Far Cry 2

GRColin

Rookie
When I first saw screenshots for Far Cry 2 I didn't know what to expect when I actually sat down to play the game. The original was great up until the third quarter and then what made it great was gone. Even with the inclusion of the beasties, it added suspense and a scare factor...Until that third act. It was basically Return to Castle Wolfenstein on an island.

Upon hearing Far Cry 2 had no genetically altered specimens I got to thinking they were just trying to cash in on the name of the original. Boy was I wrong. After just a few minutes of Far Cry 2 I could already tell this game was something special for the FPS genre. It felt vast and open ended, it offers up gorgeous and I really mean gorgeous visuals, great sound and tight controls. It even has a decent story!

I haven't tried the console versions but I hear they're a little different than the PC. Has anyone here played much of Far Cry 2 or have any interest in doing so? Can I just drive around, randomly find the Jackal and kill him or do I have to wait until I get to that point in the main missions?

Discuss Far Cry 2 here.

I kinda didn't like this game. It gets pretty repetitive about halfway into it. It's cool at first but the repetition gets old quick.

It could be really fun...But being shot at every where you possibly travel gets really f****** annoying.

I agree, and I hated how they would send knew guards to checkpoints no matter how many times you killed them. It would be nice to be able to create a safe path after taking so many people out. Not to mention if you don't run into anyone for a little bit it seems that a random "scout vehicle" will find you.

:(.

Well hopefully it remains fun for a few more hours at least.

I do find that annoying about the never ending supply of guards at checkpoints you had already laid waste to.

There were two things I liked about this game. The fire physics (light a tree on fire, it'll light the surrounding bush and flammable things on fire), and the part where you bite the bullet out of wherever you got hit. Besides that, I couldn't stand it. The constant.. I mean CONSTANT.. every minute or so, getting out to repair your vehicle, I couldn't stand that. Also, the fact you can barely go anywhere without being shot at. Finally, the fact you had god damn malaria or whatever disease. i'd get dizzy whenever that guy's head started to spin.. and it always happened at the most inconvenient times. What a waste of a rental.

Random battles in the roads for no apparent reason no matter how many times the guards have died
EXTREME repetitiveness
No fast travel, meaning up to 5 minutes worth of fucking driving
VERY bland textures and crappy HDR(whoever said Far-Cry 2 looks awesome is either blind or an absolute FC fanboy)
Stupid shooting physics (come on, how in the HELL can someone keep shooting after they've had 3 bullets to the left flank?)
CRAPPY fire engine (again, whoever said it was good is blind. The fire in FC2 had NO spread whatsoever. Fire in the middle of AFRICA will burn for longer than 40 seconds)
Malaria. Wow! What a way to spice up a game! make the main character get infected with a deadly disease that happens at the worst possible times!
Online. Seriously, what dickhead thought it would be a good idea to make ranked matches the only things that count to get permanent diamonds and upgrades, or how about the ranked system how EVERYBODY has to be ready'd up.

Overall, not a very good game at all.
Played it for about 2 hours in the story, and literally gave up all hope of it being a good game.

Far-Cry 2 was the biggest letdown game in 2008, and Ubisoft should be SHOT for some of the STUPID things they did with this game.

It's no where near as terrible as madster says...It's just that the things we've mentioned really get on your nerves after a while.

Green_Lantern said:
It's no where near as terrible as madster says...It's just that the things we've mentioned really get on your nerves after a while.

That's why I've taken a break from it. Then it won't seem as annoying when I go back to it.

I took a break from it and started playing Fallout 3 on the PC. Then I got Fallout on Xbox 360, and I was playing Fallout and then I stopped caring about fallout 2...and then I played more fallout.

madster111 said:
Random battles in the roads for no apparent reason no matter how many times the guards have died
EXTREME repetitiveness
No fast travel, meaning up to 5 minutes worth of fucking driving
VERY bland textures and crappy HDR(whoever said Far-Cry 2 looks awesome is either blind or an absolute FC fanboy)
Stupid shooting physics (come on, how in the HELL can someone keep shooting after they've had 3 bullets to the left flank?)
CRAPPY fire engine (again, whoever said it was good is blind. The fire in FC2 had NO spread whatsoever. Fire in the middle of AFRICA will burn for longer than 40 seconds)
Malaria. Wow! What a way to spice up a game! make the main character get infected with a deadly disease that happens at the worst possible times!
Online. Seriously, what dickhead thought it would be a good idea to make ranked matches the only things that count to get permanent diamonds and upgrades, or how about the ranked system how EVERYBODY has to be ready'd up.

Overall, not a very good game at all.
Played it for about 2 hours in the story, and literally gave up all hope of it being a good game.

Far-Cry 2 was the biggest letdown game in 2008, and Ubisoft should be SHOT for some of the STUPID things they did with this game.

Could not agree more. This could have been awesome, but i think it suffers from 'console-itist', the disease where a game is handicapped because of its console development.

I pretty much agree with everything thats been said about it. Fun as hell at first...until you realize you are doing the same fuckin thing over and over again. The random scout vehicles and guards get so annoying.

keepithowitis said:
BigZell2020 said:
The random scout vehicles and guards get so annoying.
Yeah, seriously. I never knew there were that many people in Africa to begin with.

I love how they shoot at you from a quarter mile away, even though you're driving one of their vehicles. They must have telescopic vision.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod