So I Lost My Job...

Links and Kurt, have you considered relocating for a job opportunity? I say let those resumes fly online and see what pans out.

I know a gal who relocated from Chicago to Dallas (!) and found work teaching here. She started as a sub, though.

Or how about the other gal i know who moved from Dallas to San Antonio and found work there teaching the 3rd grade.
(she wasn't really too bright, so it honestly worries me a little on how she's now teaching...)

I'd try more rural areas where the cost of living is much lower. Good luck to you both. Kurt, I know you could find work in areas if you were willing to travel.

Chris_Crime said:
Links and Kurt, have you considered relocating for a job opportunity? I say let those resumes fly online and see what pans out.

I know a gal who relocated from Chicago to Dallas (!) and found work teaching here. She started as a sub, though.

Or how about the other gal i know who moved from Dallas to San Antonio and found work there teaching the 3rd grade.
(she wasn't really too bright, so it honestly worries me a little on how she's now teaching...)

I'd try more rural areas where the cost of living is much lower. Good luck to you both. Kurt, I know you could find work in areas if you were willing to travel.

Your post depresses me :-( lol

Most of the jobs I've applied for are in about a 30 miles radius of Dallas, but I haven't gone to the more rural places yet. My one job interview I previously mentioned? It was in San Antonio, I was one of three finalists for that position. Mesquite is currently the city I am subbing for.

Next school year I plan to widen my search a little more, and look for places further out there, but I would like to stay within 2-3 hours of Dallas. I had a couple opportunities I also declined, got a job offer to teach in Costa Rica at a English speaking private school, but said no. Also had a job lined up in the middle of nowhere west Texas but declined that as well.

So would this topic be a bad place to say that I just got hired and start my new dream job* tomorrow?

No, it wouldn't, because I got hired after a five month stretch of unemployment after getting fired from my shitty slightly-above minimum wage job for high-school dropouts. You know, the kind of job that plenty of smart, qualified, college degree holders are forced to take because the economy is in the crapper. Things seemed hopeless. I was depressed. So yeah, I have first hand knowledge of much it sucks to loose your job in a recession.

My advice to you: Go on unemployment right now, if you haven't already. There is no shame in it, and you have already paid into it. You also have the benefit of being a victim of situations that are beyond your control. Rework your resume, and focus on the skills you used in the workplace more than what you actually did. If you still want to work in the same field, you have the advantage of being on insider to how the application and hiring process works. And if you have to get a job waiting tables or working in a grocery store, stay in touch with your teacher and para friends. They will be able to tell you about any new developments.

Is there anyplace when you can volunteer or do an internship? It might sound like a retrograde movement to start working for no pay, but these things give structure to your life, teach you some new skills, give you a reference or two, and provide you with networking contacts. Plus, when you have the interview and the subject of your work history comes up, its far better to say you've been volunteering/interning, rather than spending all day sleeping late, applying to jobs, and playing video games and only leaving the house to buy groceries and check the mail.

As for less tangible advice, it might sound hard, but stay positive. Interviewers can tell if you feel beaten down or depressed, so when that interview for that perfect job comes around, make sure you are genuinely EXCITED about how AWESOME this job is.

Good luck.

*OK, so maybe its not a dream job, its a part-time entry level position in the field in which I want to start a career in.

No teaching jobs in missouri. That's all changing; you can't get teaching jobs because there are too many old timers that haven't quite worked their 30 years. Education in this country is bust anyways; you all could be the best teachers in the world, but the way the system is now you'll never get anywhere. Because of those unions, teaching is all about the money, we've spent an every increasing amount of money (billions) on k-12 education, yet since 1979 there has only been a 8% increase in enrollment. Grades have stagnated. School is about children, not your jobs.

I believe teachers should be the millionaires in society, but I also believe teaching needs to be based on merit, not tenure as it is now.

Three history majors wanting to teach in this little forum alone shows how crowded the market is.

Me thinks I'll catch flak for this post for sure. :)

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
No teaching jobs in missouri. That's all changing; you can't get teaching jobs because there are too many old timers that haven't quite worked their 30 years. Education in this country is bust anyways; you all could be the best teachers in the world, but the way the system is now you'll never get anywhere. Because of those unions,

stopped_reading_there.png

...wow.

Sooo its not about the Teach for Americorp idiots, undercutting the established teachers who've been doing it for a while (most of whom only teach for a year or two then quit in TeachforAmerica- because its only a job for them, and they lack the education required to be a teacher). No its not about the privatization of the education system. Its about how greedy the unions and the career teachers are, isthatright? Unions.. nothing but trouble. Wow. just... wow.

wait lemme guess - environmental restrictions are keeping companies from hiring b/c it hurts their bottom-line too, right?

GiftedMonkey said:
So would this topic be a bad place to say that I just got hired and start my new dream job* tomorrow?

No, it wouldn't, because I got hired after a five month stretch of unemployment after getting fired from my shitty slightly-above minimum wage job for high-school dropouts. You know, the kind of job that plenty of smart, qualified, college degree holders are forced to take because the economy is in the crapper. Things seemed hopeless. I was depressed. So yeah, I have first hand knowledge of much it sucks to loose your job in a recession.

My advice to you: Go on unemployment right now, if you haven't already. There is no shame in it, and you have already paid into it. You also have the benefit of being a victim of situations that are beyond your control. Rework your resume, and focus on the skills you used in the workplace more than what you actually did. If you still want to work in the same field, you have the advantage of being on insider to how the application and hiring process works. And if you have to get a job waiting tables or working in a grocery store, stay in touch with your teacher and para friends. They will be able to tell you about any new developments.

Is there anyplace when you can volunteer or do an internship? It might sound like a retrograde movement to start working for no pay, but these things give structure to your life, teach you some new skills, give you a reference or two, and provide you with networking contacts. Plus, when you have the interview and the subject of your work history comes up, its far better to say you've been volunteering/interning, rather than spending all day sleeping late, applying to jobs, and playing video games and only leaving the house to buy groceries and check the mail.

As for less tangible advice, it might sound hard, but stay positive. Interviewers can tell if you feel beaten down or depressed, so when that interview for that perfect job comes around, make sure you are genuinely EXCITED about how AWESOME this job is.

Good luck.

*OK, so maybe its not a dream job, its a part-time entry level position in the field in which I want to start a career in.

Congrats dude, I hope it works out for you and you do become successful at it!

I guess I got lucky... never had to deal with this but I feel for you guys. Sucky sitiuation.

I got lucky enough to have a job lined up even before I graduated this spring.... but when you're the only person applying with english as your first language you have a heads up sometimes.

If you are good at what you do and like you're work you'll eventually get the job you deserve I think.

"Keep on Keepin' on" ~ Joe Dirt =P

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Three history majors wanting to teach in this little forum alone shows how crowded the market is.

What exactly is the major in guys?

The CIA does a shit ton of hiring of history majors. The majority of work they need is research, and they like having guys who know about the area. Just saying, if you haven't thought outside of the box yet, that is a real opportunity in itself.

StickyGreenGamer said:
Eyebrowsbv31 said:

The CIA does a s*** ton of hiring of history majors. The majority of work they need is research, and they like having guys who know about the area. Just saying, if you haven't thought outside of the box yet, that is a real opportunity in itself.

Lots of gov't agencies for that matter. Security being a big profession right now has alot of research needs as well.

Guernica said:
StickyGreenGamer said:
Eyebrowsbv31 said:

The CIA does a s*** ton of hiring of history majors. The majority of work they need is research, and they like having guys who know about the area. Just saying, if you haven't thought outside of the box yet, that is a real opportunity in itself.

Lots of gov't agencies for that matter. Security being a big profession right now has alot of research needs as well.

Yeah. I always wanted a law enforcement or military career, but because I was an idiot and picked up a felony at 18 that simply isn't going to happen. Border Patrol will hire though. But yeah, I'd recommend checking out quite a few government agencies. Many have openings in different kind of positions that most people wouldn't think of.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod