User generated content

maca2kx

Rookie
People tend to be divided on the subject of user generated content. Some see it as a way of increasing the longevity of a game, others view it as a way for developers to rely on the public to flesh out their game without them lifting a finger. Say what you want about it though much of the content is crap with a few shining gems. Kind of like the PS2 game catalogue.

I'm playing LBP at the moment, both sampling other people's levels and making my own. There are some geniuses making levels out there and, unfortunately, there are some who barely attempt to make a level.

What do you think of the whole idea of user generated content? More to the point, what do you think about my level? :p

Sam

maca2kx said:
Say what you want about it though much of the content is crap with a few shining gems. Kind of like the PS2 game catalogue.
I'm disappointed. That was totally a Wii mocking moment. :?

LBP is probably teh best example of how charismatic user generated content can be. More games should follow the "make it your own" concept.

I'm downloading an almost completely overhauled version of D2LoD called Median. See, games should allow users to do stuff like this, with a full customization UI and everything.

I like it, but there's always a risk when relying on it. Take LBP, it could have turned out terribly had it not been done right.

You made a Rube Goldberg level? That's awesome! If I had a PS3 and LBP, I would totally play it... but I have neither... so yeah. :(

I think the idea of user generated content has it's pro's and con's. Obviously there is going to be a ton of crap to weed through to get to the good stuff. But there can be some cool stuff in there and it was probably a lot of fun to make those levels and see how it played out.

Depends which game for me. Something like LBP is something new and cool like TL said.

But making a level for a shooter (which is the only user generated content I've done), is a bit stale now. I remember doing it for Timesplitters quite a bit and it wasn't the best.
I only used the Forge in Halo 3 to spell my name out in guns too.

I think in PC gaming, user made content is still a big thing. Console games are learning, but they have some catching up.

Good topic.

For me, if a game features something as simple as a replay editor, I'm instantly more likely to buy that game. And if it does something more novel like the paint scheme creator in Forza 2, or the ability to drag any object in Skate 2, then I'll probably lose my shit and spend hours entertaining myself with those features alone.

Quit lording your LBP over me, Sam! Soon I'll get a PS3. Then it's on.

used44 said:
Quit lording your LBP over me, Sam! Soon I'll get a PS3. Then it's on.

Hell yeah, I recently learnt how to make and use complicated switches (check out the catapults in the video for a head breaking example) which has opened the door for a lot of cool things.

Sam

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle