The Avengers |OT|

So, as I was saying before, I already have my ticket. And the thing is that I'm currently in a Marvel Comics class, so the whole class is taking an unofficial field trip to the midnight release.

There's going to be a trivia contest and a costume contest, and so our instructor is going to take part in both.

danielrbischoff said:
Anyone reading any good Avenger's books right now? I'm dying for a new trade paperback and I'd love to read some modern-leaning Iron Man, Thor, Cap, or Hulk right now.
Have you read Dark Reign/Siege? Because both are pretty damn good.

In terms of Hulk, Planet Hulk and World War Hulk are both great.

I actually just started New Avengers. I'm on #8.

And I'm reading Avengers vs X-Men, of course.

Joss Whedon. That name alone is enough to ensure that it will be really good...or kinda bad. But I like him when he deals with large ensemble casts.

intoTheRain said:
According the reviews this movie can be nothing short of one of the best movies of all time. I work opening night, but I'll be going as soon as possible afterwards.
Honestly, i think there's a little bit too much hype going on.
It's a great movie, no doubting that, but it's around the same level of goodness as the first Iron Man movie.

The movie is like 3/4 leading up (which feels oddly rushed. How can like 1.5hrs of the movie just to introduce characters be rushed?) to the big battle, which while cool is a little bit of a let down because you get the feeling that a single dude with a couple FN 5-7s with extended mags could do exactly the same job as Thor or Captain America.

There's also the problem of Furys new mobile base. (light spoilers)
This base is so obviously physics defying that i'm pretty sure the writer dug up sir issac newtons corpse only to cum on its face and call it a 'bitch' before threatening the CG guys to 'just do it' with a gun.

I worked it out just before, and to lift this 'base' we're going to assume it's lighter than an aircraft carrier despite being larger and comfortably being able to accommodate a hulk.
To lift the full weight of furys base, you would need the same lifting capability as 4000 chinhook helicopters.
That means over 1000 megawatts of electricity assuming literally dozens of ridiculously aggressive blades and assuming all the walls are made from cardboard.
Furys thing has 4 motors.

That means that once everything is factored in, you need around 16 of the nuclear reactors that power an aircraft carrier just to lift his base without danger.

Remember how in Iron Man and even Thor everything was specifically set up with a scientific or at least mostly reasonable way for things to exist, like Tonys reactor and the Worm Hole, in Hulk and Captain America they were science experiments seeing if it's possible to change humans?

All the previous movies were mostly based in reality, and then they make a flying aircraft carrier.

You're complaining about the Shield Helicarrier in a movie tha has a norse God, a man who can increase his mass by 20 times in a matter of seconds, a guy with a robot suit that can shoot lasers and is all powered by a permanent battery the size of an iPod, a super-soldier who was flash-frozen and emerged alright, and Samuel L. Jackson in it?

Seriously?

Samesies.

I generally make it a rule not to read madster's long, complaining posts anyway, so I'm good.

Longo_2_guns said:
A Norse God
Alien that's harnessed a 'rosen bridge' and chilled on earth in the ancient times to appear to them as a god. The Immortality and flying is a little hard to get around, yes, but still better than a god.
Longo_2_guns said:
A man who can increase his mass by 20 times in a matter of seconds
Magical physics defying gamma radiation
Longo_2_guns said:
A guy with a robot suit that can shoot lasers and is all powered by a permanent battery the size of an iPod
New type of reactor/new element that seems at least sort of possible
Longo_2_guns said:
A super-soldier who was flash-frozen and emerged alright
Freezing is theoretically possible. Super soldier bit goes back to the radiation.
Longo_2_guns said:
And Samuel L. Jackson in it?
...Point.

But seriously though, if you watch the other movies great lengths are taken to try and make the comic book magic at least have a basis in reality.
The flying aircraft carrier goes so against that, it manages to seem out of place in a movie where RDJ and an Australian guy with a hammer have a fight with lasers and lightning.

They use an Arc Reactor and the remaining research from the Cosmic Cube to power a fusion engine that allows it to fly. Explanation, done.

Man I was all pumped to watch a super heroes movie with a man that increases mass 20 fold, but his pants stay on, an invincible unlimited power suited man, a super soldier with an indestructible shield, and a norse god, but if the base can't adhere to physics there's no way I can be immersed into this otherwise perfect portrayal of reality, fuck it I'm out

Just went and saw it. Pretty fucking great.

Though part of it was the crowd at the midnight release. First of all, I got there at 6. I went with my Marvel Comics class, so that's why. We got sorta drunk and hung out there for a few hours. Then they did a costume contest, where the winners were a kickass Captain America, Taskmaster, and Ms. Marvel, the latter two were people from my class, with the Taskmaster being my instructor.

Anyway, we got let in and chilled out in the theater for 45 minutes before they finally showed previews. That included a 10 minute timeframe when they just showed "Please Silence Your Cellphones" resulting in chanting of "Start the movie!". Dark Knight, Prometheus, and Spider-Man were the best previews. They each got applause.

Anyway, movie was about what I expected. The crowd really amped up the experience though. Lots of cheering, lots of laughter. All in all a great fucking movie.

Saw it last night at 3 AM because fuck the huge crowd at midnight. Agreed with Longo. Great movie, totally lived up to the hype, although I can't say it exceeded. Make sure to stay all the way to the end of the credits!

Best part? It was genuinely funny, no cheap laughs, literally made me laugh out loud on a handful of occasions.

The real star of the show? Hulk.

Longo_2_guns said:
You're complaining about the Shield Helicarrier in a movie tha has a norse God, a man who can increase his mass by 20 times in a matter of seconds, a guy with a robot suit that can shoot lasers and is all powered by a permanent battery the size of an iPod, a super-soldier who was flash-frozen and emerged alright, and Samuel L. Jackson in it?

Seriously?

This

Anyone interested in possibly chatting about The Avengers for like a mini-podcast sideshoot let me know and we'll put it up under GameRevolution Radio.

I loved it and it lives up to the hype. All characters were so well done, dialogue was amazing, action scenes were well shot and they didn't rush anything. Sure not every detail of ever hero may have been shown but can't get mad at that because if you didn't see Iron Man 1 & 2, Thor, Incredible Hulk, Captain America or know anything about any of the characters then it's a bit on you. Hopefully TDKR and Spider-Man turn out to be amazing as well, I don't doubt either one but just in case...... You know how Hollywood is

Side note this movie made me fall in love with Hulk, never really liked him as a superhero and this movie showed me how badass he is. Mark did a excellent job in my opinion and Hawkeye was badass as well..... But I will say every time black widow busted out that pistol I laughed, it's friggin' huge monsters what's your 9mm going to do? She had a better shot just using her ass to kill off the invaders

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133