shane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icepick

Rookie
throughout the years here at GR, many have come and gone, but many of those who have been here for a lengthy amount of time can agree few have been as...potentially annoying as shane, consistantly causing arguments, consistantly bring drama to these boards

in no way am I making myself out to be a preist, but I don't consistantly cause the same magnitude of trouble here as shane does, nor do any others, after talking to a few members of the boards, I've come up with the idea of a petition for teh removal of shane, so please sign below if you agree that his removal would be for the best

Icepick

How can someone who's been banned before for his reputably bad behaviour here be allowed to stick around after returning as an even more annoying and abusive poster? Answers please.

Grey

Because the problems he causes are merely those to whom users like yourself lend negative attention to. Perhaps a Ban is a solution to this problem, but by ignoring him completely you can defeat what he wants. He wants to get your attention, he wants to take you off topic, he wants to make you mad and say profain things so he has an excuse to misbehave.

The best, and I mean it, the BEST solution is just to ignore the guy. If you pretend like he doesn't exist and anything he posts isn't there, you take away his power, he may become desparate, but in that instance if he behaves worse, then a ban can be considered. But by ignoring him, and I really mean EVERYONE ignoring him, perhaps he can conform to a decent poster like so MANY others have in the past.

The key is not to give him the attention which he craves.

Dark_Legacy said:
The best, and I mean it, the BEST solution is just to ignore the guy.

As nice as that sounds, there's no way that will happen. You can choose to ignore him, I can choose to ignore him. But not everyone will.

One of the biggest problems with Shane is that he opens the flood-gates of spamming. He's rarely restricted, and that sets a bad example for other posters. Look, Hellfire was finally becoming a decent poster, and Shane shows up again, and it's like an excuse for Hellfire to flake out.

There are others, too, that follow Shane's example and fuel the flames along side him. I don't want to name names or anything, but I don't think Frank for one will be upset if I say that Shane influences him - in a very different way than he influences other posters, but their fights still cause a disruption to the boards.

Anyway, i guess I'll just sumarize by signing my name on that ban petition.

used44 said:
Dark_Legacy said:

As nice as that sounds, there's no way that will happen. You can choose to ignore him, I can choose to ignore him. But not everyone will.

One of the biggest problems with Shane is that he opens the flood-gates of spamming. He's rarely restricted, and that sets a bad example for other posters. Look, Hellfire was finally becoming a decent poster, and Shane shows up again, and it's like an excuse for Hellfire to flake out.

There are others, too, that follow Shane's example and fuel the flames along side him. I don't want to name names or anything, but I don't think Frank for one will be upset if I say that Shane influences him - in a very different way than he influences other posters, but their fights still cause a disruption to the boards.

Anyway, i guess I'll just sumarize by signing my name on that ban petition.

I agree, and you are true he gets me going and it does cause more issues, but he;s teh source of the problem, like i've stated, I'm not a saint and I'll never claim to be

and DL, you can not ignore an ongoing problem for 4 years, he's the herpes of the board, you can't ignore an std, it just continues to get worse over time until you have no choice but to not ignore it

Oh, don't I know it, Grey. ;)... actually I don't think Icepick and I have ever really been on opposing sides of the fence on all of our combined years on here...

But my point still stands about Shane's influence.

Well the key in my plan is proper moderation. Which means the moderators actually have to patrol and step up their activities on the board. In a case where proper moderation is impossible, perhaps a Ban is in order-but-this should not be the first solution and should not be the only thing we try.

We here at Bolt-er-Game Revolution believe that brain washing children with video games is an important and intregral feature in our attempt to overthrow the worlds' governments, and Shane will not escape.

Icepick said:
but he;s teh source of the problem

Agreed.

And, dL, I love to give people a second chance, but doesn't apply to Shane. He's had his second chance, and third, and fourth...

First of all, everyone has herpes. It's a biological fact. Whether you get herpes affecting your genitillia is another case.

Second of all, source of what problem? As soon as we have power to moderate post count and Modertaors to eliminate said annoying posts there technically should not be a problem.

I am not ignoring anything, but you should not be ignorant to your own personal problems which you're trying to superimpose upon the boards' welfare. This issue will be considered and debated amongst moderators and GMs appropriately, but it will be taken in the best interests of the posters of this board and not based on personal opinion, whether opinions have been formed by four years of problems with a particular user.

The fact remains that a personal vendetta is still a personal vendetta and still a personal problem, on that note if you feel so strongly about shane I suggest you do everything within the rules absent of this discussion to deal with him and call on your maturity and a quality poster to deal with his childishness.

As for any threat or ill effect he may have on the boards, at this point it is poignant to point out that you have not present one that cannot be solved by my suggestion of ignorance of his existance and proper moderation.

As for your obvious disdain and personal conflicts with Shane, all I can suggest is to keep voicing your opinions and concerns. As per second chances, we're not a court of law, we're a collection of peers who have no right, though we possess the power to do so in some instances, to outright damn an individual for inappropriate behavior.

At the end of this I want to express again, shane wants to be cool, shane wants you to hate/like him, he wants your attention, if you cannot exhibit a degree of control over your own emotions and responses to his behavior over the internet you should probably re-evalutate your stance completely on being a party who is the rational one concerned with the welfare of our community.

The mods and GMs will continue our part of this, we assure you.

Dark_Legacy said:
As for any threat or ill effect he may have on the boards, at this point it is poignant to point out that you have not present one that cannot be solved by my suggestion of ignorance of his existance and proper moderation.

Sure we have. As i have stated, completely ignoring abcwtf isn't going to happen. There are posters who feel comfortable stooping to his level on a regular basis, at least while he's instigating it. Are we supposed to ignore all of these posts? Entire topics?

If more moderation is decided as the very best solution, let's hope that happens soon. Hell, I'm here often enough. I and others could help delete posts. Or dL and some other current mods could get some control over the Misc. Forum, because the current Misc. mods don't seem to be around often enough.

Anyway, thanks for helping, dark_Legacy.

="used44"]
Dark_Legacy said:
If more moderation is decided as the very best solution, let's hope that happens soon. Hell, I'm here often enough. I and others could help delete posts. Or dL and some other current mods could get some control over the Misc. Forum, because the current Misc. mods don't seem to be around often enough.

Anyway, thanks for helping, dark_Legacy.

Cough...

BoyAnachronism said:
I can't honestly see why it's so hard for some people just to ignore him honestly..... I'm sorry but I really don't understand what somebody like Hellfire feels he gains from flaming Shane, care to explain?

I can't say that I have any clue as to why Hellfire and others continue to feed off of Shane and be influenced by him, but as long as it is a reality, I don't think we should be asked to ignore every other post or even entire topics because of Shane.

And it's cool to know that your name is James. I'm totally calling you that from now on.

I don't want the negative attention, you guys wrap it in a multi-colored box and put it under the christmas tree for me.

What sparked this topic was icepick starting an argument with me in PYP, after Nes Man had asked me a question. Frank felt it was his place to disprove the truth, and in turn made a fool of himself.

I try to go on about my business here, like most others do. Sure, I spam. Everyone does. I just don't think it's a tad fair that I get the raw end of the deal with every post I make.

Frank, why don't you and me take this to PM or an instant message? GM is not the place to complain about me; this should be left to the mods.

used44 said:
Dark_Legacy said:

I can't honestly see why it's so hard for some people just to ignore him honestly. I'm far from being the best, most saintly poster here, frankly I kind of suck at this posting malarky, yet I've managed to ignore him for most of his time here, why can't everyone else? I'm sorry but I really don't understand what somebody like Hellfire feels he gains from flaming Shane, care to explain?

I've expressed my opinion enough on this subject recently, basically my opinion is identical to DL's(but he can argue his points much better than I can argue mine!). So I won't waste your time by expressing it again. I will say this though, if banning Shane will end this ridiculous charade I'm all for it. But didn't the GMs ban Shane before? And didn't he eventually just come back under a different alias? What says the same won't happen again?

I'll butt in aswell...

There are going to be people spamming with or without this individual. It's some sort of law of stupidity happening on every internet board, which we obviously must learn to accept. Can't ban them all, but I'm not against trying...

There are easy steps to cure this problem:
1. People: stop spamming. It's not fun for anyone else. Some witty remarks on the subject I can stand and sometimes laugh at, but posting pointless notes on every topic without any answers for the subject is simply stupid and annoying. Why do it?
2. Don't fight stupidity. It'll go nowhere. In this case we may have figured out that we can't reason our way into this individual, so just ignore it. You can give a big "hmpph!" by yourself and notify the GMs, but everything else will just be a waste of time.
3. Personal life is not a weapon of debate. Don't go there. On a debate, fight the issue, not the person. If you must debate about personal matters, go off the public forum.
(+/-1 for abcwtf for knowing this, though not going by it.)

believe it or not shane, this has nothing to do with our one sided argument involving seizure pills being an effective form of inerbriation after a single dose

this has to do with the fact you're a problem here, always have been and always will be, taking it to PM does absolutley nothing, you're the boards problems, not just mine, and that's why i'm bringing it to the attention of those in control of said forums

everyone here that says ignore it has had a life span here of under 2 years, it doesn't work, believe me and grey, no body, absolutely nobody gets the kind of heat shane does without warranting it, theres always someone to defend a poster being picked on, but in this case shane looks for it, and rightfully deserves it

*ahem* I have been around for six years, and I am more than familiar with him and his generations of posters on GR. Also, just because people may not have the experience with Shane you do-or the boards as an object do-does not invalidate their opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod