Neil Armstrong dead at 82

Wes

Rookie
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/people/featu ... _obit.html

The first man to walk on the moon died today.

It's a sad day, not only because of his death, but the fact he never got to see any progress come out of this monumental achievement. It's been over 40 years and all NASA has done since then is sent another Rover to Mars.

It was supposed to be one giant leap for man kind, but whatever. RIP Armstrong.

I just heard about this, watching it on the news right now.
He's a forever icon. His legend can only grow larger as we progress further in our space exploration. When you look at the symbolic importance of what he accomplished, and then marking his death, it puts everything grander that's to come down to line into vision, even if that vision is hazy at best. 1,000 years from now, they'll know Neil Armstrong. The man will achieve sainthood if we accomplish anything of worth in space, and, in time, we will.

That's awesome that his name will ring louder than Obama or Reagan or even bin Laden and Hitler. He may have one of the most important names in existence. Like Jesus.
Of course I'm talking thousands and thousands of years down the line, but still. He gets a lot of credit as it is now--no one thinks about Buzz Aldrin--but to think about the amount of credit Armstrong will get when we're all long gone and dead is staggering.

Him and Gagarin were my childhood heroes. I'm very sad to hear this news it's hard to imagine he passed away like that.

Neil Alden Armstrong
August 5, 1930 – August 25, 2012

R.I.P

If you had asked me if he was alive or dead, I would have guessed dead. Why does Buzz Aldrin do so many interviews and cameos, but Armstrong didn't?

We definitely lost an icon.

Well, at least he got to see us do all sorts of neat stuff. Like, go to the moon, uh, again. And put up a satellite that can spy on everyone. And, uh...

And hey, we still have Buzz Aldrin. He's too stubborn to die.

used44 said:
If you had asked me if he was alive or dead, I would have guessed dead. Why does Buzz Aldrin do so many interviews and cameos, but Armstrong didn't?
I think it speaks to his intelligence and his vision of what his legacy meant, not only to Americans, but to the human race on whole. Space exploration can't ever stop, there's always going to be a push forward no matter NASA's funding or if we dropped funding completely. Eventually it'll be picked up again, even if it's years and years later.
So the less he talked, the better shot he had at making it to death cleanly.
I think he knew he was destined for a space age sainthood so long as he kept his mouth shut and didn't make a fool of himself with any strong statements or political stances.

Wasn't Buzz Alrdrin on Howard Stern talking about fucking chicks? Yeah, he resigned to the fact that he'll always be the number 2 long ago. Gotta give it up to Armstrong for abstaining from the limelight. He fucking soldiered up.
You could make the argument that Buzz did Armstrong a service by partaking in the celebrity because it separates the two men completely.
but, yeah, if you read some quotes from Armstrong you get the sense that the man was quite cognizant of the role he played and what that role would read as in the years to come.

Think maybe when our history is eventually lost and the planet wasted away. The historians reconstruct our past they will see Mr Armstrong in the same light as Jesus?

LinksOcarina said:
This is kind of sad. I propose we name our first space colony after Armstrong in the end.

The name Armstrong is about the get a whole hell of a lot cooler.
315bzf9.png

Optimus-Crime said:
LinksOcarina said:
This is kind of sad. I propose we name our first space colony after Armstrong in the end.

The name Armstrong is about the get a whole hell of a lot cooler.
315bzf9.png

LOL, I love how the Mega Man series went from 200X to 20XX.

One day... one day...

Wes said:
It's a sad day, not only because of his death, but the fact he never got to see any progress come out of this monumental achievement. It's been over 40 years and all NASA has done since then is sent another Rover to Mars.

You can't think about it that way. Technological progression is just that: a progression. We can't go from sending a man to the moon to building bases on Mars or mining colonies on asteroids overnight, or even in the span of 40 years. The same way it took us lots of time and trial and error to go from sailing the seas in outrigger canoes to the Titanic, exploring the stars will take time and resources.

Besides, NASA has done lots since then. Creating a reusable spaceship, for one.

Wes said:
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/people/features/armstrong_obit.html

The first man to walk on the moon died today.

It was supposed to be one giant leap for man kind, but whatever. RIP Armstrong.

out of curiosity what do you expect we could have done by now that we havent?

we have made HUGE steps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle