Help me pick out a game for my father

masterchris

Rookie
So I want to get my dad a new game for Christmas, but I have no idea what to get him.
As some of you may or may not know, I'm not a fan of FPS' or shooter-type games. My dad on the other hand is. This is what I want to get him, but not being a fan myself, I really don't know what's any good.

He likes a lot of what I call the mindless shooter games; stuff like Doom or Quake or whatever. He doesn't do online gaming, so suggesting a title like BF1942 would be pointless. He likes the Medal of Honor games however.
I'll just list what he has, and maybe you guys can suggest what else there is that's similar.
BF1942 (doesn't really like it)
Call of Duty 2 (seems to enjoy it!)
Brothers in Arms Road to something, can't remember the title. I think he likes it.
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (really likes it)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (loves it)
Quake 4 (really likes it).

Quake 4 and COD2 are pretty much the upper limits of what his computer will play, but for good measure, he as an AMD Sempron 2800+ w/ 512MB ram and a GeForce 256mb 5700LE video card.
He also doesn't like FPS' on consoles, so don't bother suggesting any.

What I'm looking at right now: Doom 3 & Far Cry. Not sure what else is out there, as I said I'm not a fan of the genre.
If you guys can suggest a couple of titles, I would be forever in your debts!

Thanks folks!

See about the requirements on it but sticking with the war theme but changing it from FPS to RTS...

Company of Heroes.

I'm not sure he'd dig it or not. Maybe slip him a demo on his PC and see?

Get him the second Brother's in Arm game, Brothers in Arms: Earned in blood. If he likes the first one, Im sure he will like the second.

I say go with either Bros. In Arms or Call of Duty, staying with the FPS WW2 vein.

Far Cry is a good choice though, if you cant pick those two up.

SK said:
Can't go wrong with Halo.
Isn't Halo a primarily multiplayer game?

LetheanDreams said:
See about the requirements on it but sticking with the war theme but changing it from FPS to RTS...

Company of Heroes.
I'll look into that one, thanks

Frozen said:
Get him the second Brother's in Arm game, Brothers in Arms: Earned in blood. If he likes the first one, Im sure he will like the second.
I'll look that one up, thanks!

LinksOcarina said:
I say go with either Bros. In Arms or Call of Duty, staying with the FPS WW2 vein.

Far Cry is a good choice though, if you cant pick those two up.
When you say Call of Duty, you mean the first? He already owns COD2, and afaik COD3 isn't on PC, is it?

You guys all rock. Any other suggestions? It doesn't have to be new releases, even suggest some titles that are 2-3 years old! He's not fussy. Hell, he picked up something from the ValuSoft racks at Staples once for $20 and loved it.

masterchris said:
SK said:
Can't go wrong with Halo.
Isn't Halo a primarily multiplayer game?

It has multiplayer, but a good single player and sort of a different feel than the games that your father likes to play. He might like something a bit different of the same genre I suppose. But it couldn't be any more than $20

Does he have a PS2/Xbox?

article--Black.jpg

How about F.E.A.R.?? Haven't played it myself, but I think I'm picking it up soon for Xbox 360.

Like SK said about Halo, it may have a different feel than the WWII shooters he plays.

Just a thought.

Brothers in Arms: Earned in blood

If you want to get him intrested in survival horror titles then I'd suggest Doom 3 or F.E.A.R.

Oh, sorry. I didn't see that line. I read the 'mindless shooter' part and instantly went to BLACK.

Try the following:

Red Faction (Original, not 2nd.)
C&C: Renegade
Serious Sam (Any)

Why does it have to be a new game? Instead of getting him one new game, you could get him a few old shooters. Deus Ex, Star Trek Elite Force, Thief 1 + 2.... the list goes on. Just because a game is new, it doesn't mean it's better than older ones.

No worries mouse1992. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also thanks Tyrranis & JCD, some good ideas there as well. You guys are giving me a lot to consider here!
As I said above, it doesn't have to be new games. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod