SFIV.... why the hype again?

Dang! i really need to get my hands on this for the Xbox 360...sorry sony fans i don't have the PS3

My friends and I have spent the last two weekends trying out SFIV. The only character we are missing is the final boss, we have most of the color and taunt unlocks. We all enjoy the game, and are glad the new costume pack finally gave Crimson Viper cleavage instead of the disturbing uni-boob.

We have noticed the fact that the game box tells you the online experience: all that is out there are Ryus and Kens.

However in house, the dominant character is Zangief. We have dubbed his powerbomb move "The Zangief Kill Screen". If you fight a good Zangief player, you'll know why.

For my play style, I have enjoyed the charge characters (M. Bison and Balrog).

Zangief is in the top tier, in terms of the list that came out a week ago (Yes, there is a list already.)

I am sort of surprised no one has mentioned Mortal Kombat in this debate. As awesome as Street Fighter 2 is, Mortal Kombat 2 is perhaps just as prestigious, and really, really, fun to play.

Soul Calibur is still good, but it hasn't changed since 2, which is really a problem if you ask me. It's still as fucking deep and complex as ever, though, for what it's worth.

DOA....eh.

And I never liked Tekken, to be honest. Tag was ok, because it was cool to have two instead of one in terms of characters, but frankly, most of Tekken is crap in my opinion, a poor man's Street Fighter that is popular enough to keep going, where as some real good gems out there (Power Stone, Killer Instinct, Rival Schools) have fallen by the wayside.

MK's kind of a touchy subject. When it was 2D it really held its own against SF and I still think UMK3 is one of the best 2D fighters out there, but after it went into 3D it just fell to shit and kept getting worse and worse. At least when the SF brand tried 3D a few years ago with the EX series it did a fairly decent job of it and even when Capcom went back to their roots and gave us the SF3 series, it again just got better and better and by taking what they'd learned from past experiences (something Midway never seemed to grasp with MK) they gave us SFIV which SF fandom bias aside, I honestly think is one of the best fighting games I've ever played. Tekken, I used to love it, but Tekken 5 felt a bit dull, Tag was dreamy, 4 was good, 5 I didn't care much for and 6... I probably won't bother with.

Dammit Links why'd you have to mention Power Stone? I miss that short lived series so much, if only Capcom would give us a third installment. :(

Well, Armageddon was a lot of fun, as far as MK goes, but it is a far cry from what the series was. Still good enough to keep going, though, I would say.

3-D fighters are not too good, really. Only Soul Calibur I would say has done a good 3-D fighter.

LinksOcarina said:
Zangief is in the top tier, in terms of the list that came out a week ago (Yes, there is a list already.)

Capcom released their own Tier list. At the top was Sagat in the S Tier (that's right, Sagat has his own Tier). Followed by Ryu and Zangief. A lot of lists put Guile towards the bottom due to the difficulty of his Super and Ultra. Vega is almost always on the bottom due to the fact that he is weak (both in dealing and taking damage) and as I said in the character battle, he deals 25% less damage without his claw, and takes 25% more damage without his mask.

When he sheds his mask, the first attack he does after gets a 25% damage bonus, but that's not enough to make up for the fact that nearly every fierce hit will knock away his claw/mask. The only thing Vega really has going for him is his speed and deception. Some of his jump moves have similar start ups, so you can never be too sure what he's going to do, but then again there are quite a few easy ways to just wing it and still hit him. I just had an epic Gouken (Me) Vs Vega (friend) match and he really knows how to make good use of Vega. :)

Grey said:
MK's kind of a touchy subject. When it was 2D it really held its own against SF and I still think UMK3 is one of the best 2D fighters out there, but after it went into 3D it just fell to s*** and kept getting worse and worse.
Yeah I totally agree with that. I got really into MK2 and followed the story and stuff. I also liked MK3 and the other versions of MK3 but once they made the jump to 3-D the series began to sink instead of soar.

I don't know, call me old fashioned if you must but I just don't like 3-D fighting games. They just don't feel right to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod