Disappointing boss fights... Spoiler Warning

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Have you guys played a game where the game was really awesome, it was a lot of fun, was just epic in general etc... and then suddenly, the finale of the game, the final boss fight is just... well, crap?

The best example I can think of from the top of my head is Starfox Adventures. Possible spoilers:

When that game first came out, I loved it, I think I was fourteen years old at the time too. The graphics were insane for its time, it was a lot of fun to play and as the title suggests it really was an adventure. Granted it was almost a pure rip off of The Legend of Zelda, but it was still great. I remember getting to the end of the game and about to fight the main villain, General Scales.

I remember he doesn't do anything. He walks up to you and just stands there. The same music that plays with every fight begins to play and nothing actually happens. As soon as you make the first attack, a cut scene triggers that basically stops the fight and allows Fox to escape.

Then you come to the true boss fight of the game... fighting Andross, in the exact same style of combat you normally fight him in the previous Starfox games. E.g. in an Arwing in space, only able to move up, down, left right etc, no forward or back. To me, the boss fight felt very anti-climatic and disappointing, it was difficult on a frustrating level and it unfortunately left the game with a very sour taste for me.

How about you guys?

Every single boss in the Arkham games.

Oh, so all I have to do is spam the latest gadget at them and dodge slow, simple, uncreative attacks? Oh. That's boring.
And then there was the Mr. Freeze fight, which started out absolutely fantastic. You actually have to think and plan and then... they just tell you how to beat him. Oh gee, that took all the tension out of the fight in a flash.

Twilight Princess. Every boss was pretty easy, but Ganondorf takes the cake. Oh, so it's not the guy who was led up to be the villain the whole first half, and instead is an incredibly simple encounter that can be won with the fishing line? Oh...

Every boss in Far Cry 3. Everything is tense, you don't know what is going to happen, and then QUICK TIME EVENT KNIFE FIGHT! Oh man, I can just feel the tension of the game MELT AWAY!

I'll think of more later.

Man, nice examples Longo.

I hated every single boss fight of Batman: Arkham Asylum. With Arkham City, I felt they were a huge improvement, but I do agree about the Mr. Freeze fight. Fighting Freeze in New Game+ mode though is quite challenging.

Gandondorf in Twilight Princess was very disappointing. I enjoyed the first stage and second stage fight, but when you take him on for the third bout (the one on one sword duel) it's just not that great.

The Far Cry 3 fights were terrible too. You're right again, those "fights" completely removed the tension and just became frustrating.

Oh, shit how the hell could I forget. Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Oh, my, GOD those fights sucked. I'm looking forward to the Director's Cut of that game... just to see how the boss fights have been reworked.

To me, the problem with DX: HR bosses have no character. Like in the original Deus Ex, you at least knew why Gunther and Anna Navarra wanted you dead. More so with Gunther and all but one or two are skippable (never have hid your 'kill-phase' in an e-mail).

I agree with the Batman games though especially Croc's fight if you could call it that.

168893_v1.gif

Sigh... I know, everyone said deus ex already. It's a fun game, really! Just... you know... the boss fights? no so much...

Hmm...

In terms of modern games...I would have to say the boos fight with Kai Leng in Mass Effect 3. It had a lot of buildup to it, but the fight itself was rather easy, even on insanity.

The payoff at the end though was well worth it.

Demon's Souls.

I mean, seriously? How unoriginal can you get with a boss fight as some of the ones in that game? And where the fuck is the challenge?!

I'll agree in terms of Storm King and Dragon God. Dragon God especially.

It's the big monster from the trailer, that is on the cover of the disk, and the fight itself? Run to the right to shoot it with a harpoon. Run to the left to shoot it with a harpoon. Punch it in the face a few times.

I'm just going to come out and say I don't put that much stock in boss fights because its usually a 5 min portion of an hours long game.

Boss fights are definitely necessary in a lot of games, though, because they both test your abilities as well as serve as a point of climax for the story.

Which is why bad boss fights are usually really detrimental to the game.

Skyrim. Last boss was a complete pushover. Even more so if you took the time to craft yourself a nice weapon and set of armor. A let down to say the least.

Oh yeah! All three FEAR titles did that too me. They all had this great build up to a good finale and it was ruined by the end game! FEAR 2 is the worst offender in this series with the WTF/LAME ending.

Bretimus_v2 said:
I'm just going to come out and say I don't put that much stock in boss fights because its usually a 5 min portion of an hours long game.

A good boss fight can make the game better.

Resident Evil 4 comes to mind as an example, it had some really good boss battles there, and it did elevate the game in some regards.

SolidSevchinko78 said:
Oh yeah! All three FEAR titles did that too me. They all had this great build up to a good finale and it was ruined by the end game! FEAR 2 is the worst offender in this series with the WTF/LAME ending.

Spoiler 2nd game.
SHE RAPES YOU AT THE END!

I think its at least the most traumatizing ending.

Sourdeez said:
SolidSevchinko78 said:

Spoiler 2nd game.
SHE RAPES YOU AT THE END!

I think its at least the most traumatizing ending.

I have Fear 3, never really played Fear 2 and played Fear so long ago I don't remember it really. Is it the same protagonist throughout the whole series? I know 2 takes place before the end of the 1st one so I'm guessing not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo