Game Revolution's top 10 movies of 2011

WickedLiquid

Regular
Well, I haven't received any votes for over a week and seeing how I have the time I'll count them down right now.

Here are the 10 movies of the year as voted by you!

#10 Battle of Los Angeles
battlelosangeles2011021.jpg

Another alien invasion film. I didn't get a chance to see this, but seeing how it cracked the top 10 I might catch it on Netflix when it's available.

#9 Moneyball
moneyballposter.jpg

What more can be said about Brad Pitt? The dude's just awesome. He may have started out as pretty boy but after movies like Fight Club and Snatch everything changed. Moneyball is a great film for anyone interested in the inner-workings of sports (in this case, baseball). When I first heard about this movie I immediately thought of Jerry Maguire, only this film is much much much better, and based on a true story.

#8 Drive, Horrible Bosses & Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2
driveint2.jpg
horriblebossesposter.jpg
harrypotterandthedeathlrw.jpg

At #8 we have a three-way (that's what she said?); the jaw dropping Drive, the hilarious Horrible Bosses and the epic finale to the Harry Potter series. All three films are definitely worth checking out depending on your taste in movies.

First of all, Drive is not Fast and the Furious like its marketing team may want you to believe. The trailers don't do the movie justice and I can just imagine a lot of shaved-head men with tight muscle shirts took their never-ending-text-messaging-girl-friends. No, the movie is in fact a very entertaining and thrilling story with compelling characters. It has the violence and the action one would expect but it also has brains.

Horrible Bosses was one of the funniest movies this year, with a great cast and a lot of dark humor. It’s a good recommendation for anyone in the mood for a comedy.

And Harry Potter, good ole Harry Potter. The film series has been around for 10 years! And after 10 years of watching Daniel Radcliffe go from a little kid to a man pretending to still be a kid, it's finally over. The series gave viewers and readers alike an epic ending to the long-running series and left fans satisfied. But if you're a fan of Harry Potter, you've most-likely seen this one so moving on...

#7 Thor
thormoviepostershirtles.jpg

Thor tells a great story adapted from its comic series for fans of all generations. What begins as a mission to slay the mighty Frost Giants soon turns into an amazing tale both epic and hilarious. I was surprised at the humorous direction the film took but it was still able to keep you hooked into the action and suspense. Bring on The Avengers!

#6 Rise of the Planet of the Apes
riseoftheplanetoftheapew.jpg

Who would've thought another Apes movie would be one of the best of the year? Not I, for I was sick of the Planet of the Apes and in a time when every damn series is rebooted I was not interested in seeing yet another remake. But I gotta be honest, this film was pretty damn spectacular. Kudos to Andy Serkis for bringing life to a CGI ape and bonding a connection between him and the viewers. The apes expressions and emotions are so real and life-like that we can understand everything it's thinking without any dialogue what so ever. Truly a great film!

#5 50/50
5050poster.jpg

What happens when you take the indie-charm of Joseph-Gordon Levitt and pair him up with the foul-mouthed comedian Seth Rogen? You get 50/50; a movie that has the ability to blend comedy and drama perfectly. 50/50 is based on the true story of a man's battle through cancer and the brutally honest truth about friendships, relationships and family. The movie will tug on your heartstrings, yet it will also make you smile. A wonderful film and one of the best this year.

#4 The Muppets
themuppetsfinalmoviepos.jpg

It's The Muppets, nuff said.

#3 Super 8
super8movieposter.jpg

An entertaining foray into a nostalgic era of filmmaking. Nothing is entirely original, as writer/director Abrams purposely takes very obvious inspirational cues from producer Speilberg. Think "The Goonies" with a dash of "E.T." on steroids and you're part way there. Super 8 tells a touching story with all the thrills and special effects one would expect out of a summer blockbuster.

#2 Captain America: The First Avenger
captainamericamoviepost.jpg

First of all, how can the same guy play Captain America AND Johnny Storm? Doesn't Disney realize that both characters exist in the same world??? It's like a paradox! But hey, who cares really, because this was a damn good movie.

Personally I'm kinda stuck between Thor and Captain America, they were both so good. But GR has made it clear this was the better film; with a set of great performances including Tommy Lee Jones doing what he does best.

This was the last movie to set us up for The Avengers and I can't bloody wait!

#1 X-Men: First Class
xmenfirstclassposter6.jpg

I must say, this year has had a lot of surprises when it comes to movies. Just like with Drive and Planet of the Apes, when I saw the trailer for this I thought "WTF is this garbage?" And just like with the others I was surprised at how great this was. Who's in charge of doing trailers these days? They need to fire that dude.

The X-Men are simply superb, there's no doubt about that. But the film franchise was sinking. First there was The Last Stand, which pissed off millions of fanboys, then Wolverine Origins that pissed off millions of fanboys all over again. But First Class rejuvenated the franchise by doing what it should've done before; focus less on the action and more on developing these characters into the complex ones we know today. By focusing more on character development, we have a better understanding of these mutants and care more about them. Which shows that even if First Class is inaccurate, it's still a well-told story. Here's hoping we'll see another prequel in the future.

There ya go guys, hope you enjoyed it! Looks like we've got some crazy-good movies coming out next year (or some huge disappointments).

Nice work! You're finally pulling your (considerable) weight around here.

It's laughable that Battle: LA made the top 10

/says the guy who forgot to vote

But everything else looks great. I really want to see 50/50 and Moneyball.

Game revolution, the only website on the internet that puts Battle: LA in their top 10 movies of the year, as opposed to bottom 10 (of the past 3 decades) :D

Way to be unique GR.

Other than that and perhaps the order, (and maybe captain america) decent list.

All worth watching.

Edit; please get back to us when you watch battle:la on netflix

I haven't seen any of these.

Although I did play the Super 8 interactive trailer that came with Portal 2.
And I saw the horrible mockbuster version of Battle L.A. (Battle of Los Angelesl) on SyFy.

Lien said:
...You have got to be FREAKING KIDDING ME!

recount.jpg

What he said. How in the blue hell did Battle of LA make it? I mean, honestly guys.

I know our standards for women, sex, social life, looks are all low. BUT MOVIES? This is one of those things in life we need to have high standards for!

KurtCobain94 said:
I know our standards for women, sex, social life, looks are all low. BUT MOVIES? This is one of those things in life we need to have high standards for!

Battle: LA beat out Hanna. Seriously. Come on.

Battle of L.A. was a decent movie. It wasn't attempting to be some epic, ground moving flick with serious messages or hidden messages for the scholars. It was meant to be a basic action flick, and it succeeded.

Thor and Captain America failed at certain things they attempted, where BofLA succeeded at what it was trying. Its place is deserved. Not like it was voted #1.

StickyGreenGamer said:
Battle of L.A. was a decent movie. It wasn't attempting to be some epic, ground moving flick with serious messages or hidden messages for the scholars. It was meant to be a basic action flick, and it succeeded.

Thor and Captain America failed at certain things they attempted, where BofLA succeeded at what it was trying. Its place is deserved. Not like it was voted #1.

Thor succeeded in entertainment.

Battle LA might have succeeded if it was 1.5 hours shorter.

Blasphemy, Capt America was amazing. Super 8 though...I don't know what's wrong with me...everybody I know loves it, you guys love it...but I fell asleep watching it...even though it was Super Loud.

intoTheRain said:
StickyGreenGamer said:

Thor could have been 1.5 hour shorter and been much better.

At least the extra hour and half in BofLA was relevant to the story at hand.

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Thor > Battle: LA, by the way. And not even because Thor was good. Battle: LA is just tremendously bad.

YEAH! The movie I don't like somehow got into the top 10! How dare someone else disagree with me, and not love every movie I like! /sarcasm

Honestly, though, these arguments are pointless.

StickyGreenGamer said:
intoTheRain said:
StickyGreenGamer said:

Thor could have been 1.5 hour shorter and been much better.

At least the extra hour and half in BofLA was relevant to the story at hand.

Since you joined the forum I've agreed with everything you said, but man, come on.

Everything in Thor was necessary and relevant to the progression of the story.

Nothing in battle: LA was ever necessary for story progression, as there was no story besides aliens invading. You think humans won, then a bigger ship comes out of the ground, like 15 times. No story change, just a bigger ship, and a larger group of the worst looking aliens EVER in a movie. Honestly the girlfriend and I enjoyed it for the first hour. By hour 5 of the same repetative monotonous pointless non stop fighting, with zero story progression besides the typical sob marine story that we eagerly awaited to hear about from two face, we were contemplating suicide.

I just cannot fathom how someone can enjoy in anyway battle:LA lol. I can understand not liking Thor because it could be nothing you expected, but liking battle:LA, mind = blown.

And necro, arguing is fun, that's what forums are for. Even if its pointless, like this one is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod