What a twist

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by kingg5, May 25, 2010.

1. kingg5

kingg5 Rookie

I was watching Dragonball Z Kai when a preview for The last airbender came on, and the ironic part is that it's directed by M. Night Shyamalan. I'm sorry if this topic is at the wrong time, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this whether there is gonna be a twist at the end like many of Shyamalan's movies.

2. schimmel

schimmel Rookie

I've known Shyamalan was directing The Last Airbender for a long time. Here's some backstory on these movies (from M. Night's perspective anyway):

A few years back his kid was watching the cartoon on (you guessed it) Nickelodeon (thanks Hlallu), and he decided to sit down with him and watch it. After about one or two episodes he instantly fell in love with the series and actually went out and bought every season on DVD. After watching every episode extensively, he began writing a script for a movie adaptation of it, only the script hit the two hour mark when he was only a third done with the story, so he decided to turn it into three movies. Before even thinking of getting funding to make it, he sent the scripts to the creators of the show in order to get their opinion on how he did in terms of staying true to it. The creators loved the scripts. They gave him their blessing and off he went to make his movies.

Although this is a Shyamalan movie series there will be no twists. The films will stay as true to the cartoon as a live action film series can be

That being said, I'm a big fan of the series and I saw the theatrical trailer to this when I went and saw Iron Man 2. It had my mouth hanging wide open. I actually think it looks like it might just live up to what I'm hoping for in a movie adaptation of this show.

3. Hlallu

Hlallu Rookie

The Last Airbender was on Nickelodeon, not cartoon network.
    anyways, looks good lol

4. schimmel

schimmel Rookie

Fixed. I downloaded the episodes, never watched them on TV, my bad for naming the wrong network

5. Hlallu

Hlallu Rookie

Sall good, just nitpicking lol

6. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

I saw the teaser trailer for the film when I went and saw Transformers 2 (I think I made a topic about it). From what I read, the kid that plays in the film is an actual black belt.

7. kingg5

kingg5 Rookie

Wow for my first topic in a long time i'm getting quite a few posts. It bums me out that there will be no plot twists seeing as though it's a Shyamalan movie but then again it makes me feel better that a director is sticking with the original plot of something, finally.

8. schimmel

schimmel Rookie

And with the exceptions of The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable Shyamalan's twists suck. He needed to get out of that rut otherwise he'd simply be a one-trick director

9. kingg5

kingg5 Rookie

I can't say I liked the village but the twist was priceless

10. Chris_Crime

Chris_Crime Rookie

It has to be a one-off deal when it comes to directing or you'll run the chance of people calling your work a shtick. There's too much money at stake.

But I always thought, for this guy, it was just a way to enter the business; to get a name right off the bat. I always thought he'd go on to something better.

And, hey, if not, the New Adventures of The Twilight Zone on SyFy will always be there for him!

11. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

This is a children's cartoon, right?

12. schimmel

schimmel Rookie

It is, but it's won quite a few awards (including Emmys) and been the subject of a lot of critical acclaim. The story is fantastic. I'm actually rewatching it now, and I'd recommend it if you haven't seen it

13. Sounds

Sounds Rookie

I just watched the whole first season of 'Avatar' on Netflix just to see what was so great about it.

14. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

^ Thoughts?

15. Nurgey

Nurgey Rookie

I recently watched the whole series in preparation for the movie and I can honestly say I really enjoyed it. The show has excellent character development, a good plot and deals with some surprisingly adult themes. I really hope the film turns out well.