Disturbing moments in gaming.

Psychonauts

Milla's Nightmare
The Milkman Conspiracy, with everyone looking at you , camera's everywhere, and the two nightmares.
The brain tumbler
The Meat Circus

This was supposed to be a kids game!

Longo_2_guns said:
Psychonauts

Milla's Nightmare
The Milkman Conspiracy, with everyone looking at you , camera's everywhere, and the two nightmares.
The brain tumbler
The Meat Circus

This was supposed to be a kids game!
I found Millia's Nightmare to be a neat little addition that added depth to the character. But, yeah, it was pretty creepy.

I'm going to agree with BigTruckSeries about the Lickers, they were bloody terrifying, even worse than the hunters from RE1.

And yeah Diabolus, Condemned can be pretty scary too, that game gave me a few good frights. I think Condemned 2 is slightly more disturbing though. From the black goo to the way you kill the Saw-Lollipop clown. And of course, who could forget the bear?

The mannequins in Condemned (and other games) scare the crap out of me. Even the mannequins in Fallout 3 frighten me.

And JCD just reminded me of the clown in Dead Rising. He and the arsonist were very disturbing.

masterchris said:
Are we talking about disturbing moments in gaming, or just scary moments in gaming? There's a difference.
I intended this to be about disturbing moments, but for some people, disturbing and scary go hand-in-hand.

Good thread! I love disturbing moments in games, anything that can shake me emotionally is definitely worth remembering.

Hrmmmm let's see here....

Bioshock had a few, I remember one part in the game where you come across a body crucified to a wall, and at his feet are 2 opened briefcases with bibles and crucifixes and the like in them. On the walls around the body were phrases along the lines of "Keep religion out of Rapture" or something like that. Also, the entire section of Fort Frolic was just completely Creepy.

Dead Space in the room where you get your first weapon (plasma cutter), there is a body lying next to the table where the weapon is, and on the wall above it, written in blood, the phrase "Cut off their limbs".

Portal - "There is no cake". You have been promised cake throughout all your experiments, but later in the game you come across the body of a man who killed himself, after writing the chilling truth on the wall.

There are plenty more, but I must leave my computer for now so I will probably post some more later. Looking over my post, it seems that creepy things written on walls are the things that really get to me. Oh well hahaha[/b]

Guan_Yu said:
Dead Space in the room where you get your first weapon (plasma cutter), there is a body lying next to the table where the weapon is, and on the wall above it, written in blood, the phrase "Cut off their limbs".
o_O Now that depends on what version of Dead Space you're playing.

De-Ting said:
Guan_Yu said:
o_O Now that depends on what version of Dead Space you're playing.

What's different between the two versions?

As far as I can remember, I got off the shuttle with the cutter. But there's still the room with "Cut off their limbs" on the wall if you're wondering.

That's interesting that you started with it fresh off the ship. I thought you meant that parts differed depending on what platform you played it on. That wouldn't make much sense though...

mickey_P said:
That's interesting that you started with it fresh off the ship. I thought you meant that parts differed depending on what platform you played it on. That wouldn't make much sense though...
Nah. It's not like Bethesda made Dead Space or anything. <_<

JCD said:
masterchris said:
Are we talking about disturbing moments in gaming, or just scary moments in gaming? There's a difference.
I intended this to be about disturbing moments, but for some people, disturbing and scary go hand-in-hand.
For me, disturbing moments are more along the line of nightmare fuel. Something not necessarily pants-wetting scary but more on the line of leaving an impression. Like the Meat Circus in Psychonauts. It isn't really that scary, but it is a mix of horror and bizarre that make it disturbing.

Remember the pig guy from Manhunt? He chased you around with his piggy privates hanging out of his pants. Talk about disturbing.

I wouldn't say that F.E.A.R. in it's entirety is disturbing, but it does pull off the "shock" scare really well.

I think the one moment in F.E.A.R. that actually stands out as disturbing was in the expansion when you were walking through the warehouse and all the ghosts kept appearing as the lights flickered. Then you got to the opening and your parter got lifted into the air, cumpled into a ball, and thrown through the door.

I remember just staring at the screen for a good minute.

I think F.E.A.R 2 is going to pull off the disturbing scary very well. The demo had you going through an elementary school, which is probably the last place you wanna be when the main enemy is Alma.

F.E.A.R.
When you're walking through the room with a pool of blood for a roof and hear the screams..
then the ghosts appear and take your health.

And then everything is back to normal, with no one else around the wiser.

that was fucked up.

Dead Space wasn't too scary for me but there were very disturbing parts in it. Seeing all those survivors kill themselves, seeing the one survivor caressing the limbless corpse, seeing another survivor laughing to themselves. It's really creepy. I would say more but it might spoil it for others.

Resident Evil 4 comes in as well for me... those weird bug insect things you fight in the sewers of the castle? I remember one got on me and spat acid on me and it killed me. When Leon fell over, his face was gone - you could see his skull (covered in blood) and he still had one eye in tact. Ugh... man.

Hitman: Blood Money was disturbingly creepy in the level where you're in a neighborhood trying to assassinate the target. He's covered by FBI agents and when you infiltrate his house, you go into the daughter's room and one of the FBI agents is.. sniffing her underwear.. it's funny though, you can drug the underwear with a sedative and when he sniffs it - he's out. :p

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem had this one freaky scene. You'd approach a bathtub in the mansion you're in and it tells you to press the B button. You press it, and the screen begins to flash white as the camera zooms up to the bath tub. Suddenly you see your character's pale dead body inside the bath tub, her eyes white and her mouth wide open as the bath tub is filled with blood. >_<

Uver said:
And as for maria in GoW2- I wanted to scream when Marcus walks away and you hear the gunshot and dont know if Doms gonna be coming back or not. You already saw Tai die, i didnt want Dom to be lost too
(spoiler to those who didn't play it)
I thought that was hard what Dom did having to shoot his wife and let go of her suffering, poor Dom.

What Tai did shows how brutal the Locust did to torture him. He then shot himself like the dude from Full Metal Jacket

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle