SFIV.... why the hype again?

Solaris10

Rookie
I wanna understand why the hell is this game hyped so much?

I played the HD remix and I managed to like it (after many hours of training and getting my ass kicked so hard) but I can't seem to understand the hype and awesome scores this game have.

-The gameplay is ok, moves normally easy enough to pull off (if you have an arcade stick). But otherwise, might be tough.

-The visuals are actually really nice. I think it keep the original art direction.

-The music is HORRIBLE. Though the characters theme rocks, you cannot play on those songs from what I heard. The stages song are just plain bad (except volcano).

-There is a good online mode support. Being able to be match with someone of your skill is awesome (compared to HD remix).

....That's it.

Still...why the hell would I shell out 60 bucks for a game I can play for 15$ (yes, HD remix and almost the same things for me).

I might be missing something and I wanna understand..... is there a reason that game is so hyped and deserves so many praise?

Because for most people, Street Fighter was the first fighting game they ever played, so they have an attachment to it.

That is actually half the reason I bought it. But I'd love the game even if I wasn't. I LOVE the soundtraack, it's old school cheese mixed with electronica. How can you not love the main theme?!

also, it's a bit different from a normal fighting game. You cant just pick up a controller and start fighting, you have to learn the moves of the character etc. It's also technical for each character. EG - stay the fuck away from Zangief, and constantly jump against Dhalsim to dodge his arms!

It's stuff like that which is what makes it a really clever game. I'm SO shit at it, but I feel like I'm improving a little, and that makes me happy :D

I bought it because I like the game. Thats me though. It has always been a fighting game that I enjoyed, now I can enjoy it more at home, with friends online as well.

I guess I like it, but I have to relearn the timings while fighting all the characters. I miss having multiple super combos, and the speed seems a little sluggish(because of the ultra smooth animations).

I'm getting mauled by characters that I used to smash into the dirt on the other games.

Longo_2_guns said:
Because it's fucking Street Fighter.
fix'd

Seriously, Street Fighter is THE fighting game. It was so popular they remade SF2 five friggin times and kids still bought it. It was so popular I loved the movie when I saw it in theaters as a kid.... yeah... that's how big it was! We didn't give a shit how crappy the movie was. It was all our favourite SF characters in Live Action.

I'd love to play this but I'm going to wait for Infinite Super Street Fighter 4 Turbo Blu-ray Utopia Edition.

Nostalgia has a way of improving the experience for most players, the memories coupled with the oldschool... everything, makes it far more awsome than it actually is. Make the same game without the familiar stereotype cheesy characters and music and you won't get any hype at all.

With that said, SFIV is awsome! :roll:

My buddy burned a Capcom 5 in 1 disc with SF2 (all versions) Street Fighter Aplha, Street Fighter 3 and Marvel VC Capcom 1 & 2.

We popped it into his modded PS2 and of course all we played was SF2, lol.

Solaris10 said:
I might be missing something and I wanna understand..... is there a reason that game is so hyped and deserves so many praise?

If you honestly think they're the same thing, you can't have played SFIV for more than 10 minutes, if that. The comparison you made is like saying, "Why play Tekken 6 when I can play Tekken 2?" First off, all the old characters have improved move lists, even Guile, who's move list NEVER changed in the series (apart from getting some Super combos in EX+@ and the Alpha series) has had his move list altered and given more to do, plus he's been tweaked to be slightly faster. All the old characters have been rebalanced a bit more, as with each versions release so the tier gaps are much less wide, unlike in SFII days when it was basically pick a Shoto to win. (LOL at the morons who still think this applies and always pick Ken for online mode, then get raped)

Then there are the EX moves, implemented in SF3. Now there's the focus attack, which helps with reversing quick spars, the revenge gauge for turning the tide of battles and making a guaranteed loss into a once again even playing field. And oh did I mention being able to cancel out of combos, supers, or just plain special moves to confuse your opponent and sucker punch/kick them linking into another combo. Switching up attacks with these techniques make for much more interesting fights than were possible in SFHD. HD was just SSFIIT with a new lick of paint, so all the old bugs and balance issues are still there.

Let's move onto the obvious one, more characters. IV brings in some favourites from the Alpha series and four entirely new characters, which aren't just clones of existing characters that have disappeared. They still need balancing a bit, but updates will sort that out. (Abel is made of Win, Viper is a delicate little flower)

Final point, the only thing in your list that you appeared to have problem with was the music. Well, change it. IV supports custom play lists. Problem solved.

Oh and because its fucking Street Fighter IV.

I always was a sore loser when it comes to fighting games. I can bear getting beaten for 6 matches in a row but more than that..it pisses much off.

Grey, you totally made me understood why people might praise this game and I guess I'll give this game a shot.

It's just...60 bucks for a game is frigging expansive these days and I wondered why everyone consider this the holy grail of fighting game....

Huummppfff...I guess I' wont bring this one to my library (I gave up tekken and soul calibur too).

TheZoomZoomKid said:
I never got into Street Fighter because every time I played it it was against veterans and I always got my ass kicked.

That happened to me a couple times. But the 20-somethings at the arcades who kicked my ass at SF2 always gave me a mercy round.

There was a time in my life when all I would play was Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES. It probably was the first fighting game I had played, and it's really the only one I actually enjoy.

Now, the only reason I haven't bought SFIV is because I would only buy it on the PS3, which as you know, I'm too busy playing other awesomus maximus games on.

De-Ting said:
There was a time in my life when all I would play was Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES. It probably was the first fighting game I had played, and it's really the only one I actually enjoy.

Now, the only reason I haven't bought SFIV is because I would only buy it on the PS3, which as you know, I'm too busy playing other awesomus maximus games on.

Well, as one old school SF player to another...you probably aren't missing much. They REALLY returned to the basics. So if you sharpened your fangs on Alpha 3, prepare for a letdown.

I once beat Genesis Champion Edition on 8 stars without losing a round. And I got a neat picture of Ryu or something as a reward. Weeeeeeeeee

Solaris10 said:
It's just...60 bucks for a game is frigging expansive these days and I wondered why everyone consider this the holy grail of fighting game....

Shop around. :) I noticed vast differences in pricing of SFIV when I went out to collect it on Friday. Eventually I found a place that was selling it for £30. Which isn't bad for a new release on the 360.

Where are all the hate posts? Should't you guys be spaming him telling him what a gay noob he is?
But honestly, i dont realy like fighters but i do reckognize the praise this game gets.

Got it for €45, great price. But the game? I hate it so far. Not sure why. Will investigate. Post results later.

Stay safe.

The one thing, and only thing that's REALLY bugging me is the fact that you have to pay for alt costumes. :/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod