Favourite moments in single player gaming?

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I was having a chat with my work mate at work the other day about video games and some of epic moments in games... or, what I think are epic anyway.

I guess one example is... the final boss fight of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. I loved it completely.

The whole field of white roses is a little corny and cliche', but still... I thought it was great. The fight of Naked Snake versus The Boss can be done with run and gun tactics, stealth or even CQC, or all of the above. I found it intense that in the fight, there's no music and it's just silent, other than Snake and the Boss... but when the Boss drops either half health or half stamina, the main theme song of the game (Snake Eater) begins to play.

Once the Boss is finally defeated, she bids her farewell and final wishes to Snake, before handing him her gun. As Snake stares down at her with the Patriot in hand, it's actually up to the player to pull the trigger and finish the Boss.

I thought it was clever... and kinda artistic.

What do you all think? Do you have any "I thought that was awesome" kinda moments in single player gaming that was well done, that you'd like to share?

While most Ace Combat games have great endings, as they do a really great job setting the tone and making you feel it, nothing quite beats out Ace Combat 5's ending.

Sure, most games have the moment of "Everyone helping out" but it does it in such a wonderful way.

Though those games are basically made to tug at every emotion you have.

I always enjoy the Gray Fox VS Metal Gear Rex episode.

Then there's the Bioshock twist!

I enjoyed the last level in Bayonetta where you ride a motorcycle up the side of a fucking rocketship!

Another is in Halo 3. Since it was the first Halo I'd ever played I was greatly surprised when I got to fight the 2 scarab tanks in Mission 7 or 8. It got me hooked onto the vehicle-action parts and the rest just came in with it.

My FAVOURITE would have to be the chapter 5 finale in Dead Space 2. When you find out Dana double-crosses you...then the gov spaceship attacks you both...then you escape...then the tormentor comes!!....then you run for you life...then the ship comes again with the tormentore behind you! And at this point I remember going, "Oh Holy Shit!!" It's saved as a separate file so I can play it over and over again, and I use it to show off the game to my friends. Pretty sure I've made 3 people buy the game!

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEKC8W4q2fw

Also cool bits include the train scene and the halo jump!

Longo_2_guns said:
While most Ace Combat games have great endings, as they do a really great job setting the tone and making you feel it, nothing quite beats out Ace Combat 5's ending.

Sure, most games have the moment of "Everyone helping out" but it does it in such a wonderful way.

Though those games are basically made to tug at every emotion you have.

I've never played the Ace Combat games... but I heard they're good. :)

MattAY said:
I always enjoy the Gray Fox VS Metal Gear Rex episode.

Then there's the Bioshock twist!

I enjoyed the last level in Bayonetta where you ride a motorcycle up the side of a fucking rocketship!

Another is in Halo 3. Since it was the first Halo I'd ever played I was greatly surprised when I got to fight the 2 scarab tanks in Mission 7 or 8. It got me hooked onto the vehicle-action parts and the rest just came in with it.

My FAVOURITE would have to be the chapter 5 finale in Dead Space 2. When you find out Dana double-crosses you...then the gov spaceship attacks you both...then you escape...then the tormentor comes!!....then you run for you life...then the ship comes again with the tormentore behind you! And at this point I remember going, "Oh Holy Shit!!" It's saved as a separate file so I can play it over and over again, and I use it to show off the game to my friends. Pretty sure I've made 3 people buy the game!

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEKC8W4q2fw

Also cool bits include the train scene and the halo jump!

The games you mentioned I haven't played either sadly... well, I've played only a little bit of Bioshock and Beyonetta. I don't have an X-Box regarding Halo 3. Dead Space 2? Good choice! I know that bit you're talking about... I loved that game it was awesome, and that bit was freaky as all hell. Nice segment to show off to your mates. :D

Honestly there were some epic moments in COD 4's singleplayer. Like the flashback level and you have to defend your wounded buddy while help arrives. Or at the end having Price slide you a pistol to shoot what's his face. Or the pilot rescue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9kYtesQkVI

Some of the fights in Dragon's Dogma were really epic, Half Life 2 Episode 2's final forest battle, the end of Halo 1 when you have to drive out of the Pillar doing that co-op with my brother was a great childhood memory, and I guess last one I can think of at the moment was at the end of Devil May Cry when you turn into a flying demon to fight the last boss.

One of my favorites is the fight with the Hydra in the first God of War. The cinematic action and sense of scale while fighting this brutal giant beast was amazing, and the violent finish capped it off perfectly.

The end of Resistance 3.
Call of Duty 4's Ghillie level
Much of the Assassin's Creed games (when doing 100% synchronization side-objectives)
Gravity Rush, huge chunks of it.
Almost all of DXHR. After that game I became much more inclined towards single-player.

I don't have a lot of single-player memories from when I was younger because I always had to share with my little brother.

There were so many moments in Red Dead Redemption where I just had to stop and stare for a while. There is nothing like sitting on your horse watching a sunset over the canyons as John Marston lights up a smoke. It's still one of the most beautiful looking games to me. The ending is also really well done.

The first time you see any of the Colossi in Shadow of the Colossus is always a sight to behold. There is so much build-up, and you are always wondering what will come next. It's always a big deal when they finally come out to confront you, and you immediately begin sizing them up wondering how you can get on them. Plus getting to them is a puzzle in and of itself, so you feel pretty accomplished when you finally get to see these magnificent bastards meander towards you.

Any 2D Metroid game where, towards the end of the game, Samus will be on her way to the final boss and they slap you in the face with the main theme. They only seem to play it at the very beginning and very end of every Metroid game, and it's very effective for me. Fewer things get me more pumped than to hear that triumphant, familiar tune, and you know Samus is about to wreck shit up every time you hear it.

Almost all of the music in Black Mesa: Source got me pumped up, too. That game has some seriously fantastic music for a first person shooter.

Also anything involving titans, Poseidon, or Zeus in God of War III

There are many, many more, but my thinks aren't flowing around so brainly right now.

Call of Duty Final Hour the whole first mission. Glorious speech at the boat, storming the beach without a gun and finally kicking some nazi ass for glorious motherland.

Getting out of the sewers and exploring Oblivion for the first time.

Can't remember much story/scene related things, but there's many moments that don't have anything to do with them. Like fighting and winning hordes of enemies on low health. Or a funny glitch.

Guan_Yu said:
There were so many moments in Red Dead Redemption where I just had to stop and stare for a while. There is nothing like sitting on your horse watching a sunset over the canyons as John Marston lights up a smoke. It's still one of the most beautiful looking games to me. The ending is also really well done.
Just had to echo this. RDR is packed with moments of real (virtual) beauty. It's a shame the game never came to PC.

danielrbischoff said:
Guan_Yu said:
Just had to echo this. RDR is packed with moments of real (virtual) beauty. It's a shame the game never came to PC.

One of my favorite scenes is when you arrive in Mexico for the first time and this music starts playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ9iflvCwok. :)

Killer 7, take your pick.

Black, when you're just blowing up those buildings in that Refinery place.

How about that cinematic in Starcraft when Raynor says goodbye to infested-Kerrigan, saying something like "I'm the man who's gonna kill you someday." I haven't played SC2 yet but I'm looking forward to sitting down to it one of these days and seeing how the story plays out.

Also, Warcraft 3 cutscene, Thrall and Grom Hellscream vs. Mannoroth. And Arthas murdering his father the king.

And finally, the final boss victories in Ninja Gaiden, especially final Alma, had a great sense of scale. Though spirit-Doku was the hardest.

Raen7 said:
How about that cinematic in Starcraft when Raynor says goodbye to infested-Kerrigan, saying something like "I'm the man who's gonna kill you someday." I haven't played SC2 yet but I'm looking forward to sitting down to it one of these days and seeing how the story plays out.

Also, Warcraft 3 cutscene, Thrall and Grom Hellscream vs. Mannoroth. And Arthas murdering his father the king.

And finally, the final boss victories in Ninja Gaiden, especially final Alma, had a great sense of scale. Though spirit-Doku was the hardest.

Blizzard makes fantastic cinematics...

My favorite cutscenes are from the Metal Gear series, MGS3 and MGS4 in particular.

Jonathan_Leack said:
Raen7 said:

Blizzard makes fantastic cinematics...

My favorite cutscenes are from the Metal Gear series, MGS3 and MGS4 in particular.

Cutscenes... More like movies am I right people? I kid, obviously MGS had great story and cutscenes or else people would skip them.

Those scenes in Germany were epic in MGS4...there is no comparison else where. And if you actually like the series and weren't just playing to turn around a bitch, then, like me, you were glued to your screen.

The final fight in MGS4 was pretty sweet... Old Snake versus Liquid Ocelot on top of the submarine in a bad ass CQC fist fight. That was like a cinematic to me. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod