FPS needs a makeover :P

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Warlock, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Warlock

Warlock Rookie

I was playing Fallout 3 recently and wow! XD RPG and FPS together?! It's a dream come true *sniff* but what if developers started adding RPG elements to games like Doom, Quake etc. ? From my point of view making your own weapons from scrap and looting enemies with the FPS action would be a plus, but then again there are people who'd rather have the FPS part itself and not get involved in grinding and the sort.

So the question is:

"Should developers add more RPG elements into FPS games?"

I say "why not?" what do you guys think?

2. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Being a fan of RPG's, I also say "why not?"

3. TheDiesel

TheDiesel Rookie

also see: Borderlands

I <3 me some RPGs, but I think FPSs like Gears of War and Halo should stick to what they do best. Even though Gears has had some rumors of it having RPG elements in their next installment.

Who knows? Might be sooner than we all think.

4. Warlock

Warlock Rookie

You can't deny the awesome of this hybrid XD

5. Tykk

Tykk Rookie

Get Deus Ex (the first one, not the crappy sequel) and you just might have an orgasm if you liked FPS/RPG hybrid so much.

6. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

It's funny. I have heard from FPS fans that they hated Fallout because of the RPG elements. I also know few people who even know about Deus Ex, unless if they are an RPG fanatic or a gamer. So I say it's possible, but will FPS fans really take to it?

7. Warlock

Warlock Rookie

I've heard of Deus Ex, I've never really checked it out, but now I will XD

That's the problem >.< we just need people to be a little more open minded once in a while

8. keepithowitis

keepithowitis Rookie

I love the whole open-endedness that a lot of games are going to now. It gives you a much bigger feeling of personalization, and I think people are definitely putting that whole Fallout 3-style FPS/RPG mix to good use. Hopefully it doesn't turn out that every game in the industry will be in this style, but it's for sure a lot of fun while it lasts.

9. TheDiesel

TheDiesel Rookie

Sad part is there are a LOT of games coming out with open-world capabilities. Hopefully it remains a chosen few per couple years.

10. Warlock

Warlock Rookie

Of course we don't want every FPS game coming out to be an FPS/RPG hybrid, but a selected few, let's try it out shall we? 8)

11. KoalaRainbowPoop

fps have gotten stale and tiresome. even if they add rpg elements and open world game play. peel it all back and strip away all those elements and they are another generic fps. shot gun? check. rifle? check. pistol? check. all the same at the end of the day. don't get me wrong, i loved fallout 3, got all the endings with good nuetral, and bad, but still, just a game trying to hide what it is, another fps.

12. Undead-Exposure

I can agree with you, so I say "why not?" But I honestly think to make an amazing FPS/RPG hybrid would be VERY hard.

13. Warlock

Warlock Rookie

Makes it worth waiting for :D

14. Chris_Crime

Chris_Crime Rookie

I've played Borderlands and, honestly, it wasn't too impressive.
    They're pushing it as a fps / rpg but really it's just a fps with a rank up system from what I can tell. Resistance 2 did the same thing last year, and better - 8 player coop in Resistance 2 vs 4 player coop in Borderlands.

There are a lot of websites hyping this game (namely Kotaku), but I wouldn't be surprised if it were a major flop. But since there's so much positive buzz about the game who knows?

Just don't expect a demo! Nothing to write home about, imo

15. KoalaRainbowPoop

borderlands looks boring to me. over a 100 guns or wahtever. how much ya wanna bet that these are just gonna be remodeled skins that do the same things has other guns?