GR Presents: Final Fantasy 7 Live Action Cast

If you want, but I would like to see some discussion as to why people vote the way they're voting - so people don't just walk into the topic and plop down a vote and leave. Some thought required.

For All the reasons I state above - I vote Snyder

Lets not downplay the importance of the FFVII Soundtrack in overall scheme of the game. The music is an important part of project and we need a director that will take that into account.

WickedLiquid said:
50759257.jpg

I'm sorry what were we discussing?

Oh yeah, FF7. How about Neill BlomKamp? I for one was mesmerized by District 9, and I'd like to see what else he's got up his sleeve.

As for the cast? In no order: Brian Cox as President Shinra, Summer Glau as Yuffie, Christian Bale as Vincent just to name a few

This is why I nominated Jackson. He can deliver a visual style and bring substance into that field better than the likes of Zach Snyder.

This really depends though on the type of movie you want. If you want an all action, piz-paz and all the like, perhaps James Cameron would be a more apt choice over Snyder then.

But it really does depend though. If you want a minor subplot and storyline on the side, then Snyder cannot deliver that without the help of an existing script.

Edgar Wright might be a good choice, but his style of direction kind of favors comedies though in the end, Scott Pilgrim worked because of this, so I think that he would not fit the MO of this kind of movie.

I honestly think it should come down to Cameron or Jackson really. Both would fit the movie better than Snyder methinks.

Yeah I love Wright, but a FF7 movie is something you're going to want to take seriously. Edgar Wright would take FF7, throw it into the real world and show us how absurd it is and then the movie would be a self-aware comedy. Then again, Shaun of the Dead used the self aware formula but then the urgency of the situation outweighed the satire and it slowly became a frighting movie. But FF7 is no horror flick.

I agree with Jackson, he can take Lord of the Rings and make it serious buisness. Instead of Frodo winking at the camera and looking like "can you believe this Sam guy? Why doesn't he just marry me." Not to mention Jackson knows how to make epics and FF7 is a loooooong story.

Again, I don't know about Peter Jackson. I mean, it depends on how much you want the movie to relate to the game. If you've read the LoTR, you'd see that his movies and the novel differ in a lot of parts. Especially regarding Tom Bombadil. So Yuffie might not appear in the movie since she's an optional character that doesn't really move the story forward. Which could be a good thing if you hate the character.

Rakon said:
. How about Neill BlomKamp? I for one was mesmerized by District 9, and I'd like to see what else he's got up his sleeve.

District 9 worked because of the narrative/documentary style telling of the story. I don't think a shaky camera, and "authentic footage" plays well in the world of FF7.

Edgar Wright
Christopher Nolan
John Woo

are off the table.

I'm not a fan of cutting characters, especially when we haven't cast anybody yet.
Sticking to the story is a DEALBREAKER for me.
If people are driving the anti-Snyder bus I will consider it - but if you want a different choice we have to lay out some ground rules.

I'll accept Jackson/Whedon as serious choices, if they follow the script and clear all edits & revisions by us. That sound fair?

Jackson would then not be a good choice, because they deviate from the script when appropriate.

Of course, they also deviated back into LOTR a lot as the famous example, like how arwen was supposed to show up at helms deep and that didn't happen in the end.

Considering the last time they tried to make a movie with every character we got Advent Children, uh... yeah. Nuff said.

To put it simply, you couldn't make a movie and have every little detail of the game in there. And you couldn't split it up, because there aren't really enough individual climaxes to make a series work.

I vote Whedon... Some of these characters die and are dead... He does that very well.

Woo should've never been an option. Snyder either. I liked sucker punch too but we're not making a music video.

Cameron is too dark. For those who don't remember there is humor in the game. plus did you see Terminator: Salvation?

Wright would turn it to a comedy and while it had humor it should not be laughable. Else we might as well hire Mr, Boll

Please not Peter Jackson. This cannot be a long movie. when you take out all of the grinding involved with the game it is quite short.

If we can't have Whedon or his vision doesn't match ours then I'm with rakon... District 9 melded science and wierd with reality in awesome and uncomfortable ways...

Longo_2_guns said:
Considering the last time they tried to make a movie with every character we got Advent Children, uh... yeah. Nuff said.

To put it simply, you couldn't make a movie and have every little detail of the game in there. And you couldn't split it up, because there aren't really enough individual climaxes to make a series work.

Of course there are:
3 discs = 3 movies.
Climax 1 - death of Aerith
Climax 2 - discovery of the meteor and trying to stop it
Climax 3 - end battle.

I vote Whedon or Jackson (with the stipulations I've outlined) - because he is a trilogy guy. But if the plan is to make 3 movies maybe we should get Nolan back into the mix?

spartan317 said:
I vote Whedon... Some of these characters die and are dead... He does that very well.

Woo should've never been an option. Snyder either. I liked sucker punch too but we're not making a music video.

Cameron is too dark. For those who don't remember there is humor in the game. plus did you see Terminator: Salvation?

Wright would turn it to a comedy and while it had humor it should not be laughable. Else we might as well hire Mr, Boll

Please not Peter Jackson. This cannot be a long movie. when you take out all of the grinding involved with the game it is quite short.

If we can't have Whedon or his vision doesn't match ours then I'm with rakon... District 9 melded science and wierd with reality in awesome and uncomfortable ways...

James Cameron is too dark? Thats a new one.

And Peter Jackson did make short movies before. Dead Alive...Heavenly Creatures...

Ok he has 2 hour movies...but still that is enough to fit the three climaxes mentioned above.

UrbanMasque said:
Of course there are:
3 discs = 3 movies.
Climax 1 - death of Aerith
Climax 2 - discovery of the meteor and trying to stop it
Climax 3 - end battle.
The first two are the low points, not climaxes.

The only real climax in the game happens in the events surrounding disk 3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle