Eastern RPGs VS. Western RPGs

An RPG (in videogames) would allow you to choose stats that affect your player's choices. If player input does not effect the story of the game, it is not a roleplaying game. A game with an abundance of quests but no choices involved with these quests, is not a role playing game.

Ofcourse this means that 99 % of games called roleplaying games are not roleplaying games. But we are discussing RPGs on their terms. Although they are not fundamentally RPGs they are still fun, in a way. They are dungeon crawlers.

but RPGS wouldnt be around or mainstream if it wasnt for games like final fantasy. with that, they get the upper hand because the eastern RPGS are the basis of many themes and the like that western RPGS adopted too.

i dont care wether eastern nor western as long as i enjoy the game . .lol

Western obviously! I mean, I do like final fantasy and a few other japanese rpg's, but stuff like deus ex, fallout, oblivion - beats it anyday.

I find all this discussion about the wonderful storytelling in Japanese RPGs pretty amusing. Has anyone else noticed that 99.9% of all entries on lists of RPG-cliches come from Japanese products? Sorry, but another amnesiac boy with hidden potential for greatness is not original. I know that this is a generalization and that there are some very original storylines to be had. My gripe then is that the real selling points of the game are the cutscenes. Honestly, I dislike all of the Final Fantasy games past III (US SNES) because I feel like I'm watching a movie, only every few minutes I have to press a button to keep it going.

I like have personal choices and the consequences to go with them, which is why Western RPGs hold so much more appeal. While my friends were busy choosing between Fire and Water elementals, I was choosing the fates of entire populations in the Fallout series. While they were pushing auto-attack to speed through an hour of random battles, I was pushing every ability to it's limit while exploring the lands of Morrowind. They are called Role-Playing Games, and that means that I should be the one to create the character and direct the flow of the story, not push a button every five minutes for visual effects.

That's an awesome username and an awesome post. What happened to this guy?

Any more thoughts on this topic? Let's reflect on the last year of gaming? Who had a better showing, Western or Japanese RPGs?

Eastern RPGs. Their visuals are eye candies and are really appealing to me.

First, and RPG is a game were you supposedly take decisions that affect the story and those around the main character. WOW that's really mind blowing isn't it? Well, games like that were made about a 1000 years ago.

About WRPGs vs ERPGs. Western, DEFINITELY. Can't stand the emo stuff from the japs, the gay faced main characters, the half naked girls that KEEP BENDING OVER, and the just plain ridiculous costumes... and weapons.

Western RPGs tend to have more of a... gruffiness to them.

Japan made plenty of Roguelikes, and I did like Magical Starsign (from Japan). So I guess the Eastern RPGs. I guess I'm used to them.

TheVaultDweller said:
First, and RPG is a game were you supposedly take decisions that affect the story and those around the main character. WOW that's really mind blowing isn't it? Well, games like that were made about a 1000 years ago.
What dou you mean 1000 years ago? RPGs were invented in the 1960s.

About WRPGs vs ERPGs. Western, DEFINITELY. Can't stand the emo stuff from the japs, the gay faced main characters,
its the style and the characters are beautiful because tehy are a reflection of their inner soul, did you ever read literature? it's a well-known literary resource (like the blonde prince Myshkin in Dostoevsky's The Idiot vs. the dark and brooding Rogozhin)

the half naked girls that KEEP BENDING OVER
OMG?!?! you cant say that they're so kawaii ^_^

i wish i had a japanese girlfriend :oops:
/me sobs uncontrollably.

and the just plain ridiculous costumes... and weapons.
The costumes are indredibly creative and beautiful: it's the reason why some people cosplay and wear them. I agree with the weapons, they tend to be rather bigger than standard anime but I guess it's part of Amano's style (he's a creative genius well recognized in japan and outside as well so your logic just failed lol).

Western RPGs tend to have more of a... gruffiness to them.
they are ugly i cant stand playing those character with huge beards and abs i would rather play a sensible hero

Well, that's the difference. You prefer sobbing emo heroes, that's okay, its a style.
About the 1000 years, ITS IRONY, BECAUSE NOT A FUCKING GOOD RPG HAS BEEN RELEASED IN THE LAST YEARS. (As I see it)

I live in a certain country in Asia and I am proud of the MMO's around the continent. But it doesnt mean I like it, because most of the MMO's here are purely recycled crap. So the west has my vote.

TheVaultDweller said:
ITS IRONY, BECAUSE NOT A f****** GOOD RPG HAS BEEN RELEASED IN THE LAST YEARS. (As I see it)
including the Diablo series? OMFG.

personalmgt said:
I live in a certain country in Asia and I am proud of the MMO's around the continent. But it doesnt mean I like it, because most of the MMO's here are purely recycled crap. So the west has my vote.
stop right there WHAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT nonono ninininininininininini !!

Japanese MMORPGS are the best

world of crapcraft just is a blatant copy paste of awesome japanese design i mean lol just llook at the night elves they copied them straight from Mu's elves.

TheVaultDweller said:
including the Diablo series? OMFG.
OMG i thought the same
Even though Dialbo is an ARPG but its more of an rpg then Fallout i mean lol there are no elves

I expect I am opening the door to a world of forum hurt here, but... ah screw it, here goes something.

My vote goes to the Western school of RPGs on the whole, though there's some distinct merit to the Eastern school.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that Role Playing Games, by definition, require the player to make decisions that control the outcome of the storyline. Absolutely correct; and by this definition, no video or computer game has ever been a full-fledged RPG. The closest experience you'll ever have is by playing a pen and paper RPG like Shadowrun or D&D, and even then only if you've got a great GM.

The Western school of RPG design has primarily been to give the player a lot of control in generating his character and what the character does in the game; this tends to mean more open settings, worlds, and situations - and a lot less detail. When you have to account for fifty possible solutions to the same situation, it becomes extraordinarily difficult to force a particular bad-ass conversation or a notable plot point. Coincidentally, a lot of the dramatic potential in most Western RPGs needs to be set up behind the scenes; it's extremely difficult to force a situation in a Western-styled RPG without pulling the player out of the scenario. It feels wrong, given how much control you have over everything else, to be unable to concoct a strategy to fool your epic foes.

In examples of Western RPGs that have forced situations - KotOR, Baldur's Gate 2 - frequently those forced situations are the weakest in the game, the least enjoyable.

The Eastern school of RPG design has focused heavily upon fantastical situations, dramatic storylines, excellent visuals, and a lot of over-the-top style. Frequently, character control is minimal, usually pertaining only to how effective the character is in combat, and the dialogue and situations are all carefully scripted. The good of this is that there are more moments of impact in the story, and there's a lot more control over what the player does. There's still room to give the player things to do on the side, and these can even impact the storyline's outcome - collecting all 108 characters in a Suikoden game, for example, affects the ending without really changing the story on the road to the ending very much. All the dramatic potential arises from a script, however, and all the stories of the game are ultimately the same.

In examples of Eastern RPGs that have departed from the super-scripted mentality - Chrono Trigger, Romancing SaGa - the game as a whole has felt stronger for the player's ability to direct the storyline towards the ends he wants.

I can point to a lot of Eastern RPGs I've liked, and I can point to plenty of Western RPGs I haven't - I'm lookin' at you, Witcher - but the capacity for decision making is vastly more appealing to me than any other factor in an RPG. The whole question of character design is wholly irrelevant to me - yeah, I tend to prefer gruffer characters with more nuance and less melodrama to them, but if a 17 year old effeminate, emo kid with a ten foot sword is the main character in a better game, I'll play the better game every time.

UndeadAreGo said:
I find all this discussion about the wonderful storytelling in Japanese RPGs pretty amusing. Has anyone else noticed that 99.9% of all entries on lists of RPG-cliches come from Japanese products? Sorry, but another amnesiac boy with hidden potential for greatness is not original. I know that this is a generalization and that there are some very original storylines to be had. My gripe then is that the real selling points of the game are the cutscenes. Honestly, I dislike all of the Final Fantasy games past III (US SNES) because I feel like I'm watching a movie, only every few minutes I have to press a button to keep it going.

I like have personal choices and the consequences to go with them, which is why Western RPGs hold so much more appeal. While my friends were busy choosing between Fire and Water elementals, I was choosing the fates of entire populations in the Fallout series. While they were pushing auto-attack to speed through an hour of random battles, I was pushing every ability to it's limit while exploring the lands of Morrowind. They are called Role-Playing Games, and that means that I should be the one to create the character and direct the flow of the story, not push a button every five minutes for visual effects.

Quoted for absolute truth. Took the words right out of my mouth.

However.

One thing I enjoy a lot more in eastern RPGs is the fact that, like someone had previously stated the boss fights feel epic. Mass Effect's boss battles were tense, definitely, but the cinematics in eastern RPGs (when it comes to boss fights) are always some of the best.

Overall however, I'd prefer Western RPGs for the same exact reasons UndeadAreGo said.

For me, I honestly do not have a preference between the two. While every single eastern rpg seems to have the basics of "amnesiac teen boy and gang of misfits save the world even though they face unbeatable odds," to me almost every western rpg is "unnamed person rises up to become most powerful person in the universe. And guess what? IT'S YOU!!!!!". Many western rpgs seem to sacrifice storytelling and story in general and replace them with "choices". Now I haven't played fallout, and I'm guessing this is an exception, but the choices you're given make no difference whatsoever. It may change the ending up a little, but ultimately nothing has changed. You may go in a different direction for a little while, but it ends up like a 2D image of DNA. Though it may go of in one direction for a little while, no matter what choice you took you will come up to the same spot to get a new choice and repeat the process.

With character creation, all it does is it makes the game personal. However, it makes it impossible to present a likable character when it differs from person to person. The person can only be as cool as you make them, which keeps them from being cool because really it is just you that is being cool.

Another thing is Western rpgs tend to feature a bunch more leveling up of non-combat skills. Like, "I would have a higher strength making it easy to kill my enemies, but my lockpicking was too low to get into some doors and I couldn't get any items."

But back to plot, it always seems to me that the plot will always be lesser. Whenever something happens, the end result usually feels empty. Like when Aeris died, it was shocking because not only did you come to like the character but it was so unexpected. When it is revealed that you are Darth Revan, you have a moment of "no way!" and then it passes. "The reapers are going to destroy all life!" So, what, I just kill them all? "The amulet of kings has been stolen!" Well now I guess I'll just go and do MORE work. You never grow to hate your enemies and you never grow to care about the cause. Hell, even "You had amnesia and you've been pretending to be a dead person for years," "you had amnesia and actually don't exist," and "you've had amnesia and was actually raised by the person you've sworn to kill," seems to be more exciting and more satisfying.

Longo_2_guns said:
Hell, even "You had amnesia and you've been pretending to be a dead person for years," "you had amnesia and actually don't exist," and "you've had amnesia and was actually raised by the person you've sworn to kill," seems to be more exciting and more satisfying.
And what about "You have amnesia and have been reincarnating ever since"?

I like the eastern stories. I prefer to follow a strong plot, than to choose tangents on a weak plot - pretty much what longo said. And in terms of fantasy costumes and ridiculous weapons - I think they are very cool and imaginative. So I am voting for Eastern.

East or West....hmmmmm^w^

For me both. i'm just appreciative about these guys who creates our favorite games^w^
For Example:
Kingdom Hearts - East and West collaboration = Great RPG Game for the PS2 right?
i love kigdom hearts, i love both east and west game developers.

West - The founder of the gaming world what we know today and still surprises with the new games.
East - innovative and has their originality.

THEY ROCK!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod