Anyone remember Gobstoppers?

MattAY

Forum Moderator
Staff member
hugegobstopper.jpg

Pretty sure you yanky doodles will call them something else. Gob = mouth.
It was a huge hard "candy" that you basically lick on and put away in a container when you're temporarily done. It lasts about a week, and it was the greatest thing as a kid. Even though it sounds fucking horrible.

We call those jawbreakers.

Though the Wonka company makes a candy called Gobstoppers which are small jawbreakers, I guess.

gobstopperslarge_1827_general.jpg

I tried one once and I couldn't stand the feeling of picking up something I had slobbered on for hours. The smaller gobstoppers ^^ were great though.

I was all about Runts when I was a kid:
OiSHV.jpg

Bananas and strawberries were the best. Ate the limes first and then saved those for last.

In my fourth grade class we would get little handfuls of runts when we got answers correct during this one game we played. Most of the kids hated the banana candies, for some stupid reason. So there were like four of us who would go "I'LL TAKE THOSE BANANAS IF YOU DON'T WANT THEM, HOMIE!" It was a great time to be a Banana Kid.

Hey, anyone else remember trapper keepers? Remember the Indian in the Cupboard? That was sooo 90's. The craziest part about the 90s was the was the way that there was music on the radio and we would all just sing along. Like Bohemian Rhapsody. Remember how that was in Wayne's World and other 90s movies? The other day I saw someone with a Triforce tattoo and I nostalgia'd so hard because I one time played that old Zelda game in the 90's. And what about sleepovers? Did anyone else ever do sleepovers? Oh, and this is something that only 90's kids will remember, but did anyone else ever go trick-or-treating?

Oh man, the 90's sure were a crazy time.

You must repost this MMM-BOP times if you are a TRUE 90's kid.

used44 said:
In my fourth grade class we would get little handfuls of runts when we got answers correct during this one game we played. Most of the kids hated the banana candies, for some stupid reason. So there were like four of us who would go "I'LL TAKE THOSE BANANAS IF YOU DON'T WANT THEM, HOMIE!" It was a great time to be a Banana Kid.
I never got candy in class, but holy fuck would that have made me a better student.

Another great hard/jaw-breaker kind of candy is Nerds (I guess in a way). I always treated them like hard candy and just let them sit in my cheek like mouth tabacco.

GiftedMonkey said:
And what about sleepovers?
Was it still a sleep over if you were up all night playing PlayStation?

In high school I used to go over to my friend Eric's house and we'd beat Turtles in Time on SNES once a month. Also Sunset Riders and occasionally Super Scope games. Then we'd walk to BlockBuster and rent shitty movies like the SMB movie.

Dan has just turned this into a Wonka topic.

And GM's post made me laugh out loud, but it's a little inappropriately aimed – that's not what MattAY was being like. I fucking can't stand those people on my Facebook who share things like that though. Even worse is the people who act like they're children of the 80's when I know they were bornin '88.

When we were kids it was all about the Penny Candy. My grandmother used to send us down to the corner store with some money and a note to buy her cigarettes and with the change we got to pick out some penny candy. Some favorites included:

candy dots on paper
candy-dots.jpg

candy cigarettes that puffed smoke! (well, usually one puff anyway)
candy-cigarettes.jpg

pixie stix
pixy_sticks.68163702_large.jpg

little wax bottles filled with juice
12109_10151171846436376_1548079454_n.jpg

wafers filled with little candy beads
satwafers-300x266.jpg

and for some reason, single pretzel rods
stock-photo-pretzel-rods-on-white-12019885.jpg

I know both gobstoppers and jawbreakers. I think jawbreakers might be more from reading books, but I'm not certain.

I don't think I know a lot of the candy appearing in this thread. I really miss Sodalicious, though. I'm not huge into candy, but I do like some gummies. Fruit chews-type ones are great. I also have a thing for poprocks. I have excellent poprocks videos on my phone. :)

Are you trying to battle for postwhore?

Yeah, just videos I took of friends or whatever, involving poprocks. That's all. Nothing fantastic in them, just fun, and tricks. No, I won't share them. I'm just not into sharing and caring in that way.

tsaukkitaukit.jpg

Donkey balls and titties were the shit when I was a kid. They've made it too hard to find these days. Only some small kiosks seem to carry them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle