If only they had a cellphone....

Anyone ever notice situations in movie or TV shows where a cell phone would have solved all of their problems? Most of Seinfeld is like that, tons of 80s movies, etc... but any specifics?

How about The Bubble Boy (you probably know this Seinfeld episode):
Jerry and Elaine are driving north to Susan's father's cabin and plan on stopping to see The Bubble Boy, a fan whose father asked Jerry to come visit. In the other car are George and Susan, the leaders of the caravan.

Anyway, George takes off and Jerry loses him. Shit goes down after that. And if there were cellphones? "Elain, call George and tell that idiot I don't know where I'm going."

"Hi Susan, George is driving too fast."

PROBLEM SOLVED. Thank you technology! Anyway, just link a Wikipedia description of the movie or show because fuck I spent way more time on this because it's my thread and I don't wanna be lazy.

HAH! The Bubble Boy! I remember that episode. :D

Life is so much Goddamn easier with a cell phone.

My coach at Judo refuses to get a cell phone, and it's annoying as hell. If we need to contact him we either need to ring his home landline number, or his work landline number. So if he's out of either areas, we can't reach him. It's VERY annoying when we're down south interstate at a competition or something and we need to find him, let him know what we're doing etc. It's very, very irritating. He reckons he doesn't need a phone and that we all rely too much on mobiles. Sure, we do... but it's easier when you got one.

My dad is seventy years old and has a mobile phone and knows how to use it. It's very convenient and makes things a tonne easier.

Hello LAPD, yeah, I’m in Nakatomi tower surrounded by terrorists, bring shoes and cigarettes.

If Jack Torrence from The Shining had internet access with Netflix, Hulu and YouTube he probably would have had something to occupy his free time other than murdering his family.

If Forest Gump and Jenny had Facebook he would have found her right after she moved away from home.

If Frodo Baggins had a cell phone, Gandalf would have called him as soon as he beat that giant demon thing and told him he was cool.

If Loyd and Harry had a GPS in Dumb and Dumber they would've stayed right on track, thus getting caught by the police when they made that wrong turn and headed in the opposite direction.

I thought Seinfeld was set in a time before cell phone was invented... no?

If jesus and god had a cellphone, the passion of the christ would of been totally different.

Paradox said:
Hello LAPD, yeah, I’m in Nakatomi tower surrounded by terrorists, bring shoes and cigarettes.

Hahaha!

*Biff googles the 'make like a tree' joke.*

"Why dont you make like a tree...and leaf!"

This wouldn't have anything to do with a certain commercial now, would it?

But, to play along, if they had a cell phone in Crimson Tide, it would've made the movie like an hour shorter and with a lot less tension. If cellphones worked on nuclear submarines in the middle of the ocean that is. On second thought, maybe the wasn't the best example. Oh well.

Master_Craig said:
My coach at Judo refuses to get a cell phone, and it's annoying as hell. If we need to contact him we either need to ring his home landline number, or his work landline number. So if he's out of either areas, we can't reach him. It's VERY annoying when we're down south interstate at a competition or something and we need to find him, let him know what we're doing etc. It's very, very irritating. He reckons he doesn't need a phone and that we all rely too much on mobiles. Sure, we do... but it's easier when you got one.

Not getting a cell phone to prove a point now is just stubborn and rude.. for reasons like this. Like congratulations, you don't have a cell phone you're so unique and old school. Thanks for causing continual headaches we could all have avoided just for your ego.

There is no reason anyone shouldn't be able to just have a cell phone that is used for nothing else but phoning/texting in emergencies. Thats just logical and expected. Tell him to get over it and at least get a pre paid phone. That rustles my jimmies.

I can understand being against smart phones to an extent, not wanting to have your head buried in them etc. at all times. But there is no way he could form a logical and reasonable argument against using them simply to phone and/or text if an emergency.

I don't so much mind this in movies and TV shows and things (when looking at 80s fashion, the plot is the last thing i'm picking on), but it's INCREDIBLY jarring when it happens in books i'm engrossed in. It's literally like a kick in the head, when one of the characters has to find a pay-phone or actually use an in-car phone or something. Immersion snapping, considering i'm one of those young'uns that grew up with mobiles. Nostalgia for me is getting a new Siemens and downloading poly ringtones.

The widespread adoption of mobile/cell phones is easily one of the best things to happen in recent years. Life is so much simpler now, and i'm sure literally millions of lives have been saved.

On the other hand, smartphones are contributing massively to the breakdown of society and hemorrhoids. Smartphones are one of the worst things to happen in recent memory, removing the need for your friends to be around. And when you're around your friends, you can use your phone.
Truly, steve jobs is literally satan.

Also, if you try to come between me and my xperia play, imma stab you. No flashy moves, no 'EN GARDE!'. Just a stab wound to the neck. Then i'll grab my phone and check twitter to see what nerdcubed's doing.

I recalled this Cracked article from a few months ago. Here's a few choice samples.

170429.jpg

170798_v1.jpg

170409.jpg

Paradox said:

Haha crisis averted! But then Batman would never be. I guess it's a good thing his parents were murdered right in front of him. That sort of thing should happen more often.

But seriously, that one is awesome.

^Agree with Lethean.

The Parking Garage (another episode of Seinfeld): The four of them can't find Kramer's car after a long day of shopping. Drop a fucking GPS pin on that shit or take a picture of the nearest garage marker.

used44 said:
I think The Warriors is the ultimate example of this.
Seriously. Hell, if they had a radio the whole thing would've been averted. They could've just gone to a phone, called for backup, and then a couple of other Warriors would've just taken the train out from Coney with some weapons for them.

intoTheRain said:
Master_Craig said:

Not getting a cell phone to prove a point now is just stubborn and rude.. for reasons like this. Like congratulations, you don't have a cell phone you're so unique and old school. Thanks for causing continual headaches we could all have avoided just for your ego.

There is no reason anyone shouldn't be able to just have a cell phone that is used for nothing else but phoning/texting in emergencies. Thats just logical and expected. Tell him to get over it and at least get a pre paid phone. That rustles my jimmies.

I can understand being against smart phones to an extent, not wanting to have your head buried in them etc. at all times. But there is no way he could form a logical and reasonable argument against using them simply to phone and/or text if an emergency.

I only recently got a cellphone so I can relate to this guy. It's not about him being a rebel, it's that he just honestly doesn't need a cellphone. The guy is probably guessing you need it because reasons A, B, or C, which are all reasons he has covered in his life.

Honestly now that I got a cell phone, what did I get? A video player and a messenger on the go. That's about it! Also a wireless leash. A lot of the apps and functionality that comes with a cell phone most ppl just don't need, so I get where that guy is coming from.
How did people last so long without cell phones?

The worst is friends(or my sister for example) who have a cellphone but sometimes just refuse to answer it or text back.

Its kind of rude. I make it a point to text back as soon as I can without putting myself in danger. Its about being a decent human being towards one another.

Optimus-Crime said:
intoTheRain said:
Master_Craig said:

I only recently got a cellphone so I can relate to this guy. It's not about him being a rebel, it's that he just honestly doesn't need a cellphone. The guy is probably guessing you need it because reasons A, B, or C, which are all reasons he has covered in his life.

Honestly now that I got a cell phone, what did I get? A video player and a messenger on the go. That's about it! Also a wireless leash. A lot of the apps and functionality that comes with a cell phone most ppl just don't need, so I get where that guy is coming from.
How did people last so long without cell phones?

its not that im saying you cant survive without cell phones, you very easily can. the point is they are here, they make lives much more convenient, and this guy Craig is talking about has inconvenienced many people, on many occasions, just because he doesn't want to get one.

it'd be a different story if his not owning a cell phone didn't affect the people around him, as well as himself.

they're a great tool in many ways, and in many others are a drain on society. i'm cool with being against them for that reason. but at least get a pre paid phone for emergency/convenience texts and phone calls.

danielrbischoff said:
Sourdeez said:
Its kind of rude.
It's totally rude. At least let me know you got the fucking text.

I hate that shit too.

It's the equivalent of someone saying "hey, what's up?" and me looking them in the eye and just going back to whatever the fuck I was doing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod