Disturbing moments in gaming.

I remember when I was about 5 years old, the very first time I played a game called Nightmare Creatures. All I remember was seeing these tall enemies that would just lurk around or something like that. Let's say that game, and enemies was a prelude to many sleepless nights.

edit: http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/so ... _creatures
the very first picture, those things scared the living hell out of me.

UghRochester said:
In Gears of War 2, Dom found his wife Maria...very emotional yet disturbing scene

Yeah, she was all nice at first, but that was just what dom thought he saw, then she's all grey and skeletal and almost dead.

most disturbing gaming moment for me was playing system shock 2 early in the game just when you start too realize everything is all screwed up and you walk into a room with a guy who had hung himself and then i got attacked by these mutant monkeys freaky as stuff (and i was like 8 or 9 at the time)

used44 said:
I'm playing Dead Space right now. It may not rank as highly as the Silent Hills on the "disturbing" score, but it has this certain haunting quality (mostly the terrific audio, like Trippy said) that makes it too intense to play for long periods. I play like one chapter per sitting, then I stop.

When I was pretty young, the first game that disturbed me was The 7th Guest. Spooooky. Tame today, but spooky then.

Oh man I remember playing the 7th guest! Yeah... that game really scared me when i was a kid. I got lost in a maze and never went back.

X-com, having a bunch of rookie troops start to panic and go berserk, firing in every direction.

and then comes the mind-control.......

Profits said:
used44 said:
When I was pretty young, the first game that disturbed me was The 7th Guest. Spooooky. Tame today, but spooky then.

Oh man I remember playing the 7th guest! Yeah... that game really scared me when i was a kid. I got lost in a maze and never went back.

"Feeling a little... Loooonelyyy?"

Yeah that disembodied voice in the maze was the only thing that bugged me in that game, though I never did see much of it. My parents played it, and they didn't like it, so they eventually uninstalled it. They were especially disappointed that the other game that came with it, The 11th Hour, wouldn't let you install it unless you'd beaten The 7th Guest.

My parents really liked Zork: Nemesis though. That had plenty of eerie stuff in it, yet still retaining the classic Zork humor. I remember a few things creeping me out, like taking the severed head of some insane guy in the asylum and sticking it on some specialized stand to bring it to life and talk to you.

And come on, am I the only person here who was freaked out by the ReDeads in Zelda?

Sitting alone in the dark and playing Fatal Frame. The music and atmosphere really started to freak me out. Not to mention the damn ghosts that suddenly appear and disappear.

MKSmooth said:
Sitting alone in the dark and playing Fatal Frame. The music and atmosphere really started to freak me out. Not to mention the damn ghosts that suddenly appear and disappear.
Ah geez you just reminded me of the first time I played Tomb Raider.

There are too many things i want to quote-

Agreed with the doctor in Bioshock- UGLY, SO UGLY! -shoots through the window-
Tingy tingles- I hate dying by privates...And Tomb Raider...I only played the demos, but I hated how scared I would get.

And as for maria in GoW2- I wanted to scream when Marcus walks away and you hear the gunshot and dont know if Doms gonna be coming back or not. You already saw Tai die, i didnt want Dom to be lost too

Squiggy said:
And come on, am I the only person here who was freaked out by the ReDeads in Zelda?

No. They used to scare me shitless when I was younger. Nowadays they obviously aren't too bad (mostly because the game looks pretty dated on bigger TVs), but I still get a chill up my spine from the spooky nostalgia.

Eternal Darkness scared me shitless the one time I played it. I really need to pick that game up sometime...

I've played tons and tons of games, but when I think of "horrifying" moments, my mind goes back to RESIDENT EVIL 2.

The Lickers seriously fcked with my mind.

In one such segment of the police station, you go into an interrogation room and its empty. The music goes dead quiet - mind you, I play with my volume ay up.
You see a shiny object on the shelf in the room and you go to take it. When you take it - add it to inventory and come out the menu screen, a fuckin licker BURSTS THROUGH THE WINDOW.

This scared the livin shit out of me and it was so bad I had to pause the game for a moment. In fact, the character you play as shakes his own head in disbelief when this happens.

Playing Fallout 3 long enough, in the dark, with the volume up - also gave me the willies, especially in the subway levels where you can be attacked by feral ghouls.

Doom 3 was also pretty nerve wracking the first couple times throough it.

Being chased by a pack of velociraptors when all you have are two revolvers in Trespasser. Fuck, that game always scared the shit out of me. On a giant island with a shit ton of dinos and all by yourself the whole game. fuck man, i can't believe i beat that shit without god mode.

NickKmet said:
...f*** s*** s*** f*** s*** without god mode.

On topic.. is F.E.A.R. actually scary? I can see how the little 'something's about to happen' kind of takes away from the surprise, but that would be a little creepy. It'd be like planning your death.

Keepithowitis said:
NickKmet said:
On topic..

Man, that game is disturbingly hard. You spend 95% of that game hoping to god that either a fucking t-rex doesn't come around the next corner and rip your head off, or that the giant pack of velociraptors you see won't be done with that brontasaurus until after you've gotten past them. I seriously think that game took years off my life.

keepithowitis said:
NickKmet said:

On topic.. is F.E.A.R. actually scary? I can see how the little 'something's about to happen' kind of takes away from the surprise, but that would be a little creepy. It'd be like planning your death.

Not really. Play Condemned 1 if you want to be scared. They are both made by Monolith, but Condemned is far more nerve racking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle