Disturbing moments in gaming.

I'm playing through Dead Space again now. It's not nearly as creepy as the first time but still just as disturbing. The scene just before you

SPOILER

find the captain, with the girl cutting open the guy and killing herself

SPOILER

was still really fucked up. And I've played it for the PS3 and PC. Didn't start off with the plasma cutter on either.

As far as "Disturbing" goes in the sense of a general unease permeating every facet of the game I have to hand it to Fallout 3 in the current generation. I don't ever plan to find myself on a derelict mining vessel crammed with the undead so Dead Space has to sit patiently in the "Scary" corner.
Wandering the wasteland in any of the Fallouts is one of the bleakest, most depressing expereiences in videogaming. Ghouls in subways are startling, but the whole aesthetic of a slightly warped urban setting after an H-bomb evaporated most of it is just creepy. Being an Engineering student and huge history buff, seeing the Wright Flyer and P-51 Mustangs destroyed at the Museum of Technology in F3 was just depressing.
Also the parts in Half-Life 2 where you're in the tunnels blocked by burnt out cars presumably destroyed with everyone inside during the eight-hours war was like a gut punch, but that may just be me. I'm more affected by when scenery is set up to suggest an event rather than being drenched in gore before I can even get my armored jumpsuit buttoned up.
Most "Funny" disturbing moments for me are the almost apologetic remarks of the iTurrets in Portal after they annihilate your space-warping ass. Nervous laughter all around.

I'm going to go with Assassin's creed, with the first guy you had to kill, that arms dealer? I was slightly in shock when he stabbed that guy up bad. Oh! and the Cradle from Thief 3.

JCD said:
I'm playing through Dead Space again now. It's not nearly as creepy as the first time but still just as disturbing. The scene just before you

SPOILER

find the captain, with the girl cutting open the guy and killing herself

SPOILER

was still really f***** up. And I've played it for the PS3 and PC. Didn't start off with the plasma cutter on either.
I liked when
you hear the thumping sound down the hallway, and when you go through the door you see a guy banging his head on the wall until he smashes his skull.[/spoilagio]

And yeah, I started a new game on freakin' hard, and realized you don't get off the ship with the cutter, but you do when you start a replay, which is what I was thinking about.

I've seen some disturbing stuff here and there, but there's EarthBound for the SNES.

Giygas, the final boss... The whole scene morphs in a rather creepy way, and there's an unpleasant surprise for those who look too close.

When you see something like that in a lighthearted game like EarthBound things really go haywire. Look up Giygas in YouTube if you haven't seen the guy...

I was pretty broken up when Mengsk deserted Sarah Kerrigan on Tarsonis in Starcraft and she ended up getting infested. So much for the series' sassy, smoking hot and fiercely compitent female lead. :?

I was playing COD 4 the other day and realized that the scene in which you're seeing through the presidents eyes is really very disturbing, especially when you know what's going to happen to him. And when the game slows down and the gun is put up against you're head? F**ked up.

Also I remember in the demo for Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare on the PlayStation, at the end of the demo you see Aline in a coffin or something, dead. That was freaky.

Just thought of the Butcher's room in Diablo 1.

First time I had seen anything like that...just gave me the willies.

It's a tie between all of the teabagging that goes on in Halo online matches and kids who think it's funny to racially insult people in any online game.

Socom 2. Level in Brazil where you had to capture a leader of a female terrorist faction. Map is at night and was running around a corner when it apparently glitched and an enemy popped up right in front of me from the grass screaming what every alert phrase before disappearing. Worse scare ever. I still remember it to this day. :(

Pretty much everything in Silent Hill games! But one comes to mind big time:

silent_hill_4.jpg

shudder.

can't believe no one mentioned silent hill 2. it wasn't the monsters or the darkness. no, it's when james gets to the hotel and starts watching the tape and we find out the truth. thats the most screwed up twist i've ever seen in a game.

MattAY said:
Pretty much everything in Silent Hill games! But one comes to mind big time:

silent_hill_4.jpg

shudder.

For those unaware, the best part of this scene is that, not only is everything around her writhing, but her eyes follow you as you move around the room. Very... bizarre. And creepy.

I've got a friend who's playing through The Godfather, and I just was reminded of how brutal and disturbing those Execution style kills are. Geesh...

o_O man... Silent Hill 2 was honestly the most disturbing game for me to ever play through. I couldn't believe the concoctions the developers pulled when it came to designing monsters. The freakin' two pairs of legs stapled together at the hips, trying to stab you with their nubbie little freakin' feet?

I nearly shat myself when I saw that... and Pyramid Head? Good Lord man! The epitome of disturbing was watching him rape the crap out of the mannequins... chasing you around with a freakin' huge knife wasn't that fun either. :(

F.E.A.R..... learning you're the first prototype, then finding out that Alma was Harlan's daughter... doing all that stuff to your own child? WTF!

But seriously though... disturbing and scary do go hand in hand, at least for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod