CYOA: Nights Hotter Than the Barrel of My Gun: New Edition

Page 26, Ruckus

Ron2.jpg

"...no good, dastard of a bastard!"

Luke's tirade was interrupted by a slam, as the Sheriff's door was kicked open. A dark silhouette stood in the lit doorway. Ross wasn't threatening, he just stood there one hand was on a hip, the other had pushed his hat up so he could run his fingers through his hair.

"How many times do I have to kill you, Luke?"

Luke was indeed a sorry mess. He'd been dragged by horses, filled with rock, lead and glass. He'd lost a lot of blood and replaced it with whiskey and opiates. He'd killed his first man that night, closely followed by his second.

"I mean, how many times do you expect to escape Death," Ross said, spreading his arms wide, "this is His land, His rules."

Ross started to slowly make his way closer.

"And I am His arbiter. But there's been enough bloodshed, Luke. I don't want anymore, we've paid the butcher well enough tonight. In fact, I'm even a little proud of ya. Who knew ya had it in ya? Only God knows, right? So how 'bout we just stop? No one else need die...no one needs to say sorry."

Ross paused, looking at Luke and smiling generously.

"Just get the hell outta here and never come back."

Take him up on his offer, page 16.

Draw!, page 23.

Tackle him, page 46.

Page 23, Draw!

Quickdraw-330x330.jpg

Fifteen feet.

That was all that separated the two men. No more posse. No more tarnished bronze star on Ross' chest. No more preconceived notions of right and wrong from Luke. There was nothing but fifteen feet between them.

Luke drew both guns and started firing, hoping to catch Ross off guard.

One, miss. Two, Ross' thigh. Three, a cloud of dirt at Ross' feet.

Unphased, Ross dropped into a low defensive stance and drew his revolver. But before he could get a shot off.

Four, Ross' hip.

The shot caused Ross' quick two-shot volley to go high.

Five, miss.

Ross brought his revolver back towards Luke. Both men fired.

Six. A blotch of red sprung up just below Ross' colar bone.

Luke tasted his victory and it was bitter. He started forward...and winced. Ross had gotten off a third shot? Luke looked down to see blood trickling from his thigh. No matter. He forced himself to look away.

Ross lay fifteen feet away, his eyes wide staring into the dark night sky. Quick gasps echoing in the empty street. Luke edged forward pushing the pain down with the rest.

"Lu...Luke," Ross gasped, blood and spit frothing on his lips. "S'over...done."

Luke strode towards him, kicking his gun away when he got close.

Make him say sorry, page 92.

One bullet more, page 91.

Walk away, page 89.

Page 91, Cold is the Grave

coffin_construction_15.jpg

"S'over...over," Ross repeated

"Not over yet," Luke said, pulling the hammer back on his revolver.

He stepped on Ross' collar bone, grinding his heel into the bullet hole. The man on the ground moaned.

Bang!

Silence fell. Luke stared at the body before him. The man and his pain were gone. It was over, but the rage inside him still burned hot.

He turned to look down the street. In the dark night he could see the landmarks: the saloon, the church, the post office. But he also saw the new ones. A dead man swinging from a rope. A burning shop, flames climbing up the walls. A second body lying in front of the store. A third body with a dark wraith above it.

He should've felt relief, but he still felt angry. It burned inside him, it burned in his belly. It burned every square inch of his back still. It was the bitter taste in his mouth.

All of this destruction, and none of it changed what happened. None of it made it any more right and the fire inside was still unquenched.

He looked once more at Ross. His still corpse lay there. No moans, no painful gasps. His was the closest thing to peace.

Luke checked the chamber in his right-hand revolver. There was still one more...

Heaven

or Hell?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle