Ads / Pop-ups

Daddio

Regular
Can I ask when and why ads became so horrid on GR? As a long time user of the site (and quite literally my only real source for trusted reviews since I was in high school) it's honestly starting to kill coming here.

I go from "I wonder what's new in the gaming world" to "why do I keep coming back here?" and it's a shitty feeling after so many years.

While I understand ads and pop-ups come with the territory of maintaining most websites, these ones are now rather invasive and at times loud. The page itself readjusts several times while I'm scrolling ... this is continued throughout page clicks and navigating the site.

I don't want to come off as some kind of internet whiner but I do also want it known as to why I'm close to removing Game Revolutions from my bookmark.

I already opened a thread about this and the answer was to email the GR staff like they don't actually visit the site.

This is THE ONLY SITE ON THE INTERNET that still kills my browser WITH, I REPEAT, WITH AN AD BLOCKER. It's fucking INSANE!

Yeah, emailing the staff is the best bet. Particularly Jonathan Leack, since he's in charge now. They don't check the forums reliably, so it's best to send an email to:
[email protected]
If everyone sends him an email, it's probably the best bet.

Also, let him know to update the staff page.

Hey everyone.

First, I want to say sorry if your user experience has been impacted in a negative way. We absolutely don't want that. I take this very seriously, especially since I personally browse GameRevolution on a daily basis, as well as some family and friends.

We greatly appreciate all your support, and for expressing your concerns in a helpful manner.

If you have any other concerns or requests, don't hestitate to shoot me an e-mail at [email protected].

Sorry to bump up a thread slightly old, but has the ad problem even been looked into? Now I get ads that take up a good portion of the screen and there's no way to click off of it other than refresh the page and pray that it doesn't come up again.

Jonathan_Leack said:
We've already pushed through some changes. Much more is coming soon.

Hopefully that Lexus ad is one of the ones to go. It's fine until you accidentally hover over it and it takes up your screen with no close button until the ad is finished.

The site just sucks period. This is the ONLY site I regularly go to that spikes my CPU to max and causes massive slowdown. Typing a comment on an article takes forever as the words have to catch up with my typing like I'm viewing this site on a computer from the 90's. I surf sites with MORE ads that run better. It's abysmal programming and years of dirty code. This entire site needs to be remade from the ground up.

I now only come here at the end of the day because it's frustrating trying to deal with the ads and massive slowdown.

This has really gotten out of control. I literally can't even use this fucking website anymore. Like what's the point? Ads are everywhere, stuff takes forever to load. It's like I'm on AOL dialup. They ruined this site. It's ridiculous how bad these ads have gotten. They cover half the pictures, half the article, and half the page. Just to read an article that was copy and pasted from some other gaming website.

JunkyArd said:
Lol, but it shouldn't have to take that extreme to make it better.

Changes are coming. Sorry if any of you have been disappointed by the user experience. It takes some work to make changes but they are on the way, and will be noticeable.

So I get the frustration with the ads but I really think we should put it in perspective. Yes, they(the ads remember, not GR) suck. A lot. Yes, they need to be changed. However, sitting here shitting on the site, talking about how horrible it is when Jonathan is doing what he can while trying to maintain revenue likely isn't going to earn us any favours. It's the nature of the beast and being the beast is Crave I'm sure it's a hungry one. Also, there really hasn't been any active editor seeking feedback in who knows how long. Jonathan is coming in with a plethora of complaints that have been building up and as far as I can tell he's the first to actually address concerns.

Lethean said:
So I get the frustration with the ads but I really think we should put it in perspective. Yes, they(the ads remember, not GR) suck. A lot. Yes, they need to be changed. However, sitting here shitting on the site, talking about how horrible it is when Jonathan is doing what he can while trying to maintain revenue likely isn't going to earn us any favours. It's the nature of the beast and being the beast is Crave I'm sure it's a hungry one. Also, there really hasn't been any active editor seeking feedback in who knows how long. Jonathan is coming in with a plethora of complaints that have been building up and as far as I can tell he's the first to actually address concerns.

Understandable, but I can also stand some may not have the patience any longer since this problem has been happening for quite a long time. All we can do is wait, but I don't know how much longer everyone else can.

wildmario said:
Lethean said:

Understandable, but I can also stand some may not have the patience any longer since this problem has been happening for quite a long time. All we can do is wait, but I don't know how much longer everyone else can.

White knighting a website that wants user traffic isn't going to help. This has been going on for YEARS not just days or weeks. The ads have always been unbearable and for the last 6 months they have completely taken over the website.

Remember, out of ALL THE FUCKING WEBSITES ON THE INTERNET I visit this is THE WORST in terms of not just ads but poor coding and outdating everything. I understand there's a small staff, but if you want people coming back and WANT THAT REVENUE you need to fix it.

GR has been downhill since GR Beta back in 2004/2005. That's over TEN FUCKING YEARS. GR Beta was well over AN ENTIRE YEAR. It's the only website I see that is like this on the entire web. I love GR and that's the only reason why I keep coming back.

I don't want to say anything negative because I love GameRevolution, but now when I come to GR, the first thing that happens is that I am forced to watch a video/trailer of a film that goes full screen.

It can be closed in a matter of seconds... but it just surprised me. :/ I hope these issues are resolved soon.

Only GR would find a solution in keeping the forums alive by making the front pages and every post completely intolerable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod