Choices...[and why you should just buy XCOM] (renamed)

Sourdeez said:
The game(xcom) has the best xbox gamepad controls i've ever played in this kind of game.

The keyboard and mouse setup isn't nearly as good but it has perfect gamepad integration.

That's really awesome to hear.

Lethean is Colleen "The Lady" Lethean. Longo is also a girl but with a husky voice. Awesme moment, when it auto-assigned Wicked's nickname as Moose. I didn't have to change it because it works for a Canuck.

This is incredible. Pics or it didn't happen.

I need a pic of me saving Mattay.

I'd like the picture on my bedroom wall, on the prime spot above my bed.

And I'm LAST?!! Explain yourself Bret, before I make an RPG team and not include YOU!

X-Com is amazing, those who are unsure of what it is, here, let me elaborate.

Essentially its broken into two main parts, we'll call these Base Phase, and Battle Phase for ease of reference.

During Base Phase, you build items, research things using captured alien technology, equip Interceptors (Fighter jets that shoot down UFOS), hire soldiers to replace losses, level-up anyone who gained enough XP, build extra rooms in your base, sell off items recovered during missions, and launch satellites

During the Base Phase, when you've got everything in order, you can fast-forward time by clicking a button. As time advances, you'll get what we'll call Events. These events range from detecting a UFO (if you've got satellite coverage over an area), to Abductions, and other such things. Once an event happens, you dispatch your Soldiers to deal with it.

Battle Phase is just that, battle. It's completely turn-based, but in the best of ways. There isn't much to say here without going into elaborate detail, but suffice to say, there is a wealth of strategies available, and you won't run out of ways to blast X-Rays (What they call the aliens) into the afterlife.

That's it in a nutshell, but trust me when I say its addictive, fun, and creepy. Yes, creepy, they managed to make turn-based creepy. Some of the alien designs are awesome, others are creepy, and others are kind of funny, but I think that was intentional. The classic alien types like the Greys have new takes on them.

It's a deep, engaging game that you -should- try. You will enjoy it, it is worth your money. The combat system alone is addicting, and it has a lot of re playability.

Oh, and there is a main story. It's good for what it is, but it isn't that deep.

There is also a tutorial available for people who want it. Playing with, or without the tutorial changes the beginning of the game significantly and the first couple of missions.

And guys, I will eventually get around to taking a picture of the team...sad news though. I suck at saving my game. I don't have auto-save turned on and I have now exited out of the game more times than I can remember. It's like trying to remember alternate time lines. On my current save, unfortunately we lost Dan. A moment of silence to a great guy who died when a new and unexpected enemy ravaged our team.

Finally finished downloading today.
Installed. All is well.
Played through the first few missions, upgraded, etc. Got new armor, sniper and such.

Back button gone when i'm dicking around the barracks. Game slowly gets worse and worse as more buttons vanish.
Completely fucked up, no buttons anywhere, alt+f4.
No auto-save by default, first 40 minutes of game time wasted, urge to kill rising.
Attempt to start a new game, crash to desktop when the first movie tries to load.

Go fuck yourself game. Guess i'll Bethesda it up and wait 2-3 months before bothering to try it again.
Apparently the patch helps to fix this. You know, the 2gb patch that i can't possibly download with my internet?

And you guys actually wonder why i torrent games instead of buying them straight away.

madster111 said:
Finally finished downloading today.
Installed. All is well.
Played through the first few missions, upgraded, etc. Got new armor, sniper and such.

Back button gone when i'm dicking around the barracks. Game slowly gets worse and worse as more buttons vanish.
Completely fucked up, no buttons anywhere, alt+f4.
No auto-save by default, first 40 minutes of game time wasted, urge to kill rising.
Attempt to start a new game, crash to desktop when the first movie tries to load.

Go fuck yourself game. Guess i'll Bethesda it up and wait 2-3 months before bothering to try it again.
Apparently the patch helps to fix this. You know, the 2gb patch that i can't possibly download with my internet?

And you guys actually wonder why i torrent games instead of buying them straight away.

I've never had this issue, my game works perfectly, I don't know what your experiencing. Weird, must be rare.

NecroWolf said:
I've never had this issue, my game works perfectly, I don't know what your experiencing. Weird, must be rare.
A bunch of guys were getting this (admittedly, fairly rare) problem before they patched, which fixes a bunch of things.

Unfortunately, my internet connection which does hit 900kb/s, is dynamic. Meaning anything in the process of downloading that isn't a torrent will fail when the connection resets for a new IP.
This wouldn't happen, except my exchange is overloaded to point where at 6pm you're lucky to grab 10kb/s when everyone gets off work.

Internet in Aus CAN be good, providing you're in a city. Then you get the delicious 100mbps fibre optic line or 4G wireless.
I'm in between Sydney and Newcastle, so i get shit internet.

madster111 said:
NecroWolf said:
A bunch of guys were getting this (admittedly, fairly rare) problem before they patched, which fixes a bunch of things.

Unfortunately, my internet connection which does hit 900kb/s, is dynamic. Meaning anything in the process of downloading that isn't a torrent will fail when the connection resets for a new IP.
This wouldn't happen, except my exchange is overloaded to point where at 6pm you're lucky to grab 10kb/s when everyone gets off work.

Internet in Aus CAN be good, providing you're in a city. Then you get the delicious 100mbps fibre optic line or 4G wireless.
I'm in between Sydney and Newcastle, so i get shit internet.

Weird problem, and I don't blame you for torrenting before buying a game. That isn't really piracy. That's really a discussion for another thread, tho.

That sucks about your internet, and seems like it'd be a pain in the ass when attempting to play a game online, or do pretty much anything. Once you get X-Com working, somehow, I think you'll enjoy it. That is of course, if you don't get frustrated with it beforehand, and considering the troubles its giving you, I wouldn't blame you for that either.

I just finished xcom and I enjoyed it very very much. Even the story(This includes tech lore) as it unfolds was rewarding enough that I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys scifi and strategie video games.

A tip, make sure you always have the correct gear you will need. My first upgrades are always prioritised by getting my guys more defense, better armor and equipment.

If you're low on income rent it for a week.

So it's pretty hard to get everyone up and healthy because any time you take damage on a mission it sidelines you for several days of recovery. But it finally happened. The call was put out that some abductions needed to be stopped and 6 men appeared at once, ready to battle the extraterrestrial menace.

1019120103.jpg

And yes, my phone takes horrible pictures. From Left to Right: Squaddie AY (Matt AY, future nickname "Posh"), Lt. "Moose" Liquid, Cpt. "Japazilian" Hall, Cpt. "Big Daddy" Used44, Cpl. Longo (yes, he's a lady), Squaddie Lethean.

Sadly we were short a member. The bravest among us, Lt. Dan "Desperado" Bischoff, our bad ass Assault, who feared no alien and would gladly run into battle, fell to an chryssalid attack. It happened so quick. We were so brash. We learned a hard less. But, hey, 8 kills on 8 missions, and tons of surpressing fire that allowed for flanking maneuvers...you can't say he didn't carry his weight.
1018122236.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod