Nick's Top Ten Wrestling games

used44

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I'm really, really glad when you guys do non-review features. And this latest one is a really good example of how interesting these features can be. There's always a lot of love and passion for whatever gaming topic is being presented.

But, I do have a few issues (of course). First, there's still no commenting on features, which takes away the much -needed community response that makes these lists more interesting (the Best Under-selling games list in the Manifesto [which does have a comments section] for example). Being able to comment on features, and maybe even previews and reviews, would make the front-end of this site much better. Sure, we can take the discussion to the forums, but the staff rarely join us here, so it's not quite as personal as a comments section would be.

Second, we all (Nick, famously; bitchingly) know that the Digg community loves these lists, and this is a very good one. So there should be some easy link to digg the article. This could potentially drive lots of traffic to your site. If there's already a digg button and I'm mssing it, please correct me.

Third, and this is a minor one, screenshots are more entertaing than boxart. In many cases, I couldn't recall the game as easily by the art as I could have by a screen or two.

Anyway, there are my thoughts. Thanks for giving love to No Mercy and Wrestlemania, and FPW Returns!

I also enjoyed the list, as I've played every Smackdown game and loved every one.

Although I am partial to Smackdown 3: Just Bring It! My created wrestler on my friends console, Oni, was a Super Heavyweight who focused on power attacks and the choke toss.

Anyways, my friend brought the game, the PS2 and the multitap to school and set it to Royal Rumble so he and his friends could play it in class. In the middle of the Royal Rumble, two of the kids get knocked out by an AI controlled character. Next thing you know, everyone has been knocked out by this wrestler. Turns out it was Oni, who ended up winning the Royal Rumble.

I am surprised WWF Attitude wasn't on the list :(, but nothing is perfect. I especially liked the oddball choices, like Def Jam and Temco's Wrestling, it was definitly nice to see something no one would consider on there.

I hope you do more articles like this, not a top ten per-se, but just some nostalgic memories of good games and stuff that is not a review.

Just recently I was playing No Mercy with a friend. That was an amazing game at the time and it still has basically the same set up as most of the Smackdown series.

The site of WWF Raw definitely had me nostalgic about the sega genesis days. I remember when that game first came out and everyone was blown away by the graphics, now I look at it and can barely tell when anything is. 30 man royal rumbles were the shit though, for sure.

LinksOcarina said:
I am surprised WWF Attitude wasn't on the list :(, but nothing is perfect. I especially liked the oddball choices, like Def Jam and Temco's Wrestling, it was definitly nice to see something no one would consider on there.

I hope you do more articles like this, not a top ten per-se, but just some nostalgic memories of good games and stuff that is not a review.

WWF Attitude was within my Top 15. I just had to make that editorial decision.

And I'm actually in the process of writing an editorial. It's been slow-going since it's a large topic and it's too important to me to rush. But if I'm not lazy, you will see it soon.

WWF Attitude? Isn't that the one made by Acclaim? With the same fighting engine found in the ECW dreamcast game? and later Backyard Wrestling??! Triple BLEH .. get it, triple h? ahh never mind.

But ya, i'd rather play WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game.. even the orignal WWF arcade games were better than that Acclaim crap (WWF Superstars and WWF WrestleFest - mame them today).

B)
but nothing beats the Aki games, nothing

could someone also post a link to said topic?
found it
http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/ ... ling-games
cool, you had WrestleFest. ah, but no Saturday Night Slam Masters.. sure, it's more Street Fighter II than wrestling but it has to be better than one of those two Smackdown! titles, a series which has only recently become worthy of its long time praise imo. 8)

and thank you for not posting Pro Wrestling, a choice that's just too obvious and pandering.
edit:
props on the search utility, GR. no muss, no fuss
3 Smackdown! titles, wtf?! But glad you mentioned Acclaim's RAW.

SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM!!! OH-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

flo-wrestler.jpg

Where's the WWF Royal Rumble game that game out for the SNES and Genesis? Nonsense!

Man. Wrestling became so gay once I hit 12. I used to love it though - Especially seeing the Ultimate Warrior come out. I see pictures now though and just think about how 80s hair band white trash he looked back then.

World Tour was great on the 64. Mostly for the sweet sound effect when a guy would get hit with a chair and start bleeding. *scrunch*

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle