuses, but dont think of talking to the people they were texting through IMS.

I saw something similar last night on TV. it was a space doco and mentioned how an giant magnectic field was protecting the solar winds or flares or whatverthefuckitscalled from frying us all. It had something to do with the Earths iron core. Mecury is the only other planet that has an iron core and also has this field, although its too close to the sun to protect it.

This will always blow my mind

sunearthsizecomparison.jpg

sunscale.png

Haha, I remember Paradox posting something like that about a year ago. It blew my mind too!

Canis majoris? Seriously? I'm not educated in Latin, but doesn't that mean something like "Big Dog?"

I love nerd scientists.

They always name new discoveries rubbish names. Usually it's the cliche naming it after the wife.
I actually quite like Big Dog in Latin, if I was a scientist I'd probably do the same to be honest!

lokness said:
I saw something similar last night on TV. it was a space doco and mentioned how an giant magnectic field was protecting the solar winds or flares or whatverthefuckitscalled from frying us all. It had something to do with the Earths iron core. Mecury is the only other planet that has an iron core and also has this field, although its too close to the sun to protect it.
Yeah we both saw that.

And that if the sun had a burp tomorrow we'd all be fucked.

used44 said:
Canis majoris? Seriously? I'm not educated in Latin, but doesn't that mean something like "Big Dog?"

I love nerd scientists.

Me too.

That star is one Big Dog. It's the biggest dog!

Paradox said:
MattAY said:
Haha, I remember Paradox posting something like that about a year ago. It blew my mind too!

then please allow me blow you again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Hy-tsxkZI&feature=related

My comment for the video is simply this: It doesn't matter how big it is, it just matters how much fun you have with it.

And I'm enjoying Earth plenty...wouldn't catch me anywhere near those big planets. I'm no chubby chaser.

Well, I need to think about it. Since I'll conquer Earth pretty soon, I need to think about where to go next. Saturn looks cool. In fact, I'll claim Pluto afterwards, then I'll make it big enough to return to our solar system!!

Speaking of Pluto, why the hell is it no longer called a planet???? Because they discovered something new about it that doesn't classify it as one?

Hrmph! Science is like a blabber mouth that ruins a movie by telling you how it ends! Well I say there are things we don't want to know! Important things!

The problem with Pluto is that there are bodies beyond it that are bigger. In fact, there were several found that were larger than Pluto and there is a Pluto sized asteroid in the belt. Scientists were debating whether these other objects should be classified as planets and many disagreed. Pluto is now in a new category called "planetoids".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod