Disturbing moments in gaming.

Trippysmurf said:
Dead Space. High Def television and surround sound, playing in the dark. Listening to the sound of water and metal bang on metal all around me. Slowly creeping towards a new area when my friends out of nowhere ask "Why don't you go in the room Mike?"

i honestly didn't find dead space scary in the least.

also my top shocking moment is in resident evil 4. it's not a scary game, but seeing leon's head get cut off by a chainsaw for the first time freaked me out. i have a problem with chainsaws anyway. everyone tells me the remake of the texas chainsaw massacre isn't scary, but i cant sit through the whole thing

i don't know about that... the remake was decently disturbing and gory. i don't know about you guys, but seeing Leatherface throw salt on that one guys stump to "tender it up" a little bit... my freakin' leg started aching like hell when i saw that scene.

Oh, God of War... the first time I started a kill sequence on one of those giant cyclops things; stabbing it in the eye, slitting its throat, etc. That kinda weirded me out at first, but I realized the game follows Greek mythology pretty well so it's all good in a way.

Ok, finished FEAR 2 a couple of days ago and the ending is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen in a game.

SPOILER

>I've never been raped in a game before.<

Dead Space, that game was fucking crazy, my guy got impaled by a spike, lifted up off the ground, had his arm and a leg chopped off with the other blade, and then finally had his head decapitated, and seeing Isasc's body movement showed he was in a ton of agony there, that was pretty disturbing...

Something else disturbing as well- in Bioshock, with the mannequin splicers... seriously those things creeped me out, they are there when you see them, when you turn around they are gone.

Good god, JCD! wtf, man!? You must PM me a summary of that game's plot because I'll never play it and I want it spoiled further.

Solaris10 said:
SIlent hill one.... Lisa s death scene when you found out she is dead....... man sad and scary.

Daaammmnnn true... when I played that I found myself thinking in that scene over weeks... it really really sad

Probably playing doom when I was 6 years old

The family has just gotten an AWE 32 sound blaster, and man you could hear the monsters groaning throughout the whole level , nothing freaked me out more..

Actually, there is one thing, in prince of persia 1, when your path is blocked by a mirror, and you are like "wtf do i do now ??" and you just happen to accidently jump towards the mirror, and you end up going through, and a mirror image of yourself pops out the other side and runs away..

"WHAT THE HELL!!! theres an evil me running around, this is freaky"

and yes, FEAR 2 ending was totally unexpected, and possibly the first time since I was 6 that I got freaked out and suprised like that

RoadieTrash said:
followed in a close second by the WWI "Suicide Corner" in The Darkness.
That whole sequence was pretty disturbing. As was the fate of Jenny. I wasn't expecting that.

Just playing Halo Wars, I guess you could call the flood pretty disturbing, specifically when they take over your men, turning them on you. It's a little sad.

I think the first time I got disturbed by a game was at my friend's house watching the guy or the evil monks get killed in Lode Runner: The Legend Returns, when they fell in a hole and it would close up around 'em with a crunch. Well, this was like 15 years ago, what did you expect? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAcVMNsyahI&feature=related

Also, back when the first Soldier of Fortune game came out back in...2000. That game actually had a warning label so you know they weren't fucking around. Seeing exposed brains and intestines was pretty f-ed up. I guess the sequels were more violent, but they just seemed like they were trying too hard...

I've got two that might not really fit but it's all I could think of. In COD4 Modern Warfare during the first level in the middle east. It was my first time playing and I felt like I was really in the war, with all the explosions going off. The fact that it was in the middle east really screwed with my head, because it was actually happening. It was a horrible feeling. Felt the same way when I saw the newest Rambo, knowing that the burmese were actually experiencing that but there was no Rambo to save the day. Second one was playing BioShock and discovering the giant plot twist. It was just so brilliant and really challenge the way I perceived video games. I question mission objectives a lot more now.

Dead Space had a much scarier ambiance to it. It wasn't incredibly scary, but it was definitely frighting.

One disturbing thing I've forgotten about was the end of The World Ends With You, were everyone becomes possessed.

To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

I think the most disturbing moment I have ever experienced in a game was the final scenes of Final Fantasy Crisis Core
Basically when Zack is dying and you have to fight the final battle while watching the memories of his loved ones be burnt from his mind.
It was an excellent moment but very disturbing :(

I remember the playrooms, JCD. I remember them.

Anyone remember Thief: The Dark Project? Down in the Bonehoard.

I remember being a kid and playing Diablo with the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. . . the music, the sounds. Brilliant.

Shadowcanter said:
I remember the playrooms, JCD. I remember them.

Anyone remember Thief: The Dark Project? Down in the Bonehoard.

I remember being a kid and playing Diablo with the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. . . the music, the sounds. Brilliant.
The Bonehoard was both scary and disturbing, walking around and hearing a giant wheezing... something prowling the area was terrifying. Cragscleft mines was pretty scary too.

Thief 2 had a very disturbing level that I've just remembered, Trail of Blood. Finding all the murdered pagans and seeing their ghosts was horrible, especially the first two you come across. Always makes me sad seeing that.

The beginning of Dead Rising. Where you're helicoptering in, and you're viewing the city for the first time through your camera lens, trying to grab photos and figure out what's going on. You witness a man being ripped to pieces, a woman falling three stories to her death, burning people. It's pretty disturbing, and a great intro.

The game then evolves into a hilarious and violent (and still containing some slightly disturbing moments [like the psychopath clown's grisly death, laughing the whole way]) but that first impression is very strong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle