Happy Madison

De-Ting

Rookie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Madison

So, let's get some stuff straightened out, here. Look at the list of movies on the page linked above. You'll most likely recognize a good number of them. Some of them are garbage, yes, but let me point out some that aren't.

The Animal
The Master of Disguise
50 First Dates
The remake of The Longest Yard
The Benchwarmers
Click
Paul Blart: Mall Cop
Grown Ups

Good stuff. They do contain a lot of "stupid humor," but only really old shrews and stuck-up tightwads don't enjoy stupid humor. Most people that say they don't like the stuff get really pissy about it. We're not talking like Disney Channel humor, no. That's not stupid humor. That's unfunny humor, written mostly for young children that don't know what funny is yet.

Stupid humor comes in a variety of flavors. Your first exposure to it may not be exactly to your tastes, but don't fret. There's a lot to choose from, and Happy Madison provides a decent selection. I encourage you to watch some of the movies from my list, and I assure you, you'll find something you enjoy.

So out of a list of 32 movies that a person could watch right now, you recommend 8. Not exactly a high percentage.

Humor is subjective. You liked The Animal for example while I did not. I think without Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider would have been out of Hollywood 15 years ago.

And yes, there are different types of humor. Stupid Humor is more like a Napolean Dynamite type of movie. Stupid humor is a movie like Idiocracy where it is used to make a larger point.

The humor on display in most happy madison / Sandler movies are the school playground bully type of humor. Laugh at the fat guy! Why, did he do something funny? No, just cause he's fat! A guy got kicked in the balls, ha!

There are no jokes. It's just stuff happening to people. It's college frat boy humor. But yes, if you watch enough happy madison movies you might find one you like, much in the same way that if you went around your house sticking your dick in all your household objects you might find one that fit and didn't make you cry. Totally painful and not worth the effort.

UghRochester said:
Why must you always take the conversation out of the thread?
To not derail the thread.

And it appears to me that you haven't actually watched very many Happy Madison movies, C_Nate. We in fact laugh at the fat guy because he did something stupid. And also because he's fat. :p

Physical humor is what seems to not do it for you. I take it you don't like The Three Stooges, either.

Tingy most of Adam Sandler's films are God awful at the moment. The reason he's still making films is probably because of all the money he made from Happy Gilmore years.

Now, I enjoy some of those films you've listed there. 50 First Dates probably being my favourite.
But take this on board:

SOME PEOPLE DONT LIKE THE SAME THINGS YOU DO!

I liked Joe Dirt, Anger Management, Grandma's Boy, I Know Pronounce You Chuck & Larry, also 8 Crazy Nights I just find it to be so stupid it's funny. Those are added to your list above

Grandmas Boy is my favorite. :D

It doesn't have Adam Sandler in it, which Is cool by me.

I like what some people would consider "stupid Humor"
Pineapple express, superbad, super troopers, beerfest, Southpark, any show on adult swim.

I definitely don't like action humor like the three stooges. I also find most old british humor to be dry but bearable.(Most comedy from before 1980s seems dry to me)

Sometimes a wonder if I got a kick out of those early Sandler movies because they were better then or because I watched them as a teenager and have now grown up.

I tend to lean towards the former. Sandler movies are almost always a partial hit or a total miss. I loved or at least liked six or seven of the ones on that list, another third of them I haven't seen.

Some, like Click or Grown Ups were really good. Others, like Zohan and Jack and Jill, make me want to cleanse the satellite receiver with fire if I even glimpse them in the guide.

But out of all those films in that list that I have seen, none are as good as BIlly Madison, Happy Gilmore, The Waterboy or The Wedding Singer, all movies that predate Happy Madison Productions.

Well, now you are comparing different types of comedy, Ting. The Three Stooges were slapstick comedy which was intentionally over the top and cartoonish in nature complete with cartoon sound effects like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co_JLAzQbUk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slapstick_comedy

Slapstick is a type of broad physical comedy involving exaggerated, boisterous actions (e.g. a pie in the face), farce, violence and activities which may exceed the boundaries of common sense.

The stuff you are comparing it to is just mean spirited in nature. Like from your Grown Ups movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=c3J3qgxhf_Y#t=333s

So the whole joke here is that Rob Schneider gets an arrow right through his foot. Someone makes a joke about him being attacked by Indians. (because racial humor is always funny regardless of what year it is.) Nothing very slapstick about that.

As his friends carry him back to the cabin, everyone runs out in a panic to see what happened. In the middle of all this, his daughters come out as well. As the third daughter comes running to see what happened to her injured father, the guys stop everything to point at laugh at how UGLY she is. She says nothing stupid, she does nothing stupid. The whole joke is that he has two hot daughters and one ugly one. That's it. That is the whole joke. Laugh at her because she is ugly and not hot like her sisters! That isn't stupid humor. That is asshole douchebag humor.

But hey, to each their own I guess.

What if we bring money into this.

Sure if you go to see it at a theater you are going to probably be angry you spent $20 just to see some of those movies.

Say you go to a redbox and get grown ups. Would you feel satisfied to renting the movie for $1? I would, I'd prefer to just watch it on netflix stream(Its not available). At that price point I would say the comedy is enjoyable and a decent value.

I paid $1 for all the alan wake games which I really enjoyed but it was partly because I didn't pay full price $60 plus whatever cost the dlcs were.

I know not everyone likes the same stuff. Chillax, broskies. I knew you would get pissy. I'm poking fun at you.

People hate on Click, but never give any reasons why. I thought it had a good story, and was pretty clever.

danielrbischoff said:
We're doing the opposite of hating on Click.

hahaha

Today on GR we learn that humour is subjective.

And as to what Sourdeez said, I recently saw The Heat and White House Down both for $5 at the drive thru. They were bad movies but I can't complain because it was a good deal. Still, they were bad movies and I wouldn't recommend them or defend them.

Sourdeez said:
What if we bring money into this.

Sure if you go to see it at a theater you are going to probably be angry you spent $20 just to see some of those movies.

Say you go to a redbox and get grown ups. Would you feel satisfied to renting the movie for $1? I would, I'd prefer to just watch it on netflix stream(Its not available). At that price point I would say the comedy is enjoyable and a decent value.

I paid $1 for all the alan wake games which I really enjoyed but it was partly because I didn't pay full price $60 plus whatever cost the dlcs were.

If you bring money into it, it just makes it worse in my opinion. Since you are talking about grown ups, look at the budget for that film in the link Ting posted at the top. It was 80 million dollars. A movie that for the most part was filmed entirely at a lake and has, as far as I know, zero special effects or CGI. 80 Million. $80,000,000 For a movie shot at a lake. wtf? Where did all that money go? How could it cost that much and not see it on the screen? And somehow it made 270 mil in worldwide gross. So people are paying lots of money to see him take his friends on vacation so he can make another 20 mil off of poop and pee jokes and people getting kicked in the dick. When that isn't happening you are watching a commercial for popeyes, or tgif, or dunkin donuts, or kfc, or sony, or whatever else sponsor that gets shoved in your face the entire movie.

And don't worry ting, I'm not pissy. I usually overthink things like this and get more in depth about it than I need to. My own little form of OCD. =p

fixed that for you. hes saying the only good movie is click.

and 50 first dates was good but wasnt stupid comedy like the rest.

and i like paul blart mall cop only because im one of very few that love kevin james. just because the king of queens is one of my favorite TV shows of all time.

really enjoyed here comes the boom.. and there are a few more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle