NFS: Shift disappointment

reed1285

Rookie
please tell me im not the only one out there that has played this game and thinks it sucks? They went too far into the gran turismo style simulation type playing in my opinion. I waited for this game to come out with enthusiasm, only to quit playing it after a couple hrs. Granted the tracks are nice and there is a huge selection. I guess im just old school and still like the other style need for speed games better. Other opinions?

^ What about Dead Space?

I haven't played NFS Shift but from what I've read it's an actual racing simulation as opposed to an arcade(ish)-style racer. That makes me sad because I really liked the old ones (well at least up to Carbon) but oh well, I guess the little NFS game is growing up.

Shame to hear it sucks, I was considering it. Does it suck because you played the older ones? Or does it suck no matter if you've played any NFS or not?

i went and traded it in today for heroes over europe, which is suprisingly a good game, for a ww2 aircraft fighting game. but yeah shift in my opinion was a waste of time, unless you like sim style racing. the controls are kinda weird for a racing game as well. i couldnt get used to it, for instance i kept trying to use square as the brake, which is what i was accustomed to in need for speed games, but in shift it changes the camera view on the car. so i would try to brake going into corners and hit square and i would all of a sudden have a hood view of the car and go veering into the wall.

I take my sim racing in the form of Forza. I would occassionally play NFS for arcade; shame to see it try to be something it's not.

i was hating it till i did the invitational race with 12 bugatti veyrons, one of the most amazing racing game experiences ive ever had

i think NFS:Shift is an amazing game. the cockpit view is ridiculous, and is hands down the best racing experience i've ever had. the sound is incredible, the feel of speed is unbelievable.

if they spent a little more time doing some tweaking it would be one of the best racing games of all time.

once again the cockpit view is INSANE... i normally play third person but u HAVE to play in the cockpit view, it makes the game 5x as fun.

my only BIG gripes are some of the cars control like their tires are bald while driving on ice. it's literally impossible to handle, but some are perfect.

a slight lack of cars and drifting is just dumb.. not well thought out at all.

but the experience in the cockpit and the sound alone make it worth a rent at least.. i wouldn't suggest purchase with forza 3 around the corner though. give it a shot though.

people mainly don't like it because they find the cars too hard to control, but they're not that bad.

I want a racing game that doesn't have "realistic handling" and all that shit. I miss my old schoolSNES racers and Need For Speed V-Rally. Man that one was fun. For a while it seemed every "arcade" racer was about drifting and now it's all about realistic handling.

I haven't played it yet (damn Gamefly) but it seems that most people don't realize their complaints when it comes to the driving style of the game can be fixed. Gamefaqs has a million posts about how to customize the driving feel of the car for the kind of gameplay you are looking for. From what I can tell, NFS: Shift just did a bad job at making people realize that they had to pick and choose what they wanted instead of just using the standard options.

granted, the cockpit view is the nicest of all the racing games i have played, like another member stated. and when i went to my first drifting event i was expecting the drifting controls and characteristics of past NFS games (NFS 2, carbon...etc) but the drifting in shift was hard, i kept racing the same event over and over just to try to get the drifting down, needless to say i didnt

honestly, after playing it some more.. if you have a good sound system, this game is totally worth it to at least try. the experience in the cockpit like i've already stated is unreal... the sound, the visuals, focking amazing, gives me goose bumps, gets me going. it's definitely not a strong overall game (which is unfortunate because it really could be if they had spent a little more time polishing it)...

buuut, it's definitely worth it for the experience.

once you get to tier 3, it's like woah..again.. the sound, omfg, the sound. get your surround sound going and your base pumping and you will LOVE it.

just pick a good handling car

edit: i probably wouldn't like the game without good sound, to be honest. it is probably hands down the best sound i have ever heard in a video game.

Meh, EA has a big record of pushing games out of the door before the devs can polish it.
I guess i just get a little pissed seeing a bunch of great talents go to waste because their corporate overlord sees the market as nothing but a cash cow. :?

Tykk said:
Meh, EA has a big record of pushing games out of the door before the devs can polish it.
I guess i just get a little pissed seeing a bunch of great talents go to waste because their corporate overlord sees the market as nothing but a cash cow. :?

that is definitely what this game was

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle