So I Lost My Job...

and I am no longer teaching sadly. For the past few days I have been hitting the pavement and applying to tons of jobs, with no success at all so far. No call-backs, some places even saying I am not qualified for the position I went for (like Toys R. Us...which made me giggle)

So yeah...who else is feeling the pain right now?

That sucks man. I feel your pain. I hope your not too put out by it. You should shop around your skills as a writer to some magazines/blogs/gaming sites *cough*. Most of my buddies who lost their jobs have reevaluated their life's direction and have chosen to pursue a career in their hobby. And they all make shit, but they all love it. Its good to see that you're not above working at Toys R' Us (which apparently you need a masters degree for an entry level position). Keep grinding (craigslist is your best friend). As a teacher, you should look overseas for american english teaching gigs.

If i were to lose my job now, i'd be forced to live at home - which would only lead me to a tiny amount of time before I was forced to blow myself away.

Way ahead of you on most of that, believe me.

And I have been shopping that around, although most of them have been saying i'm not qualified/not sending back anything.

It's annoying...

Sad to hear that. I know from experience how bad it feels and how it puts you down when the answer from everyplace is just no or total silence.

Now I'm in a good place, but they are planning on firing some people and I don't know how fire proof my ass is at the moment.

Good luck for the job hunting!

I feel for you, Links. Losing your job sucks. Just keep at it. Talk to everyone you know. It may be embarassing to say you don't have a job, but with everyone looking right now, most jobs are being filled by acquaintance/connections over skill set/education.

Bretimus_v2 said:
Talk to everyone you know. It may be embarassing to say you don't have a job
Seriously. Tell every fucking person you see that you're unemployed and you need a job. You never know when someone with know of something.

Good luck Links.

Well I work at UPS which is union, so it's pretty much impossible for me to lose my job.

Unless I like kill somebody or try to steal a parcel.

danielrbischoff said:
Bretimus_v2 said:
Talk to everyone you know. It may be embarassing to say you don't have a job
Seriously. Tell every f****** person you see that you're unemployed and you need a job. You never know when someone with know of something.

Good luck Links.
He's telling us. :p

Sorry about the job Link's, hope it works out.

Cheer up links. Hard times is coming ahead but everything is going to be alright. You'll see :D

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/careers/state.php?s=NY

Don't look down on it, pay and benefits are fantastic for full timers. As a history major like you, it's a better job than any teaching gig.

until the teachers unions release the death grip on the public school system, jobs in that field will be tough.

Oh I know...I applied to Trader Joes and Stop N Shop...no luck though.

Trader joes is full of assholes, I've applied there in the past, and after finishing the application they threw it away after I was done. fuck em.

PM me if you want to use my name as a reference for whole foods. Good company. Libertarian. :) Crazy owner. Etc.

lokness said:
I thought teaching was a pretty secure job. please explain why/how you lost your job.

Not in New York.

Basically, our mayor has been cutting back on workers and unions for years. This year alone 4% of the teaching workforce needs to be laid off because the schools have very little money now; so most new teachers and paras got the axe first, like me. I lost mine back before the semester began, early September.

This week another 400 teachers across NY were laid off. The union is basically fighting a losing battle; next year the mayor is saying because of cut-backs, another 7% will be let go...

It is shit down here, basically.

The entire educational field is messed up because of budget cuts.

I graduated with my Bachelors in History last year, am certified in the state of Texas in History and Social Studies, 8-12, and can't find a job. I've applied for roughly 50 teaching positions and have had one interview, I am substituting for a district right now and waiting tables.

I am 23, good test scores, an impressive internship under my belt, tons of letters of recommendation, but all said and done, that is it. I am applying against guys that have their Masters, 10-15 years of teaching experience, or district championships on their coaching record, and I really don't stand a chance in hell. Just the way it is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod