Neil Armstrong dead at 82

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by Wes, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Wes

Wes Rookie

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/people/featu ... _obit.html

The first man to walk on the moon died today.

It's a sad day, not only because of his death, but the fact he never got to see any progress come out of this monumental achievement. It's been over 40 years and all NASA has done since then is sent another Rover to Mars.

It was supposed to be one giant leap for man kind, but whatever. RIP Armstrong.

2. Optimus-Crime

Optimus-Crime Rookie

I just heard about this, watching it on the news right now.
    He's a forever icon. His legend can only grow larger as we progress further in our space exploration. When you look at the symbolic importance of what he accomplished, and then marking his death, it puts everything grander that's to come down to line into vision, even if that vision is hazy at best. 1,000 years from now, they'll know Neil Armstrong. The man will achieve sainthood if we accomplish anything of worth in space, and, in time, we will.

That's awesome that his name will ring louder than Obama or Reagan or even bin Laden and Hitler. He may have one of the most important names in existence. Like Jesus.
    Of course I'm talking thousands and thousands of years down the line, but still. He gets a lot of credit as it is now--no one thinks about Buzz Aldrin--but to think about the amount of credit Armstrong will get when we're all long gone and dead is staggering.

3. Lien

Lien Rookie

Him and Gagarin were my childhood heroes. I'm very sad to hear this news it's hard to imagine he passed away like that.

Neil Alden Armstrong
    August 5, 1930 – August 25, 2012

R.I.P

4. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

If you had asked me if he was alive or dead, I would have guessed dead. Why does Buzz Aldrin do so many interviews and cameos, but Armstrong didn't?

5. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

We definitely lost an icon.

Well, at least he got to see us do all sorts of neat stuff. Like, go to the moon, uh, again. And put up a satellite that can spy on everyone. And, uh...

And hey, we still have Buzz Aldrin. He's too stubborn to die.

6. Optimus-Crime

Optimus-Crime Rookie

I think it speaks to his intelligence and his vision of what his legacy meant, not only to Americans, but to the human race on whole. Space exploration can't ever stop, there's always going to be a push forward no matter NASA's funding or if we dropped funding completely. Eventually it'll be picked up again, even if it's years and years later.
    So the less he talked, the better shot he had at making it to death cleanly.
    I think he knew he was destined for a space age sainthood so long as he kept his mouth shut and didn't make a fool of himself with any strong statements or political stances.

Wasn't Buzz Alrdrin on Howard Stern talking about fucking chicks? Yeah, he resigned to the fact that he'll always be the number 2 long ago. Gotta give it up to Armstrong for abstaining from the limelight. He fucking soldiered up.
    You could make the argument that Buzz did Armstrong a service by partaking in the celebrity because it separates the two men completely.
    but, yeah, if you read some quotes from Armstrong you get the sense that the man was quite cognizant of the role he played and what that role would read as in the years to come.

7. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

Well, damn R.I.P.

8. danielrbischoff

Imagine if defense spending were magically realigned to space exploration or other scientific exploits?

9. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

I was watching the news about this.

10. Affen

Affen Rookie

A commercial featuring Buzz Aldrin started running on TV few days ago and it made me wonder what Neil is up to these days and now comes the news like this.

The commercial if anyone is wondering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNGlyZfBfM

11. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Very sad. RIP

12. spartan317

spartan317 Rookie

Think maybe when our history is eventually lost and the planet wasted away. The historians reconstruct our past they will see Mr Armstrong in the same light as Jesus?

13. Optimus-Crime

Optimus-Crime Rookie

Absolutely
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html

14. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

This is kind of sad. I propose we name our first space colony after Armstrong in the end.

15. Optimus-Crime

Optimus-Crime Rookie

The name Armstrong is about the get a whole hell of a lot cooler.
    [​IMG]

16. Mod-Chip

Mod-Chip Rookie

This week hasn't been good for the Armstrongs of the world.

17. Wes

Wes Rookie

LOL, I love how the Mega Man series went from 200X to 20XX.

One day... one day...

18. Optimus-Crime

Optimus-Crime Rookie

[​IMG]
    Through all the stretchings and general misuse, he never once lost his smile.

19. GiftedMonkey

GiftedMonkey Rookie

You can't think about it that way. Technological progression is just that: a progression. We can't go from sending a man to the moon to building bases on Mars or mining colonies on asteroids overnight, or even in the span of 40 years. The same way it took us lots of time and trial and error to go from sailing the seas in outrigger canoes to the Titanic, exploring the stars will take time and resources.

Besides, NASA has done lots since then. Creating a reusable spaceship, for one.

20. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

out of curiosity what do you expect we could have done by now that we havent?

we have made HUGE steps.