Kepler 22b

UrbanMasque said:
^I have no problem getting into cryostasis - the only issue is in that time, our society may have developed a way to get there and would be there ready and waiting to meet us by the time we got there 600 light years later

Best time capsule ever. Even better than Wicked's.

Also, TPS nom for used's comment.

I am surprised this is a debate still. I think its quite obvious were not the only ones out here.

I think we just need to understand this sooner than later.

This topic looks perfect for this and time capsules were mentioned..

Like some of you know NASA:s Voyagers include a golden record with music, photos and messages from planet earth.

Here is what it currently contains http://goldenrecord.org/

What would you add/remove from it to show the aliens the planet we are today and bring the record up to date?

Affen said:

Like some of you know NASA:s Voyagers include a golden record with music, photos and messages from planet earth.

What would you add/remove from it to show the aliens the planet we are today and bring the record up to date?

I don't know about adding or removing anything. I am glad though that there are no religious texts included with it.

I've held the thought for a while that if anybody wants absolute proof of a religion being "true", it will come with an alien life form. Just imagine, an entire civilization, devoid of any contact with life forms from Earth, suddenly arrives and carries with them a religious text that is identical or shares enough similarities. Awesome, I'll convert right there on the spot.

Space is huge, and in some of my more stoned states, I've found it almost overwhelming to even attempt to comprehend how huge it is, and what is still out there in the shadows. Every discovery is just another amazing piece of the puzzle. I wish we could see what it'll be like in tens of thousands of years, if human beings will ever be able to make it to the far reaches of space.

I knew about the record - Sagan was actually a part of assembling it, but I'm soo surprised that they would put Chcuk Berry on there.

If should be filled with tons of ancient chants.

I wouldn't convert on the spot if they had "religious" texts - it would actually increase my skepticism. I will actually be skeptical of ANY species we come across in our search (history lesson - Aztec/Spanish, Native Americans/Colonizers) Ancient aliens has become a pop culture laughing stock, but I think that there are some things they might be correct about. There are some things Star trek might have gotten right too - but in the end, there is not supreme deity (as we know them). We are here - and we are alone (at the moment). I don't want some future advanced civilization to find our ruins and wonder what happened. We need to be very proactive in our search for life, and push funding in a direction that supports that endeavor. Because an object is uncomprehendingly far away - Should we give up getting there? Why even bother looking if that's the attitude?

I think before we start searching though, we need to get straight what traits we bring into space and what ones we leave here. (greed, narcissism, fear) Because, I just want us to leave a good impression on whoever we find. We always look at movies like predator and Independence day and think "how awful" - but in reality, we are probably going to be those aliens - going to other planets hunting for sport and mining resource - to hell with the indigenous.

I think as long as we stay on this rock, we're doomed. We need to colonize everything in our solar system and then look outward. Baby steps we should've started making yesterday.

/rant

tl;dr - They're waiting, whether we meet them before we suffocate ourselves is totally on us - and we're currently losing that battle.

Affen said:

Probably will add the movie "Baraka". It sums up our world pretty nicely.

UrbanMasque said:
I think before we start searching though, we need to get straight what traits we bring into space and what ones we leave here. (greed, narcissism, fear) Because, I just want us to leave a good impression on whoever we find. We always look at movies like predator and Independence day and think "how awful" - but in reality, we are probably going to be those aliens - going to other planets hunting for sport and mining resource - to hell with the indigenous.

Could not agree more. We're always so confused by the aliens invading us (like in Battle: Los Angeles). but the reality is when we can feasibly leave Earth, we will do so with similar intents as the bad guy aliens of movies.

intoTheRain said:
Lethean said:
I was pretty stoked to hear this news but any colonization or travel missions won't be happening in our life times. To travel 600 or 700 light years when we have no faster than lite travel method would take, well....A very long time.

600-700 years perhaps

Right. Which is a very long time.

I think its ridiculous to think we'd be like the Humans in Avatar. It makes no sense at all, and I believe we have, and are being visited, but see no reason aliens would invade. If you can travel through space to far off planets, why would you land in a partially farmed planet and kill its people to take their resources?

There would be infinite lifeless planets to choose from with resourses fresh for the picking. If we're being visited I think aliens are just checkin us out, seeing how we progress, maybe preventing our potential doom, keeping an eye on nukes, poppin asteroids on a collision course with earth.

I also think that is what we would do. We'd examine them, it would be fascinating. We wouldn't obliterate them, we can bend time and travel anywhere almost instantaneously. Why wipe out the poor little guys.

intoTheRain said:
I think its ridiculous to think we'd be like the Humans in Avatar. It makes no sense at all, and I believe we have, and are being visited, but see no reason aliens would invade. If you can travel through space to far off planets, why would you land in a partially farmed planet and kill its people to take their resources?

There would be infinite lifeless planets to choose from with resourses fresh for the picking. If we're being visited I think aliens are just checkin us out, seeing how we progress, maybe preventing our potential doom, keeping an eye on nukes, poppin asteroids on a collision course with earth.

I also think that is what we would do. We'd examine them, it would be fascinating. We wouldn't obliterate them, we can bend time and travel anywhere almost instantaneously. Why wipe out the poor little guys.

Agreed. People are going on the automatic assumption that they have resources we would want, or we have ones they want. They totally ignore the fact that with billions of planets between here and who knows where, resources could be found elsewhere without the need for a costly military campaign. Short of retaliatory strikes or for creating a slave labor force, intergalactic warfare will bring new meaning to the term "Cost of War".

That said, watch for an epic dick wagging contest between the Air Force and the Navy as to who will have the rights to be the primary transportation force in the great void. Personally, I wouldn't mind being one of the first humans selected for Stormtrooper duty.

intoTheRain said:

Agree.

But our destructive nature might be masked behind the veil of scientific study or curiosity. How do you know the dust samples we take from Mars isn't damaging the tiny microbial ecosystem there or the introduction of damaging substances (obviously an exaggeration but you get my point).

I also agree that in all likeliness they would probably be benevolent (I hope, because I civilization that advanced could wipe us out on a whim - so we're screwed if they're not. I hope some crack pot doesn't shoot at the thing and cause a situation.... anyway). And we should always be skeptical of intentions - because they are benevolent to us, doesn't mean they aren't the US of the intergalactic/dimensional space federation.

I also believe that they are out there and observing, and the fact that they haven't communicated is a good sign. It means they don't want anything, and also they are letting us play out our destiny. I don;t think they realize how revealing themselves without a doubt would help out society (painful at first - but would ultimately help). Why would they invite these barbarians to join you in space when all they're going to do is make trouble and drain resources?

=)... i love you guys.

tumblr_lls7myqatV1qim3em.gif

This is how this thread makes me feel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod