Another thread about North Korea... but more serious

intoTheRain said:
If I were living in South Korea my jimmies would likely be a little bit rustled, as they have the artillery and man power to obliterate them overnight, but as I said earlier (I think) thats just NK committing suicide. I don't believe this kid a) has the balls to willingly kill himself, or b) is as bat shit crazy as he seems.
Just like to point out that while the south has a smaller force, it's MUCH better equipped and much better trained.
One example, N.Korea has no night fighting capability. Old tanks combined with abysmal computer equipment means they can't see shit at night, while the south has a bunch of brand new US hardware and full access to US satellites and drones.

Artillery only helps if it's close enough. Currently in or around South Korea is a couple hundred tons of over the horizon radar+GPS operated missiles. I bet the Jimmy Carter, Connecticut and Seawolf aren't at port anymore. As i understand it, 150x D-class tomahawks landing on your forces isn't the best start to a day, especially if it happens at 3am and when you try to find the subs that did it they're already long gone.

Here is israels.

iron-dome.jpg

danielrbischoff said:
How in the hell are missile defense systems supposed to work? I know I could google shit, but whatever.
Big missile detected, small missile launched, intercepts it and blows it up.

Role used to be primarily interceptor aircraft based. Still used a bit today, but primarily everyone relies on automated systems.

The F-14 was a good example - IIRC, it still holds some time-to-climb records.Back in the 70s & 80s, incoming missile could be detected, F-14 could be launched and at 50-70,000ft before the missile is even in US airspace. Methods then were variable, but if it's a fast ICBM the F-14 would come around behind it and above it while it's in final descent, get between mach 2.5-3 and launch its own missile.
Some air forces today still have interceptors as their main system with ground based missiles being the secondary. EG, the RAAF were going to send up our F-111s before any other systems before we decommissioned them.

The murrikan system is extremely good. Even back in the late 80s it was predicted that only 10% of a full nuclear attack launched by the USSR would actually get through. These days you don't bother with that stuff - you try to destroy the missile just after launch. The YAL-1 was a converted 747 with a fuckhuge (technical term) laser bolted onto it, and its job was going to be patrolling the border of countries you're at war with and sniping ICBMs at launch. This was deemed a flawed concept, and the air force abandoned it.
Then they slapped smaller lasers onto drones and now they just do it from inside enemy airspace. Chances are good that is N.Korea ever launched a nuke, that shit would be destroyed before it even hit 1km above ground.

I've been attempting to acquire all of my news regarding North Korea and its antics from news.com.au, but I hope I haven't missed anything.

From what I've read and heard about, North Korea's army is large and apparently fantatical, but like it's already been pointed out, South Korea's technology is far greater, more advanced than the North's and the South also has better training for their forces.
Basically as you're all already aware of, South Korea's technology is modern, North Korea's is very old school. Despite their old technology, I believe North Korea is a potential threat to be very dangerous.

I also read recently in an article from news.com.au that a former North Korean spy, now residing in South Korea (yeah, I know right?) believes that Kim Jong-un, "The World's Most Handsome Man" is pretty much doing all this to essentially gain the respect, influence and power over his army. He's not his dad, he's a new, young and inexperienced leader. That's apparently why he is running around visiting training camps, military groups etc. I think as people have already mentioned before, he's basically trying to make everyone think he's a bad arse and take him seriously.

He was promoted to a military general with no prior military experience, courtesy of his father? "Thanks dad." - I heard he's really just a kid who grew up in another country, playing video games and being educated with european university/college.

I am going to sound like a complete and utter dumbarse who is obvlious and ignorant to the world and I really do feel like an idiot about this, but I'm being quite serious - I honestly thought, up until this year, that North Korea was similar in terms of South Korea. Not in terms of like, entertainment and business companies, but at least in terms of technology and how people live.

I had no idea that North Korea's people were suffering from starvation and famine. I had no idea that they were so isolated from the outside world. I had no idea that people became so desperate for food, that they resorted to eating grass for God's sake. Old, specially modified televisions and phones are handed to families by the government which broadcast nothing to do with the outside world and it's all just propaganda bullcrap. Apparently those born in North Korea can't leave the country, and to move from location to another is an extremely difficult task and apparently only few, select people of certain health and wealth are allowed to live in the capital city of Pyongyang.

I knew North Korea had a crazy leadership (dictatorship) who I've always believed is seriously evil, but I never knew the country was this messed up.

And the labour camps. God damn it. I read a story about a thirty year old North Korean man, now residing in Melbourne Australia, who was born in one of these labour camps due to a punishment that was dealt to his grandfather. How terrible is that? Third generation and he was suffering for something he had nothing to do with, because he wasn't even born then! I'm happy this man is free, but it's sad to hear that there are so many more like him back in those camps in North Korea.

Uh, sorry. I went way off topic. I think North Korea won't actually do anything. I think everyone here is right, that Kim Jong-un is pretty much making all these threats and flaunting his power to try and show the world that he and North Korea are serious business. I don't think he'll actually pull the trigger. We all know if he does pull the trigger, he as well as North Korea itself will seriously be screwed. If he did pull the trigger and really, I hope he doesn't, I believe that severe potential damage would be caused, however I also believe that he would have to pay for the consequences of his actions, which I am sure he is smart enough to realise already.

Regardless, I really hope this is just more of their usual threats and that they won't actually do it.

You're right about the Europe thing. He grew up outside of NKorea, so he knows what everyone else has. He's thus unlikely to actually attack anything, because he knows the instant he does the entire world will be there to make his day bad.
Think about what would happen if the US and China refused to do anything (extremely unlikey) - Japan and the Commonwealth would be up for a good fight, anyway. ANZAC forces alone would be able to bolster SKorean forces enough to stop any sort of NKorean advance. It's impossible for him to attack anything without being destroyed in return. So now he's acting tough. Give it another week and he'll say he'll back off for a couple boxes of snickers, doritos and some ipads.

I think one thing that people forget about in the case of full scale war is the DMZ. There's several million mines there that would seriously limit the length of any combat front. This would probably limit any advantage the North gets from its massive army.

Welp.

Looks like we all see how big of a deal NK really was. Boston bombing happened and North Korea who?

Guess the media was just really digging for a story so sensationalized the hell out of next to nothing going on in NK.

Shocking.

yeah, i've been watching way too much CNN lately and the garbage on the news channels is astounding. They repeat themselves over and over again until there's nothing left.

On an unrelated note, the Associated Press twitter was hacked today and someone posted "Breaking: White House bombed, President Obama injured." Scared the shit out of me but the next second the account was made private to et rid of the hacker I guess.

US rejects N. Korea’s demands to be recognized as a nuclear state, says its "unacceptable"
http://rt.com/news/korea-demands-nuclea ... ition-246/

As for the twitter account being hacked. It caused trading algorithms to respond. AP spokesman Paul Colford quickly confirmed the tweet was "bogus," but within 3 minutes of the tweet hitting the Web, virtually all U.S. markets took a plunge on the false news in what one trader described as "pure chaos."

The three-minute plunge triggered by the tweet briefly wiped out $136.5 billion of the S&P 500 index's value, according to Reuters data. The Dow Jones Industrial Average temporarily dropped 143.5 points, or 0.98 per cent.

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/corporates/ ... age-321320

Yeah, Ive watched them all before including his culture in decline series which is still releasing.

I used to give copies of Zeitgeist Moving Forward to people I knew so they would better understand what a resource based society is and would look like.

Thanks for asking and sharing though.

Sourdeez said:
As for the twitter account being hacked. It caused trading algorithms to respond. AP spokesman Paul Colford quickly confirmed the tweet was "bogus," but within 3 minutes of the tweet hitting the Web, virtually all U.S. markets took a plunge on the false news in what one trader described as "pure chaos."

The three-minute plunge triggered by the tweet briefly wiped out $136.5 billion of the S&P 500 index's value, according to Reuters data. The Dow Jones Industrial Average temporarily dropped 143.5 points, or 0.98 per cent.

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/corporates/ ... age-321320

Meh...The Dow still closed over a percentage point up so it really wasn't hurt.

danielrbischoff said:
yeah, i've been watching way too much CNN lately and the garbage on the news channels is astounding. They repeat themselves over and over again until there's nothing left.

On an unrelated note, the Associated Press twitter was hacked today and someone posted "Breaking: White House bombed, President Obama injured." Scared the shit out of me but the next second the account was made private to et rid of the hacker I guess.

CNN has really turned into trash recently. They've taken a pretty hard dive to the right in their opinion shit, and their actual news coverage just isn't as good as it used to be. Much less reliable.

I used to be a Rachel Maddow fan for years but ever since obama was reelected I just cant watch her show anymore.

One news network I enjoy on the internet is "Democracy now!" with Amy Goodman.

danielrbischoff said:
I still feel like CNN Is more moderate and therefore superior. As liberal as I lean, MSNBC makes me want to turn in my badge.

It's not even that anymore. The quality of reporting they have is just... bad. They had a lot of problems with the Boston Marathon coverage in just getting basic facts right, and reporting things before getting confirmation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod