Star Wars: The Force Awakens - rumors, potential spoilers

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Apologies if there is already a thread for this topic, I couldn't find it. Anyway, this thread is about the new Star Wars film, Episode VII: The Force Awakens. The thread may contain rumors and spoilers to the upcoming film. If you have any news or postings of your own, please feel free to share, but be aware that there may be spoilers.

I'm pretty excited. Actually, "pretty excited" is a bit of an understatement. I'm super excited, beyond that, this is the biggest movie of the year for me. Because of that, I'm actually quite scared of how it might turn out.

I've been a big fan of Star Wars ever since I was a young teenager. From the films, video games, comics and even some of the novels of the expanded universe. When Disney revealed that this movie would essentially be the new "canon" and pretty much wipe out everything else in the expanded universe, so many fans on the Internet cried out in anger. I wasn't too upset, however I think it's a very ballsy move that could either make, or completely break Star Wars.

So, to kick things off...

Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens_Teaser_Poster.jpg

This is the latest poster for the Force Awakens. One of the new characters and main protagonists, "Finn" (played by John Boyega, guy on the top left) has a blue bladed lightsaber in his hand. In the first trailer, Finn was revealed to be in storm trooper gear. A lot of people speculated that he was probably a rebel in disguise, but it's been revealed that he's actually a storm trooper to begin with. He's got a light saber though, so it's clear he's Force sensitive and will be a Jedi. Trained by Luke Skywalker, maybe?

Speaking of which, here's Mark Hamill as an older and probably much wiser and more powerful Luke Skywalker. There are better quality images around but it was tricky to find.

Luke-Skywalker-featured-image-790x459.jpg

He's got a very Obi-Wan Ben Kenobi thing going on there. Apparently Mark Hamill is now the exact same age as Sir Alec Guinness, back when he filmed Episode IV: A New Hope.

Now, back to Finn.

sabre.gif

Finn igniting his lightsaber, ready (more reluctant) to fight. It looks like he's about to try and take on the new Dark side character, the one with the controversial cross guard lightsaber. Star Wars released a very short teaser on their official Instagram, which can be seen here - https://instagram.com/p/65PhxOs_RH/?taken-by=starwars - it also looks like Finn is wielding Luke Skywalker's first lightsaber (which belonged to Anakin Skywalker). This probably isn't the case, considering Luke lost his lightsaber in Epsidode V: The Empire Strikes Back, when Darth Vader cut his hand off.

There's a lot of rumours going around suggesting that Finn could be the son of Han Solo. It was revealed (maybe slipped, who knows) by directors of the new film that they intentionally have not revealed Finn's last name, unlike some of the other characters. Of course, people have jumped up and down to this speculation, suggesting that Finn can't be the son of Han Solo because well, Han is white and so is his lover, Leia.

Well, the new Star Wars comics by Marvel (which are considered "canon" and are tying the ends of Episode VI: Return of the Jedi to Episode VII: The Force Awakens) has revealed that before Han met Leia, he apparently had a wife. Sana Solo.

v2StarWarsSplit.jpg

Since the comic has only just been recently released, there's not much information on Sana. She's a bit of a bad arse character, seemingly having a fractured relationship with Han. She's on the hunt for Han and is willing to hurt and even kill others in order to find him. What she wants with him is unknown, but it's assumed she's after his bounty which was placed on him by Jabba the Hutt. Sana is also keen on the capture of Princess Leia, to take her in to the Imperials for her bounty as well. Sana claims she isn't a bounty hunter, but she's kinda acting like one.

With this in mind, could Finn be Han's son? Furthermore, would that make Sana the untapped Force sensitive? Questions!

So, onto the other protagonist.

anigif_enhanced-9567-1433426390-5.gif

We've all seen this part in the trailers. We've got Rey (played by Daisy Ridley) sprinting along with Finn and their little Droid friend (who I adore already). We can see a glimpse of a TIE fighter in the background to the left, so I suspect the area is attacked by a TIE bomber maybe. Whether or not Rey and Finn are the direct targets is unknown.

Not much has been said about Rey either. She's apparently a scavenger on the planet of Jakku (most likely the desert world we see in the trailers, so maybe that isn't Tatooine). She has been described as a completely self sufficient character who does everything by herself, until she meets Finn and their adventure begins. Rey is also another character who's last name hasn't been revealed either. Could she be Luke Skywalker's daughter, maybe? In the latest trailer, we hear Luke's words "The Force is strong in my family. My father had it. I have it. My sister has it. You have it too." - could he be talking to Rey?

That's all I've got for now. If anyone has any rumors and news of their own they'd like to share, please feel free. :)

Think Craig is going for the win on this topic a day contest.

Good job dave man. I know nothing at all about Star Wars so I can't comment. But the new one does look amazing, so hopefully it'll make me want to watch the others.

Haha, thanks man.

Well, I love Star Wars and while I shouldn't be trying to spoil the movie for myself, I just can't help it! I just want to learn more about it!

I highly recommend the films, although I'm not gonna lie, the writing can be a bit bad at times, courtesy of the original writer, director and creator George Lucas. The original trilogy, Episodes 4 - 6 are great, but the prequel trilogy released from 1999 - 2005 are... well, they look pretty, but they're not the best movies.

I guess the reason I'm so keen - and scared of episode 7 (The Force Awakens) is because it's going to essentially retcon all of the previous "canon" - books, comics, video games etc. So basically... it better be bloody good!

I do enjoy the work of J.J. Abrams as I really liked his new Star Trek films (and I'm not even a Star Trek fan). I do also like Disney's live action films, like Pirates of the Caribbean, so I have faith in this.

I hate Han Solo. He does everything wrong in all three movies. Honestly, he fucks up everything except the end of the original.

That's my two cents.

Longo_2_guns said:
I hate Han Solo. He does everything wrong in all three movies. Honestly, he fucks up everything except the end of the original.

That's my two cents.
That's because Harrison Ford wasn't planning on doing anything else with Han Solo after the end of the first movie, so when they wrote the script for the second, they ended it in such a way that it would make sense if he felt the same way about the third. Of course, he ended up coming back for that as well, and it all turned into a, 'fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me,' kind of thing.

Or is it, "uh fool me can't get fooled again?"

That's pretty much it. Harrison Ford wasn't really an actor before Episode IV: A New Hope (well, he did do stage acting and stuff and was in a film before Star Wars, but he was still very much "unknown" at the time). He was a carpenter who happened to be at George Lucas' house working on cupboards and furniture. Lucas then asked Ford to sit with him and read some scripts, he did, then Ford found his Han Solo. :p

Pretty sure everyone's seen this, but to celebrate the release of The Force Awakens, there's a pre-order incentive for Star Wars: Battlefront and it comes in the form of this little toy, the Droid BB-8 as seen in The Force Awakens.

bestbuy-tfa-090515-a.jpg

Image isn't working for some reason... check it out here - https://futureofstarwars.files.wordpres ... =520&h=246

The little guy is remotely controlled using a smart phone and a downloadable application. He cruises around and his head remains connected to the ball body via a magnet. It's pretty cool.

See it in action here - https://youtu.be/-1Y2WfcCb4M

I won't get one, but I think it's pretty cool.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo