Upgrading Consoles

I come to you, oh masters of Game Revolution, to ask a question: which console should I buy, Xbox 360 or PS3? Now I'm not going to just leave it there, I will explain my situation so you can know a little more about my gaming situation.

I love racing games, especially the Gran Turismo series. I read the Prologue review and instantly knew that I needed to have this game. So this would lead me to buy a PS3, yes? I would be all for this, but there just doesn't seem to be enough other games to make spending that much money worth it. It seems that if I were to go the PS3 route, I would be missing out on many great games that have come out and that will come out in the future. So I should buy an Xbox 360 to get all of those great games of the past, present, and future, but what about Gran Turismo? I really want this game, but is it worth buying a whole console for? If I do buy a new console, I will only be getting one so this decision will be it for years to come. What do I do? You guys play lots of games and have lots of experience with these machines so help a brother out. Maybe the best decision would be to not buy anything and focus on life. What would you guys do if you were me? Please ask me questions if it will help you lead me in the right direction.

Forza Motorsport 2 for the 360 is one of the best racing games I've played in my life. It's the Xbox equivalent of GT. By going the Xbox route, you'll miss out on Prologue, however, you won't be completely devoid of a fantastic racing sim.

strangely, I would go PS3, I had a xbox360 for a while but once I got my PS3...I don,t know...it just appeal to me more.

Focusing on life is always a good alternative :). But moderate gaming is fun, too... So...

PS3:
-Blu-Ray player!
-Blu-Ray disc = massive games, when exploited.
-Cell's floating point performance is insane, and should provide for excellent physics simulations (GT5 Prologue testifies, though some say the Cell is not too suited for gaming).
-Gran Turismo is, in my opinion (and apparently in yours as well :D), the sovereign of all serious racing games. It'll remain a Sony exclusive of course.

XBox 360:
-Better online capabilities and store, at least for now.
-Unified Shader Architecture in GPU (Xenos should outperform the PS3's pixel/vertex shader-based Reality Synth in theory, though there is nil difference as of now).
-Nice Windows connectivity, has more PC games.
-NesMan was right when he said Forza kicks ass.
-Costs less... And has Beautiful Katamari.

I don't know if the above things are of importance, but if you, like me, love the racing games, then the PS3 will bring to you the blessing that is GT. The PS3's library still has huge room to expand... More great games will come out, and more racing will ensue. Not Motorstorm racing... Manly racing as in GT, DIRT, and Formula One. Maybe you like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear as well.

Try tuning them cars if you want to have some real life fun. There's a grease monkey latent in most racing game fanatics. GT might just be the key to get its mojo going.

this should really be moved in general lol.

Still, buying a console for 1 game is not an option.... I got all 3 console but my 360 is getting more closer to the boot everyday.

I know you addresed this to the GMs and not me, but I need to give a second thumbs up to Forza 2. Best racing game ever.

I've played Forza 2 and it just isn't the same. I also already have a steering wheel controller that I'm thinking would be awesome with GT5 (if the game supports it). Metal Gear Solid 4 would be a purchase also and I would need GTA4 for whatever console I would get. I don't know guys, Gran Turismo is the pinnacle of racing games for me.

On another note, I would work on real cars if I had:
a) A car worth working on
b) Money to work with
c) Time to do work

he, you seem to have already made up your mind about the PS3.

GT5 is a given and the prologue is awesome.

MGS4 is awesome.

There are a lot of game coming likle White knight chronicle.

And all the other title are on all plateform....

think about it

White Knight Story does have me very excited, although I was very disapointed when I found out the first trailer which appeared to be in-game was actually a target video. The videos since then have come close but not yet matched it.

Based on what is out now, 360 is an easy choice. But taking into account what's coming out down the track, that's much harder since we don't really know for certain the quality of these big names games, nor do we know what will fly in under the radar.

well the 360 is an easy choice and thats why i bought my 360 first but i didnt get the tilt i was looking for. Even thought the 360 have more games and exclusives... i still find my ps3 more satisfying .

lol ps3 internet browser rules!

Quick Answer: Go with what your gaming heart tells you: Get the PS3. If you love Gran Turismo that much, you'll regret getting the 360 once the actual GT5 comes out.

Of course, if you want to think it through, I would just write down a list of all the games you want to play (present and future) that's on the 360 and then another list for those on the PS3 - and compare. Which games are you willing to sacrifice?

Also: Can you just play some games at your friend's house, or do really want a copy of a game for yourself?

Nothing compares with Gran Turismo. You'll kick yourself repeatedly in the behind if you don't get, 'cause you know you want to.

Plus, I can guarantee you won't be left without any other games that interest you. And don't forget about Home, when that comes...

i use my xbox more than my ps3, but that's mostly because i like the divx player functionality a little better on the xbox, and xbox live is great. both have some excellent racing games.

seems silly to say it, but i'd say it should come down to the blu-ray player. if you already have blu-ray, get the xbox, if not, get the ps3. and then go get planet earth on blu-ray.

d

Duke_Ferris said:
i use my xbox more than my ps3, but that's mostly because i like the divx player functionality a little better on the xbox, and xbox live is great. both have some excellent racing games.

seems silly to say it, but i'd say it should come down to the blu-ray player. if you already have blu-ray, get the xbox, if not, get the ps3. and then go get planet earth on blu-ray.

d

Me agrees, the PS3 is a fine choice for a primary blu-ray player (better than many players out there), and can be the go-buy-it factor when you consider that the 40gb PS3 is cheaper than many stand-alone blu players out there! Prices have dropped, though.

Even though DivX support IS somewhat poor, H.264 AVC is quickly rising to prominence. The Xbox's Windows Media-ish heritage makes it a more familiar media center I guess.

Hard to disagree with the value of the PS3 if you've got a high-def tv now that Blu-ray has won the format war.

I may only have 3 PS3 games but I have at least 8 Blu-ray movies. Still, look at picking up a 360 too when you can afford it, plenty of value gaming there too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle