FORCE AWAKENS movie club (unmarked spoilers)

In regards to Luke's previous lightsaber, that lightsaber wasn't exactly his, as it belonged to his father, Anakin Skywalker.

Luke built his own lightsaber shortly before the events of Return of the Jedi. Luke did this for two reasons, 1 - to replace his previous lost saber of course, and 2 - if he's able to build his own lightsaber, then that shows how far his training as a Jedi has come along.

But also, the change of lightsaber colour (blue to green) was due to film reasons. In Return of the Jedi, Luke was originally supposed to have a blue lightsaber, but they found that the lightsaber blade was too difficult to see during the sail barge scene. So they changed it to green to help make it stand out. They also wanted to surprise the audience with "Oh he's got a new lightsaber!"

As to who retrieved his lightsaber or why, no idea, that's an interesting question that will hopefully be revealed in the next film.

I watched it today and while I'm not going to micro-analyze it, I'll just say it was a very good movie, better than the prequels, and I look forward to episode 8. It's not often I see a movie twice in theaters, but I'll probably go catch this one again, probably in 3D this time.

1. Finn is evil

2. The movie was alright

I went with two guys who love Star Wars. I liked the old ones, but I wouldn't call myself a fan of star wars. But what I am a fan of is hype and cinema. So again, I thought it was an alright movie. Loved the dowend AT-AT sand scene near the beginning, that was an epic shot. Chewbacca's cold scene was also great. But the movie on whole was missing that grand battles on ground scale.
The space scenes were grand but there wasn't enough ground action. But then again, it is star wars, not ground wars, so whatever. Like I said, not a real fan. The ground battles were nice, just kinda small.

But it's obvious to anyone who's ever watched a good movie that Finn is EVILLL.

What do you guys think of BB-8? Truthfully, I kinda hated R2-D2. BB-8 kinda grew on me though..

IRrXztR.jpg

Master_Craig said:
In regards to Luke's previous lightsaber, that lightsaber wasn't exactly his, as it belonged to his father, Anakin Skywalker.
It was given to him in A New Hope by Obi-wan. Though, in A New Hope, the hilt was slightly different when Obi-wan picked it up in Revenge of the Sith.

Master_Craig said:
Luke built his own lightsaber shortly before the events of Return of the Jedi. Luke did this for two reasons, 1 - to replace his previous lost saber of course, and 2 - if he's able to build his own lightsaber, then that shows how far his training as a Jedi has come along.
Right, he had to build a new one, because in the Empire strikes back, his hand gets chopped off and the lightsaber goes falling into the darkness. Not knowing where it went. Sure Luke jumped off and went down a ventilation shaft, but he didn't pick up his lightsaber.

Master_Craig said:
But also, the change of lightsaber colour (blue to green) was due to film reasons. In Return of the Jedi, Luke was originally supposed to have a blue lightsaber, but they found that the lightsaber blade was too difficult to see during the sail barge scene. So they changed it to green to help make it stand out. They also wanted to surprise the audience with "Oh he's got a new lightsaber!"
It would make sense to have him have a new lightsaber, since he lost his. Here's his green lightsaber in Return of the Jedi
hqdefault.jpg

Different hilt, different colour. Not the same as the one he lost

Master_Craig said:
As to who retrieved his lightsaber or why, no idea, that's an interesting question that will hopefully be revealed in the next film.
Exactly my point. The lightsaber was lost and it's quite weird the Skywalker's lightsaber has been found and it was like Rey's destiny to find it. I can almost guarantee Luke will tell Rey to keep it and begin her jedi training.

By they way, the lightsaber I posted on the previous page is a picture of my Force FX lightsaber. It's been 4-5 years since I bought it and it's not broken.

cyberjim2000 said:
What do you guys think of BB-8? Truthfully, I kinda hated R2-D2. BB-8 kinda grew on me though.
BB-8 is cute and R2-D2 is a badass. I feel BB-8 was made to entertain kids. I did find it obvious R2-D2 was in low powered mode and holding on to the rest of Luke's location.

UghRochester said:
Master_Craig said:
Master_Craig said:
Right, he had to build a new one, because in the Empire strikes back, his hand gets chopped off and the lightsaber goes falling into the darkness. Not knowing where it went. Sure Luke jumped off and went down a ventilation shaft, but he didn't pick up his lightsaber.

It's really not that much of a stretch though; especially for a society that has droids. He could return to Bespin/Cloud City to approximately the spot he was picked up from at the end of ESB. From there they could've approximated a square mileage of area it would've landed on Bespin's surface. I'm sure there is a solid reason they went with the blue saber instead of the green one, I'm sure they didn't just write it in and forget that he lost it in ESB.

As far as BB8, if you consider that R2 is a little ghetto bot, BB8 is his little homie from the hood.

Kylo Ren is arguably the best villain in the star wars universe.

Think about it, you have a guy who is struggling to be EVIL, and throughout the entire movie you get the feeling of menace from him, but not confidence. Even when he killed his father he was still unsure...the look on his face when Han touched his cheek...priceless.

I really, really like his characterization. It makes Anakin Skywalker look like shit in comparison.

I loved BB-8. Such a great Droid.

As for Luke's saber, yeah, he did lose it in the Empire Strikes Back, but the point I was making was that in Return of the Jedi, he did build a new lightsaber because A - he had to, and B - it showed his level and progress as a Jedi.

Originally, Luke's newly constructed lightsaber was supposed to be blue (just like his old lightsaber), but the film makers decided to make it green so that the lightsaber blade would further stand out, particularly in the sail barge scene. In the sail barge scene, a blue blade blended in too much with the blue sky, it was too difficult to see.

Another reason for the green bladed lightsaber is to show the audience that Luke is, in a sense, becoming his own man/Jedi. Perhaps in the new trilogy, Rey may end up building her very own lightsaber?

I agree with StickyGreenGamer. The planet Bespin does actually have a surface, so there's a chance that someone (maybe Luke, maybe someone else) used some sort of technology (a ship, Droids, whatever) to go retrieve Luke's saber. Woulda been like trying to find a needle in a haystack. We don't know who went looking for it or why, but hopefully we will find out in the next episode. :)

Optimus-Crime said:
1. Finn is evil

What's wrong with Finn?

I liked him way more than Rey, that's for sure.

Longo_2_guns said:
Optimus-Crime said:
1. Finn is evil

What's wrong with Finn?

I liked him way more than Rey, that's for sure.
Disagree with you on this. I enjoy Rey more. At least she's trying to help and not run away like Finn kept trying to do.

UghRochester said:
Disagree with you on this. I enjoy Rey more. At least she's trying to help and not run away like Finn kept trying to do.
See, that's the point though. Finn starts out the movie as a guy who is only in it for himself, and finds something to fight for by the end. It's simple, effective character development.
Whereas Rey has no motivation to do anything. Ever. She's just there to do whatever task the plot needs.

Going to see it in IMAX 3D in a couple hours with my girlfriend. I have not spoiled anything for her. Hope I chose a good time being the latest showing the night before Christmas eve.

Longo_2_guns said:
UghRochester said:
See, that's the point though. Finn starts out the movie as a guy who is only in it for himself, and finds something to fight for by the end. It's simple, effective character development.
Whereas Rey has no motivation to do anything. Ever. She's just there to do whatever task the plot needs.
Finn is just trying to get laid. Reminds me of Han Solo in A New Hope.

Just got back. There was like a total of 18 people in all of the Imax theater. Every couple got their own row and I got to sit in the exact center of the theater. The bathroom was right next to the bathrooms so when I had to run to piss I could still hear the conversation in the movie. All pluses if you ask me.

I will try to keep this quick.

The IMAX 3D was handled well and I would say it was worth seeing it that way. I did have a bit of nausea but it was because the theater was being heated to like 88F even though it is only 50F outside. Next time I will wear shorts and sandals.

Rey had plenty of character development. She was learning to use the force, how to depend on others, and accepting that her destiny is away from her home planet.

Kylo Ren ,played by Adam Driver, was cool and reminded me a lot of the way Revan looked in Kotor. While Adam Driver may have had a good acting run on TV I would say he had a weak performance in this movie.

Overall I would say the movie was pretty good and was an enjoyable time at the mostly empty theater. The environmental destruction special effects alone make this movie worth seeing.

Sourdeez said:
Kylo Ren ,played by Adam Driver, was cool and reminded me a lot of the way Revan looked in Kotor.

I had actually meant to touch on that. I saw quite a bit of influence in this movie from KOTOR, SWTOR, and the EU itself. They may not have brought it all in the fold, but they seemed like they at least tried to pay some homage.

After seeing the film a the second time to focus more on the new characters instead of patiently waiting for the original actors and actress, I have a new guess what will happen.

Okay, so when Rey discovers Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber, she has visions of the her past and little bit into the future. The one in the past shows her being separated and you can hear Kylo Ren's voice saying "Let's go" or something like that. Her future vision you can see she sees Kylo Ren out in the snowy woods. After those visions, I sh*t you not you can hear in a sound mist away "There were the first tests." I believe, this was all a Jedi trial created by Luke. Leia and Han both knew who Rey was. My evidence to support this is due to the fact Maz asked Han "Who's the girl" and it cuts the scene out. We know Han told her about she was found by Han and Chewie in the Millennium Falcon, but Han could have told her more. Also, how did Princess Leia know Rey knows about The Force? When Rey was leaving to find Luke, Leia said "May the Force be with you." Also, speaking of Leia and her force abilities. She felt the disturbance of Han dying. She still has her force power. The Empire Strikes Back, she used the force to find where Luke is. How come she didn't do that again to find her brother? Like I said, I feel these we were all just a test to Rey.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle