Favourite video game villains?

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if a thread like this exists but I'm curious and would love to know, who're your favourite villains in video games? Who do you think are super cool, super bad ass villains who you love to hate? For this list, try to think of villains who first emerged in a video game.

I'll start with a few villains I like who I think are pretty cool. No particular order.

Illusive_Man.png

The Illusive Man (Mass Effect series):

"The Illusive Man" has got one of the most epic office views I've ever seen and he just looks like a complete bad ass with his cybernetic eyes and fancy suit. I like how the Illusive Man is such a dangerous character, not for his physical structure or anything, but because of the power he wields through Cerberus and how cunning and intelligent he is. He's also brilliantly voiced by Martin Sheen. I'm a self confessed Mass Effect fan boy so it shouldn't be a surprise that I've put the Illusive Man is here.

138289047501.jpg

Vergil (Devil May Cry 3):

I like Vergil. I think he's really cool. I think what's interesting about him is how he is very similar to Dante but at the same time is quite the opposite. He's cool, he's confident, he's calm and he's quiet, the latter two qualities isn't exactly Dante. I also think his method of fighting (with that over sized katana) is pretty sweet too. He was also a lot of fun to play as in the Special Edition version of Devil May Cry 3, I found him much more enjoyable than Dante actually.

hqdefault.jpg

Thanatos (Secret of Mana):

100px-0,56,0,56-Thanatos.gif

This guy was really cool too. His tiny sprite (the one when you see him in the "cut scenes", as shown above) looks pretty evil and mysterious and that's exactly what I liked about him, he was mysterious, not much was known about him but it was known he wasn't to be messed with. I thought it was really cool that when you finally got to fight him, he would transform into that crazy looking thing, the "Lich King". Apparently the developers and writers of Secret of Mana wanted to further expand on Thanatos' background but were unable to due to time frame and size/space on the cartridge. I wonder, would he have been a better character if more was known about him, or was it better to leave him as the mysterious, dark but powerful figure he is?

I'll leave it at that for now until I can remember more... so post your villains. :D

Sure.

300px-Hazama_%28Chronophantasma%2C_Character_Select_Artwork%29.png

Hazama (Blaz Blue)
This sociopath and ghost who does not care for human life. He has used his mind controlling ghost powers to make a child burn down a school and cut his older brothers arm off and then kidnapped their sister while permanently damaging the mind controlled child's psyche. He also is a mastermind responsible for almost everything unfortunate ever happening to any character within Blaz Blue

Metal-Gear-Solid-3-The-Boss.jpg

The Boss

I still think that MGS 3 had the best final boss. The final fight is amazing and if you got invested in the story, the meaning behind everything that led up to that fight is great. It's not often that you get such a great back story between the protagonist and he final boss.

2358267-hitler_wolfenstein_3d.jpg

Mecha Hitler
A lot of these WWII games got it all wrong. At the end of the game, you have to fight Hitler. Even JRPGs got it right:
hqdefault.jpg

For shame.

I agree completely with Bretimus.

And Jim, I don't know what you're talking about. In Persona 2, the final boss isn't Hitler, it's this fine fellow.
mhBNSy8.jpg

See? This is clearly not the same person.

I thought of one.

44d0ecf928f15820efb9d721280b5c2a.jpg

Diablo II Diablo

Given the combined facts that he's (supposed to be) your character from the first game, you chase after him from start to finish, and he's completely terrifying (terror-fying?) in battle, he's easily one of the most satisfying bosses to defeat. Ever.

I had to think about this one for a bit, but I have to go with Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2

Handsome-Jack.jpg

He's not what I'd consider what you'd call an intimidating villain because he spends the majority of the game not doing much but talking shit to you and throwing endless waves of robots at you. But I think he's a great antagonistic villain in that all that taunting really motivates you to want to get to the end so you can finally shut that asshole up once and for all and the game lets you do that in quite a satisfying way.

So that's why I think he makes a good villain.

500px-Fawful_Artwork_-_Bowser%27s_Inside_Story.png

Fawful from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

Everything he said was comedy gold and despite him not being the main boss but a first-class henchman, he was one of the most memorable anything in the game.

Pyramid Head
Pyramid_Head.jpg

One of the most intriguing villians of the Silent Hill series. Pyramid Head had a creepy and terrifying role to play in SH2, and then was just used as fan service in everything else.

THE LAST OF US SPOILERS,
David. He goes from a seemingly nice guy into a villian into a creepy cannibal who drops hints he wants to have sex with a 14 year old Ellie. He was indeed an awesome villians. And the fact that you play as Ellie makes him feel all the more powerful and creepy. Not to mention the fact his encounter leaves Ellie scarred and traumatized..

THE WALKING DEAD SEASON 1 SPOILERS,
The stranger who steals Clementine. A great twist to see he was was he dude who owned the car full of food and supplies you stole. Also the fact that the stranger judges you based on the choices you made throughout the game was a great touch.

Have to say my favourite boss ever has to be,
207866-vyers_large.jpg

Midboss (Vyers) from disgaea. Disgaea obviously makes fun of the whole genre but midboss is just such a classic JRPG protagonist. Making him the whiney self-obsessed antagonist is just great.

giygas.png

Giygas from Earthbound

why you ask? It's a fucking fetus, you go back in time to kill the greatest terror the world has ever seen, while it's in it's weakest form. You never see this oft mentioned great evil force, you only see his henchmen and those corrupted by his control, but he's so badass the game says you can't handle him, go fight him before he was born. This is the greatest, and as far as I know, only abortion boss battle around. You literally beat a fetus to death, with a baseball bat, and just before the pro lifers can start screaming foul, you literally pray to finish him off. Even god wants abortions!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod