What's the point of life?

WickedLiquid said:
I've asked the same question to everyone who has told me evolution is plausible: "If we came from monkeys why are there still monkeys?*

And the answer is always "I dunno."

Then the people you ask are stupid. And I'm guessing you haven't cracked a book to find the answer yourself.

Paradox said:
WickedLiquid said:
I've asked the same question to everyone who has told me evolution is plausible: "If we came from monkeys why are there still monkeys?*

And the answer is always "I dunno."

Then the people you ask are stupid. And I'm guessing you haven't cracked a book to find the answer yourself.

Crack a book? You mean magazines without any pictures? Screw that.

But seriously, who needs facts when we have opinions?

Sticky's Grand Theory of the Universe

Whether one believes in the Big Bang Theory, something of a divine nature, or elsewhere in between, I believe this creates more questions than answers.

1) The universe could not have simply come into existence. We are supposed to believe that there was always an ever present blanket of darkness. Furthermore, the materials that created everything had to come from somewhere. Whether it is a deity, or scientific tom-foolery, it couldn't have just "popped" into existence.

2) If the creation or origin of the initial creation is discovered, it then stands to reason that the creator must have been created itself. This leads to additional creators, upwards infinitely.

3) By this theory, the universe cannot be stagnant, the level of creators rises forever, and there is no answerable ending or beginning. Questions can never be answered completely. There was, is, and forever will be an unidentifiable origin point, and hence the destination can never truly be known. With this being the case, there is no other alternative than to accept existence as it is currently known, and make of it whatever you wish.

Dropping some philosophical bombs up in here!

Sticky: You're exploding my mind, dude! Okay, so what you said is cool, but you can still posit meaning and purpose to life, even if you accept that you can never know the entirety of what's going on. "Make of it whatever you wish" is obviously always an option. What do you make of it?

GL: Yeah, I thought about it for a while. I figured now's the perfect time, if I'm ever going to link it to anyone. ;p At least that's one of the cuter, tamer songs.

StickyGreenGamer said:
The universe could not have simply come into existence....Whether it is a deity, or scientific tom-foolery, it couldn't have just "popped" into existence.

By this theory, the universe cannot be stagnant, the level of creators rises forever, and there is no answerable ending or beginning.

The time before The Big Bang (I, as others, don't really care for that name) would have been a time before the laws of physics as we know them existed. Maybe something did just pop into existence. Maybe another universe collapsed in on itself and expanded back out, creating ours. Maybe something happens in the future so intense that it affects the past, resulting in the trigger point of our universe. 

I don't know. Those are only ideas and thoughts. I am positive that our technology will reach the point one day where these questions will be answered with a certainty. 

As for the end, it's pretty much agreed that the universe will suffer a 'heat death'. Ever expanding, everything will keep moving away from everything else. Stars will grow old and die and there will not be enough raw material to create new ones. Barring technological intervention, the universe will die a cold, empty death. 

intoTheRain said:
pretty sure the answer is aliens

25717446_971463ea0c.jpg

The bible says the meaning of life is all about the benjamins, baby. No wait that's Judaism. Christianity is about not jerking off and no sex before marriage. Basically if you have fun God will hate you The Koran says the meaning of life is to kill yourself by blowing up people who disagree with you. And atheism, well atheists are just better than you. Also Darwin is a prophet.

I like buddhists though. Buddha would be a kick-ass sumo wrestler.

Seriously, everyone believes in something because they choose to believe in it. That right there tells me there is such a thing as free will. If nothing can ever be proven, it's your choice to decide.

Has anyone seen Waking Life? Man, I loved that movie.

I was actually thinking of telling you that, Wicked. I know you like it, and it's almost relevant to this thread. I HAVE just watched Waking Life AND A Scanner Darkly over the weekend. I'd seen Waking Life before, but not the other. It's normally the kind of movie I'd insist on watching alone, but I still enjoyed it immensely. Then I found out that the person I watched it with hasn't seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, or has but doesn't recall what it's about, so that's going next on the list.

To be completely honest, there are some bits that I dislike in Waking Life, but that's just because of what some of the characters say. I sometimes worry that people accept what is said in that movie as truth.

As a note about choosing what to believe, that's fine and all, but I really can't say that I have as much respect for people who continue to maintain/ignore inconsistencies in their beliefs. I think if you're going to choose a belief, you really need to be rational about these kinds of things. I don't really count it against anyone, but I think I will always strive to encourage people to think critically about all things.

Lien said:
Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Boobs, I thought this was answered decades ago.
If this is the meaning of life then why isn't Hitomi Tanaka the new pope?

Because she does not possess the only pair?

Seriously, i hate these meaning of life discussions because they assume everyone is the same. We're all individuals, make up your own damn meaning; if it means shooting yourself in the head or staring at a nice rack, go for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqq3e03EBQ

Well that's nice for you if you've already assumed that it's arbitrary and that you should just choose anything. But that doesn't satisfy the question for anyone who remains open to the possibility that there is a specific purpose or meaning to life. I mean, it's relevant to want to know the truth, right?

Sightless said:
Well that's nice for you if you've already assumed that it's arbitrary and that you should just choose anything. But that doesn't satisfy the question for anyone who remains open to the possibility that there is a specific purpose or meaning to life. I mean, it's relevant to want to know the truth, right?

i don't have to choose anything; but if I did, I'd choose life.

not really no, because you spend all your time trying to figuring something out that may only mean something to you. Maybe one day you'll Go "ah hah! I got it, the meaning of life!" and then you go tell Bob (everyone knows a bob) and she disagrees, thus sparking an argument. And maybe bob had figured out her own meaning of life she thought was equally acceptable.

The brain is too complicated of a machine to find meaning in it.

blackadder bob. Mattay might get it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod