They don't make 'em like they used to...Thank God.

malakian

Rookie
So, I completed Gremlins 2 for the nes the other day, and I spent literally 3 hours on one level.

Games are SO MUCH easier nowadays, and I personally think this makes them better, though reading blogs this is a controversial view. So what're your thoughts, homies?

I finished Doom on Nightmare. That caused me to have a minor orgasm. I like them long and hard.
Wink1.gif

i dunno. i enjoy games tht r easier so i enjoy them more.

EG tiger woods 07 on wii, i suck at it...but on easy swing mode im the fucking king!!

basically im sayin, i prefer the now games. but i still love the old games too heh!

I prefer to be able to progress and get to new levels/areas/quests, instead of getting stuck and having to remake the same checkpoint/level over and over again.

I like upgrading things. Not like a full on RPG, but just make your character, vehicle, weapon, etc better. That's what I like about games now.

I like the fact that games are easier, largely because I've always been absolutely terrible at them. If a game is too easy, obviously it's a problem, but a game that's near impossible (or, in fact impossible, like Crusaders of Might & Magic which has a bug that stops you from killing the final boss..) it's not fun at all.

I'm a big fan of the "classic" games that others have spawned off, so to speak. I also love games that are challenging, but also engage me in a storyline, so to be honest I'm a bit on the fence. Although I would say that nowadays there's too much emphasis put on graphics.

i just love how far gaming has come since then. games like fukin PACMAN to OBLIVION. from the original RIDGE RACER to the amazing looking RIDGE RACER 7. gaming has come long ways. as for difficulty, they made their adjustments,
but the gaming market still had its share of harder games. NINJA GAIDEN, DEVIL MAY CRY 3 (original)...so gaming is right where it should be. im just glad we got rid of pacman..i honestly cant play it for more than 5 minutes..lol

MattAY said:
i dunno. i enjoy games tht r easier so i enjoy them more.

EG tiger woods 07 on wii, i suck at it...but on easy swing mode im the **** king!!

basically im sayin, i prefer the now games. but i still love the old games too heh!
Dude, no way, If you want to play easy games then pull over and let the real gamers though.
The harder the game the better, Halo 2 on easy, fun,
Halo 2 on Legendary, AWSOME, could die 27 time by the same grunt and still have a good time, Matter O fact, have a better time.
I get a better sense of acomplishment when I beat a game on Hard than when i do beating one on easy, its called easy cuz if you play on this dfficulty you obviously aint got a game face to put on.
The End.

Remember that one reason games were harder in the past was because most of the time, they were also so damn short. Once you've honed your gaming instincts to the fullest, it will take only half an hour to go through Super Mario Bros. If you're -not- in a particular hurry and want to do a speed-run, that is. Imagine a game that's taking 15 hours to go through if you do it almost without fail, and being of the hardness level of, say Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels.

Well, it seems that Supg40 would like that, at least. ;)

I appreciate that the amount of gratification you get when finally finishing that last level on a game that doesn't allow you to save (at all) is insanely good but I love the pick up and play aspect of most games today. Developers had to make up for the fact that they couldn't include loads of gameplay because of limited memory so they just made their games nigh on impossible, they've got a lot more to work with now and unfortunately a lot of the time this effort is targeted on graphics rather than gameplay.

Sam

Personally, I like a challenge. A game that is challenging without being overly difficult is a rare pleasure indeed.

If I set myself up mentally, I'm willing to tackle an extremely difficult game. Taking hours to figure out the strategy needed to get past a certain part can be fun. In the end, I'll probably end up using some sort of cheap strategy, cheat, or some other such underhanded method to do it, since I'm only really good at a handful of games. I prefer easier games generally.

I think games need to be in the middle, challenging, but not too much. If a game is too hard and I keep dying, I'll get bored with it or frustrated (depends on the game and how I die) and just quit. If it's too easy, I won't feel any satisfaction winning. It has to be in the middle.

Most games today have difficulty levels to satisfy everyone, so that's great. I usually play the games on Normal (usually the diff. setting the developers intended for it to be played).

I really won't like spending ages on a game just to pass one point or level, wasting many hours. I'd rather pass it with a decent challenge in a relatively short time. I got other games to play, and a life to live. Can't spend 10 hours trying to beat one stupid boss or something.

maca2kx said:
Developers had to make up for the fact that they couldn't include loads of gameplay because of limited memory so they just made their games nigh on impossible

Yeah, and the limited gameplay was futher hampered by the limited controls.
Having only an A and B button had to make things difficult for the developers to map game keys. Or it just wasn't worth the time invested to find workarounds, I dunno.

Remember dying by falling into water, like on Castlevania or Double Dragon.. or Grand Theft Auto: Vice City? How many games used that lame trick?
At least the generic pit full of spikes I can understand, but water? come on now... that's just lazy.

I doubt we'll ever see water as a means of death in a video game ever again.
?

but then again, I've been wrong before

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle