Good exercise tips

Wes

Rookie
So a steady diet of McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut or Harvey's for lunch every day is starting to show.

Looking to get back into a workout to shed some extra pounds. Any recommendations for at-home workout DVD's? Or a good workout plan in general?

I'm about to join a gym. Don't know what to do there but this thread is very relevant to my interests.

in before Lethean UFC workout.

I lost 40 pounds in a few short months when I was 18. How?

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

In all seriousness, you don't exactly have to bust out the 6 hour insanity work outs yet. Cut as much junk as you possibly can, start with some basic exercises. Try not to take the easy way out on things, every little bit helps. Walk to the mailbox (if it is decent distance), yada yada.

Good luck man!

just consume fiber, you'll drop 6 pound deuces all day long

if shitting out your lower intestine is not your thing though, invest in a dog, not only do you get companionship, but an hour a day walk/jog with them is usually enough to keep you in decent health

I just go to the gym on a three day rotation of chest and triceps on the first day, shoulders and legs on the second, and back and arms on the last. Repeat for another 3 days then take the 7th day off and then repeat for next week. Thats what i do at the gym with a couple of people.

Excercise tip 1: Diet is more important than the gym. If your option was eating a garbage diet and working out, or eating an excellent diet and not working out, go with plan B. You'll look and feel far better.

Exercise tip 2: getting in shape does not require you to be in the gym for 1.5 hours lifting weights. In fact, if you're lifting any longer than 45 minutes to an hour tops, you're basically hindering the process past that point. Get in, work out hard, be out in 45 minutes. the gym is not a case of the longer you workout the more in shape you get, it's the opposite, unless you're juicing.

exercise tip 3: do not neglect your legs.. please.

exercise tip 4: start with proper form, focus on that first. no one gives a shit if you're lifting low weight. what people WILL laugh at is if you think you're a hero lifting WAY more than you can, with brutal form. nothing like seeing some douche bag load up a bar with 100 lbs more than he can actually bench press and he lowers the bar an inch. learn proper form and your lifts will double within a month or two anyway, and you'll grow a lot faster.

exercise tip 5: gym etiquette. do not curl in the squat rack.. do not grunt, do not smash weights together at the top of every rep, do not slam your weights on the floor. etc.

exercise tip 6: take something immediately post workout with sugar and protein in it, even if it's chocolate milk. a recovery shake is optimal.

tip 7: my routine anymore is Mon - Chest Tues - back Wed - Legs thurs - shoulders/traps fri - arms, week 2 I do mon - upper, tues - lower, wed off/cardio, thurs upper, fri - lower. I LOVE this routine. you get the benefits of a full muscle group split AND upper/lower split. you hit all muscle groups twice one week while allowing for optimal recovery time. then the next week you hit them more directly hitting those spots you might be missing with upper/lower splits.

tip 8: i dunno ask..

i've been into fitness since grade 9, but always fall off the wagon. i'm a perfectionist, if i'm going to the gym i eat flawless and exercise becomes my life.

I'm just getting back into it after a 1.5 year hiatus. I've went from 230 lbs to currently at 205 lbs in 2.5 months. pretty cut right now, but going to go to 190 lbs. Then bulk back up to 200 lbs. Then do a final cut back to 190 for the summer.

this time i've taught myself that I CAN indulge now and then, as long as i get right back on the horse the next day. Saturdays are generally my do whatever i want after 5PM day. This way hopefully I'll keep at it for life now and not stop going. going well so far..

Diversify your cardio. Swim, run, bike, etc. Joining a class is a good way to make sure you keep it at it. Make indulging a reward for good attendance. But when you indulge, don't go overboard.

I love tip 3 & 4 it's hilarious to someone with a huge upper body with little chicken legs, and when people do over the top things such as a kid curling a 50 lb weight when he should only be about 20 it's pretty funny watchin that.

You're american or canadian, yeah?

Simply stop being one.
Not even kidding, you guys don't realize how absolutely massive your meals are over there. If you visited Australia for a couple weeks, you'd lost 20lbs while sitting around doing nothing all day. I'd bet you guys average take in 500-1000 calories more than us, and we australians usually take in 500-1000 more than we should.
For example, our large pizzas are 3" smaller.

Other than that, just be slightly more active. Walk to the shops instead of driving, that sort of thing. Walking another mile a day (not that hard when you're doing lots of things) and dropping around 750 calories from your daily intake will help more than you'd expect.

If you want to gym, focus on cardio for the first month ish before you do weights, otherwise you're going to be unhappy when you're trying to diet while doing weights at the same time and notice that you're never losing any weight - remember, muscle is heavy.

madster111 said:
You're american or canadian, yeah?

Simply stop being one.
Not even kidding, you guys don't realize how absolutely massive your meals are over there. If you visited Australia for a couple weeks, you'd lost 20lbs while sitting around doing nothing all day. I'd bet you guys average take in 500-1000 calories more than us, and we australians usually take in 500-1000 more than we should.
For example, our large pizzas are 3" smaller.

Other than that, just be slightly more active. Walk to the shops instead of driving, that sort of thing. Walking another mile a day (not that hard when you're doing lots of things) and dropping around 750 calories from your daily intake will help more than you'd expect.

If you want to gym, focus on cardio for the first month ish before you do weights, otherwise you're going to be unhappy when you're trying to diet while doing weights at the same time and notice that you're never losing any weight - remember, muscle is heavy.

I promise u should take my advice over madsters. Also i have a problem believing you when australias obesity epidemic is third highest in the world slightly behind the US.

intoTheRain said:
I promise u should take my advice over madsters. Also i have a problem believing you when australias obesity epidemic is third highest in the world slightly behind the US.
We're fat because we drink a lot of beer and tend to never walk anywhere at all because the distances are generally too high.
Like i said, we still take in much more a day than we should, but we take in a surprising amount less than the american norm.

And walking and focusing on cardio before muscle is the best thing you can do. It improves your overall health, bulks up your legs and just makes you feel better overall. It's good to do cardio for almost a month before doing any serious weights.

Remember that i live in Aus and have been to the US, and am currently going to a gym twice a week and went from 125kg to 119kg and am looking for 115kg before i start properly working on muscle. I still do some weights, but mainly working on cardio before muscle is the way i've been told to do it by the trainers.

Excercise tip 1: Diet is more important than the gym. If your option was eating a garbage diet and working out, or eating an excellent diet and not working out, go with plan B. You'll look and feel far better.
Seriously that is all you need.

madster111 said:
intoTheRain said:
We're fat because we drink a lot of beer and tend to never walk anywhere at all because the distances are generally too high.
Like i said, we still take in much more a day than we should, but we take in a surprising amount less than the american norm.

And walking and focusing on cardio before muscle is the best thing you can do. It improves your overall health, bulks up your legs and just makes you feel better overall. It's good to do cardio for almost a month before doing any serious weights.

Remember that i live in Aus and have been to the US, and am currently going to a gym twice a week and went from 125kg to 119kg and am looking for 115kg before i start properly working on muscle. I still do some weights, but mainly working on cardio before muscle is the way i've been told to do it by the trainers.

Cool!

Before you work out, be sure to make some sort of diet plan. You can still lose weight on a poor diet, but you may not see results as fast as you want to and you will have less energy while working out.

The best thing to do is calculate your daily caloric intake. The best way to do this is by first weighting yourself and then meticiously calulating your caloric intake for two weeks. At the end of each week weight yourself, and based on what you gained/lost, subtract/add to your weekly caloric intake. The number you end up with is how many calories you need to take in to stay at your current weight. One pound of fat is around 3,500 calories. If you don't want to do all that, you could use the equation in the link above.

For exercise, the easiest way to slim down is to run every other day. You don't have to push yourself stupid hard, because that will just discourage you from running. If you aren't used to running try aternating between a jog and a walk every 3 minutes. As you get better, increase the time you jog and decrease the time you walk. This program is a good way to get up to running a 5k if you have absolutely no experience in running.

Going to the gym really isn't my thing, but the gym is a great way to build muscle fast. More muscle = more calories burned while doing nothing so that is always a good thing. If you do go to the gym, be sure to plan your weeks workout before you even start, otherwise you will probably not get the results you expect.

At home exercise? P90x or insanity. Seriously.

If you want to be in the best shape of your life though find a good Crossfit group and do that combined with eating paleolithic. You'll be set!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod