What's the point of life?

Indead, great songs, both of them.

Sorry, reread my initial statement and it came across very dickish. I'm eight years into it now and I'm great at ignoring the itch feeling. It took forever.

You move your car along the path, get married, try for babies, collect tokens, and you want to be the first to the end because apparently you win a huge freakin' estate.

Either way, it's about money.

splash_big.jpg

if you're a non believer, there is no purpose. period.

if you are, so you can graduate to heaven and have good times?

bout it, nothing deep about it.

The point of life is to ensure your genetic material is passed onto the next generation. It's the same for all existing species, animal and plant. Humans just happen to have the sentience to better capitalize on their existence than any other species.

I'm a fan of the idea that theism and atheism compose a dichotomy, so you must be one or the other. They ask a question about belief rather than knowledge; you can have this (non-)belief with or without claiming something about knowledge, or our capacity to know. There, you're looking at the dichotomy of gnostic/agnostic. Sorry for anyone who's had that thrown in their face before.

Ugh: If your life were more interesting, you wouldn't care about this stuffs?

Why are you asking, Wicked? What makes you think there is a point to life? I would ask if you're here because you chose to be. Then I would say that you're here because it was and is convenient.

Do you need to justify your existence with a purpose? If so, ask your parents. You're here make the most of it. Asking about the meaning/purpose of life implies you have someone greater there giving us an answer - and if there is a grandiose scheme here at play then everyone's life is a means to an end where you have no say in the purpose you mindless cog. Your uncle died horrifically in a car crash at the age of 36 leaving behind 2 kids? Well, let it comfort you that there is a bigger picture here at play and your grief will serve as a learning tool for someone else who'll then learn from someone else, ad infinitum - until the scheme is played out.

You shouldn't be bothered by a purpose, because you have no choice in the matter either way - so just enjoy yourself. And if it bothers you that much - don't bring another life into the world.

^_^

I've been struggling with mortality issues lately so this topic is right along with where I've been mentally.

I don't believe that we were created. Creationism is retarded. Evolution is incomplete. Focusing on our past is keeping us from moving forward. If we want to continue existing in this universe then we need to refocus on cleaning the Earth and perfecting space travel. If we are still here when the sun starts to expand then nothing we have accomplished will matter.

All that aside the average human life span is what? 70 years of age? 65? For those of us who have hit 30 we can proudly say we are halfway to the end of our lives. We will be lucky (or unlucky depending on your viewpoint) to see a single great grandchild. that's barely 2 generations ahead of us. Do you believe that you have done enough to ensure the survival of your progeny?

Why are we here? Because we are. What's the point? None.

Why people have a hard time accepting this simple fact is beyond me.

Paradox said:
The point of life is to ensure your genetic material is passed onto the next generation. It's the same for all existing species, animal and plant. Humans just happen to have the sentience to better capitalize on their existence than any other species.

The MGS2 explanation! I like it!

Sightless said:
Why are you asking, Wicked?
Because it's a question that has boggled the mind since humanity first gazed upon the stars.

UrbanMasque said:
Do you need to justify your existence with a purpose?
No, I need to justify my existence with something logical.

I think maybe I'll just play the game of Life over a cheese platter.

I'm gonna go philosophical on yo asses...

The point of life is...to find the point in life.

WickedLiquid said:
No, I need to justify my existence with something logical.

You see...when a mummy and daddy love each other very much...

spartan317 said:
Why people have a hard time accepting this simple fact is beyond me.

People are scared of what they don't know. Quick answer, Death. Which is why religion has been so popular. (Don't worry I'm not going to go on a rant). I agree with everything you said - but its hard to get people to buy into the idea of sustaining a planet when they see it as a temporary rest stop.

Leave the planet in a better position than you found it. That will help ensure the survival of the human race. Colonizing other planets will also help. In the end, we basically need to continually outrun the effects of the big bang - eventually the universe will cool to absolute zero and at some point there will be nothing (unless we all take on a Dr. Manhattan type existence).. ...yea..

In short, our existence isn't sustainable in the big picture - but that doesn't mean we can't exist long enough to do and see some cool $H!T.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle