Why allow member reveiws?

Seriously: Have you ever read any? I've even seen reviews that give the game an A+ which start off with "I haven't played the game, but it looks REALLY good!".

Moderating these reviews would be impossible, so I'd be an idiot to suggest that. However I dont really see them adding anything to the site except for eating up bandwidth. I'm not what you call an active member of this community, so perhaps there's a Game-Review niche community here that I haven't noticed, but apart from that: I dont think many people would actually read the reviews.

I mean, there's a reason why you guys are paid to write reviews and the others are not.

It's not a big deal, it's just something that I've never understood.

I think the number of quality member reviews vastly outweighs the number of bogus ones.. I think.
I'm pretty sure there's a feature where you can rate a user's review, so if you see a bogus review, give it a poor rating.

Hammer_Floyd said:
Seriously: Have you ever read any? I've even seen reviews that give the game an A+ which start off with "I haven't played the game, but it looks REALLY good!".

Moderating these reviews would be impossible, so I'd be an idiot to suggest that. However I dont really see them adding anything to the site except for eating up bandwidth. I'm not what you call an active member of this community, so perhaps there's a Game-Review niche community here that I haven't noticed, but apart from that: I dont think many people would actually read the reviews.

I mean, there's a reason why you guys are paid to write reviews and the others are not.

It's not a big deal, it's just something that I've never understood.

I'm pretty sure some gamers review just to vent on how bad a game is, or just for the option of reviewing.

I've never understood it ether, but I'm not one to complain.

I enjoy writing reviews, and when I write them I try to do it as unbiased as possible. The only exception would probably be Ocarina of time, my first review, and the only game I truely believe is an A+.

I read the reviews, and most of them are crap, but some people, Jayers, JCD, Tyrranis, Hawk-One, matdevlug and a slew of others have written great ones, ones worth reading. Are we all perfect, by all means no, but we at least try to give credence to the reviews we write.

That said, I think filtering reviews would be a good idea, like weeding out good and bad ones or something, maybe a "reccomended counter reviews" section or something, like Rotten Tomatoes cream of the crop, only user friendly and not as biased.

In regards to venting about the game: That's why I thought this place had a message board so people can worship\shit on a game as much as they want. Also since threads on a game allow other people to respond to the critique of the game: The forum does the same job, but with higher interaction amongst its members.

Still, they are easy enough to ignore. It's just that they're a popular feature on gaming websites and I haven't quite known why. At the risk of sounding like an elitist bastard: I dont really care what you think of the game and if I did; I'd go to your site. Which probably doesn't exist because you tipe leik thsi.

LinksOcarina said:
I read the reviews, and most of them are crap, but some people, Jayers, JCD, Tyrranis, Hawk-One, matdevlug and a slew of others have written great ones, ones worth reading.

Thanks for the props LinksOcarina. I appreciate it.

For the most part, I write reviews to guide the hand of the reader as to which games are worth buying/leaving, sometimes as Game Revolution didn't review the game themselves. (such as my Serious Sam 2 and Ace Combat: Squadron Leader reviews).

On the other hand, sometimes around here it gets really dull so I just piece together something witty that expresses my opinion on a game and stick it up here.

Tyrranis said:
Thanks for the props LinksOcarina. I appreciate it.

Me too. Thanks.

Anyway, I write reviews to try help people decide if a game is worth buying or not. If no-one reads them, fine, but if I can help just one person, thats cool.

certainly there are some retarded reviews on the site, but some of the member reviews are actually really good. i think it's definately worth it on the whole.

People actually notice the crap I put up? :p

Seriously, being able to write my own reviews is one of the reasons I'm staying on this site. And I repay that opprtunity by making a real attempt. And remembering some simple rules, such as using paragraphs, and reading my review over a couple of times to get rid of the worst spelling and grammar errors. And thankfully, there are other people doing the same (and better than I do it, no doubt). After a while, you get to learn which ones to just ignore, and which ones to take a closer look at.

And for the people not used to writing at all, here's a little tip to get your thoughts more organised: Ask yourself "what does this game do? Is that a good thing? Why or why not?" Use these questions for the different aspects of the game (graphics, gameplay, music, controls, plot, other stuff), then write down your own answers. Shine it a bit up, and you're good to go.

Of course, I don't really work like that, but I have some experience writing professionally (on a freelance basis), and am confident in that I manage to convey the message of what I think about Game X (though I certainly admit I don't always succeed). Once you get some experience yourself, you too can start experimenting a bit. Just never forget that you are supposed to give a message in a clear manner. I'd also say concise, but that is one thing I usually always fail on, because I have so much to say.

There are some really well written reviews on this site from the members section, you just have to dig for them. When you let everyone have a chance to write, you obviously are going to get some badly written ones, but in the end you will get some good ones.

Dammit, this topic has inspired me to write a review. I'm tired of holding my literary talent back from the kind folk at GR. Now which game to review first...

I write reviews, partly to amuse myself, but also to give good games some credit. I think I fairly talk about them and tell the people if they are worth playing.

Personally, I know I've done a good job if I write a review with an opinion that happens to differ quite some from the majority of the other reviewers, and still people give me a 5-star thumb up for doing it.

Not that I encourage people to write deviantly just for the sake of doing it. But sometimes you are going to dislike a game "everyone" else likes, and if you can convey that opinion without being attacked, and even get some praise for it... that's when you know you are capable of writing a review. :)

I believe it is much more important to give a clear, accurate description of the game. It is not a reviewers job to appease his readers, but to be honest about the game. A reviewer shouldn't "beat around the bush." You should never try to appeal to what is expected by the readers, this only causes confusion.

Also, I just looked through my reviews and realized they were all crap. I shall try to write better ones in future.

Well, if anyone wants me to write a short comment on ONE of their reviews, I would be glad to. But be warned. I'm not going to be easy in the slightest.

maca2kx said:
Speaking of reviews, hows about someone gives me some ratings and comments?!

Sam

Hope you take a look at the short critique I gave for your Viva Pinata review. Good job, by the way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle